How we Made PATH OF EXILE: ROYALE

I think you landed the joke perfectly, nobody had really anticipated that you could ACTUALLY play the game mode.

I had a ton of fun in that game mode, got myself half a dozen Rhoa Dinners and slew a hundred exiles and I would love to be able to do so in the future again. Honestly I can´t see that the Royale game mode as a standalone league with much development (though you already got all the key pieces up and running), but I would LOVE to see it as an occasional event maybe, or as a replacement for the Sarn Arena. Maybe you could somehow even connect ROYALE with Leo...
Hello
Battle Royale : POE Style, yes it was nice but how about crazy idea like this : make all gems usable at LVL 1 and let the fun begin :D least test it, might be fun :D

& remove player detection.
-
This was fun and with some fine tuning would be insane! I would love to see this as the main pvp in poe.
squad play, tower defense, make some other modes. start small. no need to waste too much resources. you can even get community to help make some if you want.
Ideally... yes, make it permanent (would love to be able to map, map, map, map, take break and pvp, map on...), BUT...

One hour/day/week rotations (experiment, see what the turnover rate/engagement level is), you start as a level 1 player, level 12 player, level 28 player, level 38 player, level 80 player with level appropriate drops & monster damage, same size arena, limit to 50 players, 1 min prep time for skill tree allocation...

I wouldn't think you would need to waste too much time on balance, as the level balances are fairly set already in game... the imbalance of split arrows domination was purely based on it being the only reliable AoE skill available at that level. I stayed and spectated quite a few matches (I loved this mode by the way, was actually quite fun to follow other players and see what killed/was killed by them), and the AoE dominance of Split Arrow, and to some extent Frost Blades (and I saw one Spark build get quite far) was what made it so overwhelming. So, my suggestion for this is, instead of EVERY level appropriate skill being able to drop, maybe limit it to sets. I.E. melee, ranged, spell/attack, whatever... Then shit would get interesting :D
I am quite frequently not so miserable as it would be wise to be - T.H. White

As playtime approaches infinity, access to content approaches unity.
- Azraeil (2014)
Last edited by StickDude on Dec 1, 2022, 7:17:14 PM
Bring it back each year for like a week around April fools or something, but as a standalone game mode i am not confident it will be sustainable past the initial novelty value. It was really fun but i don't know anyone who played it for like 8 hours straight or anything.

If you do make it permanent i would like it to be done in a way that doesn't impact league play or cost major development time.
I would love to see it back, although I couldn´t really play it myself.
The way to go in my opinion would be to integrate it into the core game as a Leo mission, or as a general arena mode.

But the one thing that really got me was the fact that for the first time ever, there was real pvp in PoE. The existing arena offers absolutely nothing, it´s ok once in a while but well, it´s always the same 2 or 3 builds in there.

So my vote would be a big yes - as a Leo mode. But don´t forget the rhoa dinner reward!
I really enjoyed Royale. I would like the idea of a standalone game mode with leader boards and ranked queuing. I think it would be really cool to implement a team system as well so people can group up and play with friends.

I'm not sure it is worth dedicating a lot of resources to it at first but considering the popularity of it, I think it is definitely worth keeping around and just following what the community asks for.

I say bring it back as an occasional (like one day a month) mode - just something to mix things up in the middle of a league.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info