13c for a t14 map in a dead league

"
Fermistats wrote:

First, I am very new to the game. Been playing about 3 weeks. Level 82 is my highest character. I would say I "sustain" t6 maps, and once or twice a day I get to run a t7 or t8 map. I fill in every new map for bonus objective, and I'm at 52% on the atlas. I run them at rare, not really trying for Pack Size, although they are usually over 20%.

Hey there,

welcome to poe :)

Running lower tier maps in this league isnt bad as long as you can clear incursions well.
This way you can build the temple you want to and loot potential upgrades.
However more importantly: The temples level will be determined by the average level of the 3 highest incursion you entered (not even completed). So if you build a temple with a tier 3 map room, you want to complete the temple on the 3 highest maps you have. Say its 3 t8s. Even if you achieve nothing in t8 incursions, its still good.
Now the temple is also t8, every mob can drop maps of that tier and the map room will also drop accordingly.

Also as a general advice:
Invite Zana to your hideout, do her daily mission every day and check her inventory for maps she sells.
If you share daily missions and her map pool with your son, you should be able to level Zana and unlock more maps to sustain higher tiers quickly.
Another important trick to unlock maps is to vendor 3x the same map and get another map 1 tier higher in return. Again: If you share your pool with your son and you do the unlocks together, both of you should be doing a lot better in the long run.

Have a good one and enjoy
Last edited by Orbaal on Jun 23, 2018, 6:51:31 PM
"
Fermistats wrote:

I don't want to use trading

I know this isn't the OP, but pretty much /thread

As stated before, temple poops out red tier maps like...candy? To those who won't trade, you will sustain higher maps, it will just be much more of a grind. This is true across all drops, your gear, currency, maps, etc. It's a choice you make.
I have no doubt that the temple can be a great source of maps once one can "farm" it. Also I think some builds struggle more with the incursions than others, trading or not.

Just pointing out that without the temple as a source of maps, there is a pretty serious wall/climb at t6, t7, t8 maps. And the wall isn't because the maps are too hard actually. I just don't see very many higher tier map drops.

Thanks Orbaal for the details of temple levels. I had a vague idea about higher incursions = higher temples, but wasn't aware of the specifics. I do Zana's daily, and so far purchasing from her is my best source of t7 maps.

It's all good. There's no satisfaction if there isn't at least a little challenge. Just have to keep a good balance.
Last edited by Fermistats on Jun 23, 2018, 9:03:09 PM
Yeah I bought most of my yellow and red maps in bestiary, what a huge huge waste of currency.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
"
HappyRogue wrote:
This league sucks dude, maps should be 5c a piece.

If you think about it, with how the value of chaos has dropped this league maps are closer to where you want them to be.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Bestiary was shit for map drops.
I never trade for maps, it seems to go against the idea and fun of the system to me.

There are strategies for maps. Zana is one. You can just push, and in terms of potential this has the best, you play your highest maps and just push push push at it hoping to get the most lucky chains of +lvl map drops.

If you want to build in a more sustainable way though sometimes slower is better. You seem to have no real trouble sustain t6? Ok well then play almost all ur t6s, milk that entire bracket and just keep all the t7/t8s. Then go down to y5s and rebuild ur t6 maps from running them. Then when you have a stock of t7s you go in and bash half of them. Then go back to t6s and run them all down again.

Its all about rng streaks. You might go 5 maps in a row without a good return, but its rly hard to go 15 maps in a row without any returns, thats highly highly unlikely. So if you had say four t7 maps, you might just go on a streak all the way to t15 from those maps alone and sustain high reds for the rest of the league. Or, they might all brick and your back down to t6. When you have say thirty+ t7 maps, the chance of them all bricking is almost impossible. You can run say 12 of them, and ur unlikely to not get some returns, and then you can go down to t6 and build up more t7s again and so forth. You get too big to fail at some point. So if you work below t7 to build up a pool of t7s thats a lot harder to completely brick, and then you work your t6 + t7 brackets to build up a pool of t8s and so forth then progress is a lot more steady and sustainable. Its a slower process, the correct strat if you were racing to get as high as possible asap would be to rush your highest maps and hope for rng to fall in your favour, but its potentially volatile.

