Burning Arrow

"
That the fire damage keys off of physical damage, while at the same time the skill has built in ignite chance; these two things are slightly at odds with each other. You want big fire damage to make the burns matter, but also, hey maximize physical damage at the same time.

Since it's converted from Physical, the Fire damage added by Burning Arrow is also increased by +%Physical. Going for %Fire is only worthwhile if you are pretty tricked out when it comes to %Physical, or when you have other sources of large flat Fire damage.

The support gem Added Fire Damage works the same, making it a perfect match (get it? Matches? Burning? Okay I'll leave now).
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Since it's converted from Physical, the Fire damage added by Burning Arrow is also increased by +%Physical. Going for %Fire is only worthwhile if you are pretty tricked out when it comes to %Physical, or when you have other sources of large flat Fire damage.

I was not talking about the skill tree, and the 6% elemental clusters are never the correct choice to take for an attack-based character.

I was talking about itemization.

To be fair, there isn't really much itemization when it comes to attackers, you just stack +elemental damage (each mod the equal of +100% physical damage, that you can wear on your rings) and attack as fast as possible...

... well when you think about it, it is kind of crummy.

The burn is equal to 50% of your physical damage, plus 160% of say three fire mods you can scavenge up. Which is +900 damage a hit if you have +340% projectile damage alongside +weapon elemental damage. Which would be impressive if it could stack, but we're talking 224 damage a second in reality here.

There 'oughta be a better use for this skill than as a throw-away, mana efficient beginner skill.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Feb 2, 2013, 10:02:01 PM
sorry to be lost here trying to understand but. projectile damage and elemental damage stack additively for burning arrow, also normal physical too...
x phys *added% = y fire
x * (1 + %phys + %projectile)
y * (1 + %phys + %ele +%projectile)
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
sorry to be lost here trying to understand but. projectile damage and elemental damage stack additively for burning arrow, also normal physical too...
x phys *added% = y fire
x * (1 + %phys + %projectile)
y * (1 + %phys + %ele +%projectile)

tested it and yes it seems so (at least the 30% increased phys dmg from the unique quiver does increase the fire dmgpart - dont know if phys passive bow skills do - I didnt take any with my build)

I think this could be a bug because it isnt logical to me. I think it is ok that converted pyhs dmg to lightning/cold/fire is affected by phys dmg as it was phys dmg before the convert, but added firedamage is new (base) fire dmg.

Could we plz have a developers statement if this is considered a bug or not?
Added Fire damage is still based on Physical damage. Why wouldn't it benefit from more Physical damage? *shrug*
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Added Fire damage is still based on Physical damage. Why wouldn't it benefit from more Physical damage? *shrug*

1. because of build diversity.
Why should everything benefit from everything? Why even choose increased fire dmg or increased elemental dmg or increased phys dmg... when it is all the same? Just remove all different dmg stats and make it one "increased dmg" then it would be logical at least...
So "convert to fire dmg" is basically the same like "added fire dmg" but way worse because you loose your ability to leech... Thats a stupid system!

2. Imho the added fire dmg has nothing to do with phys dmg, only its amount is based of the phys amount. It never WAS phys dmg (unlike converted fire dmg) it is NEW ADDED ADDITIONAL fire dmg (like the fire dmg on a ring but not a flat amount)

3. Balancing:
- "Converted dmg" has to benefit from phys dmg because otherwise it would be completely useless, you would either loose a lot of phys dmg or ele dmg depending on your choice of dmg modifiers
- "Added Fire dmg" is good enough. You already get more dmg using this. There is no need that it also benefits from phys dmg. If you want to increase both dmg-parts there already is the much more rare "projectile dmg".
"
Azrael wrote:
Why should everything benefit from everything? Why even choose increased fire dmg or increased elemental dmg or increased phys dmg... when it is all the same?

Except it's not.
By increasing your Fire/Elemental damage, you only improve your Fire damage. Physical damage increases your, well, Physical damage, which in turn increases your Fire damage.

Added Fire is only good if you have no Converted Damage and focus heavily on Physical damage. Additionally, there are often other supports that add similar damage; LMP, Added Physical, Faster Attacks... I don't really see it crippling build diversity, to be honest.

"
azraelb wrote:
2. Imho the added fire dmg has nothing to do with phys dmg, only its amount is based of the phys amount. It never WAS phys dmg (unlike converted fire dmg) it is NEW ADDED ADDITIONAL fire dmg (like the fire dmg on a ring but not a flat amount)

You have Fire damage based on that Physical damage. You increase your Physical damage. Why would you not deal more Fire damage?

"
Azrael wrote:
- "Added Fire dmg" is good enough.

Then why are you hell-bent on getting it nerfed.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 7, 2013, 11:01:47 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Added Fire is only good if you have no Converted Damage and focus heavily on Physical damage.

Added fire adds based off of the physical damage before all conversions take place. Even if all of your physical damage is converted away you will still gain the full benefit of Added Fire Damage.
IGNs-
Gyeff // Greff // Gyaff
Last edited by geffreyy on Mar 5, 2013, 2:19:23 PM
Yep, I later learned that as well. :p
In my opinion, Added Fire Damage is still one of the last supports you will want for this skill. Only use it for your 5L single-target version of Burning Arrow, or if you have a 6L you can use it in the AoE version.

Single-target: Burning Arrow + Weapon Elemental Damage + Fire Penetration + Chance to Ignite + Added Fire Damage

AoE: same but with Elemental Proliferation
Visit the Path of Exile Wiki at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info