In leagues sometimes I rush, sometimes I build, sometimes I just let myself stick around chaining the low end. In standard long long ago I got past the point where I had over 100 maps in every tier and sustain of all tiers became absolute. I have so many high maps now that vendoring up all white and yellow maps 3 to 1 at the npc vendors means theres a constant stream of t11s bulking up that bottom end tier of where I play which is t11+, and I bounce around all tiers of red maps, never playing one tier long enough to run it dry, or even significantly dent it, most of them Ill have 300+ maps in that tier on hand at all points. My rng there is no different to anyone anywheres, in fact its worse than leagues with their extra loot explosion mechanics, yet I could run all my maps blue in standard and sustain all tiers forever simply because I have enough maps to survive any realistic dry spell and get back to a lucky streak that will replenish me and grow my map base.

I think over a large enough sample size, a large enough time frame, map bases always grow if you are rolling them and clearing them properly. Infinite sustain is all about building up your base to be large enough to ride out the ups and downs that are inevitable with the rng of it. Thats why you tend to see the no lifers who play fast clearing powerful builds rarely struggling, theyre brute forcing past the rng +/- swings with sheer volume of play. Someone elses unlucky week that feels rly bad is their unlucky 3 hour patch in their 10 hour mapping spree that day that is soon forgotten when the next 3 hours bounces back.

Its the same with any rng right? ppl in a position to use 100-150 fusing per week find 6 linking a rly impossible task that only happens when the stars align. Ppl in a position to use 3500-4500 fusing per week feel like 6 linking is just a given, youll always get it eventually, its taken for granted ull link ur gear. Rly, everyone is having the same rng, virtually everyone will get there given X amount of tries, but the window we tend to look through has a limited time frame, we always view it within a time span tolerance and its all about 'is this individual repeating the task enough times to ride out the swings within the time frame', if the answers yes then they tend to have massive steady success rates, if the answer is no then they are the sort of person who is at the mercy of the rng and they will either feel really lucky or really unlucky. With maps you can either rush and put yourself in the hands of rng or take a step back and try to build a sustained map pool that requires much larger and rarer potential unlucky streaks to break.
Chimera map is 38-39 chaos lmao shit's retarded.

On the other hand if you pop a nice lvl 83 temple (all you need to do is complete 2 t16 incursions and the rest any red maps, not for everybody but there it is) with that sweet ass map room, it pours.
Second-class poe gamer
Last edited by pr13st on Jun 24, 2018, 8:54:28 AM
Thanks Snorkle for the map progression description, complete with RNG streaks. It actually helps and seems to be consistent with my limited experience. I think maybe the grumbling is caused by a mismatch between expectations and reality. I see 2 reasons for this.

First, as one moves through the regular campaign, there really is no roadblock. You go as fast as your character can take you. The same thing happens in very early mapping. You get a bunch of t1, t2 maps, and soon you're doing t3, t4. Your expectation is that you'll be able to quickly push to the highest map tier that your build/skill can take you. But the reality (in my case at least) is that higher tier map supply becomes a choke point. The obstacle can be overcome by the methods you describe, but there is no warning that you won't be allowed to do map content that is challenging for your build/skill.

Second, there is that bonus objective percentage on the atlas. I haven't kept track of my statistics, but I swear there's something else going on. When it shows a 50% chance for a higher map to drop, you expect that 50% of your tier 7 runs will drop a tier 8. But if I run 4 tier 7s (I know, small sample), I should be just as likely to get 3 or 4 tier 8s as I am to get 0 or 1, but 0 or 1 seems to be more common for me. Could just be selective memory.

Maybe the game could do a better job of informing the player of map progression reality.
Thats not how the atlas bonus works :)

If you drop loot and a map happens to be among the loot, rng will determine the maps tier.
In this moment you got a 50% chance that map tier is 1 level higher than it would be without bonus.
So once you hit 100% tier1 maps shouldnt drop anymore.

But ofc chances for higher tier maps are worse than for lowtier maps.
So the bonus does help and its really good, but its not as good as you expected.

Key is refusing to give up and keep running maps stubbornly.
You will build a map pool over time and break into higher tiers. Dont worry about, just keep running maps and be smart about what maps you run.
Use Zana, vendor recipe and temple to help sustaining maps and you should be good.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info