How we Made PATH OF EXILE: ROYALE

It's a very good way to water up your grind sometimes. Yes, bring it back in some form of always available mode.
There is a sure way to die.

Билды - это листья на дереве Path of Exile. C каждым патчем одни опадают, и каждую лигу вырастают другие.
in retrospect, I realize I would benefit from a Character-Oriented Gear/Gem Filter....finding what worked for my character while keeping myself alive was something I did poorly...despite 30 to 50 attempts at ROYALE.

if it is possible to fashion a filter for specific gems and gear, then you need do nothing, unless you want to pick a FILTER OF THE FORTNITE or somesuch, to highlight the versatility and creativity of FILTER designers. If there are barriers to making character specific filters, please consider proposals to make it possible ?

basically, I'm an A.D.D. type and died 45/50 times on the beach. I really had to get into the Zen of seaside mortality.

I experienced WAY MORE Disconnects from Server while playing Standard League during PEAK ROYALE times.
I knew it was a PEAK ROYALE time because I would start a ROYALE session and 100 or nearly 100 exiles would be on hand at the start of action. I knew it wasn't peak time, when only 40 to 50 players or fewer were on hand at the start of action.

So some attention to relationship between ROYALE server loading and whatever server loading variation contributes to a corresponding variance rate of Disconnects for League Players would be most thoughtful.

Definately a standalone game . i could play this mode all day. its even better than the real game. i waited my whole liofe for this mode. it reminds me of playing d1 pvp. i would rate royale 15/10
I have already quit playing this league as I was not having fun trying to progress. Royal was some of the most fun I have had in PoE in a long time, and I have not played PoE since Royal went away. Not sure if I would play it only as a standalone mode, but I would like to see it come back often for sure.
I would love to play it! Bring it back!

Also its really fun to watch on twitch!
Dot point thoughts:

* I don't see myself playing it at all as a part of permanent mode. Advise running a second event after Bestiary with some balance changes and check player feedback/retention.

* Would be viable as a limited game mode between leagues. Essentially, a racing event alternative.

* As prizes, each Royale event could give out a new dinner hideout decoration. A lot of casual player participation is likely because we don't actually have a deluxe food decoration from Masters!

* If you decide to continue developing Royale for a second trial, consider keeping the rule "each developer spends one day max on project" or similar.

* Balance gets stale very quickly unless very well balanced: see Sunder Duelist meta in racing.

* If you decide to dedicate a lot of effort here are my recommendations for repeat. At minimum, a default loot filter must be provided. Then, to randomise meta so people have to explore it again, say:
** compress level/stat requirement and all gems drop
** all items dropped linked + all flasks drop magic
** Vaal/sarn City themed island
** Lore-ify event as a blood sport by Oriath. Teams of well-equipped blackguards herd players lazily towards the centre. Unique items only drop from slain blackguards.
I would love to see wackier modes in Path of Exile, actually, completely SSF and with no regard to standard balance. Path of Exile: Royale is a perfect candidate for such a mode, allowing players to get into quick gameplay loops, having their MTX shown off to their enemies (which could actually make people want to buy MTX, to look cool against their foes). Afterwards, the resulting items get sent to Void League and lost forever. This could work amazingly as a standalone mode, separate from Bestiary or Standard, as a periodic event, like runs of Endless Ledge, or even something like the March 26 Incident with crazy drop rates, except the enemies scale exponentially to try and match whatever insanity the player has made. They don't have to be balanced, they don't have to be flawless, they don't need to have a lot of effort put in, but just shorts bursts of fun to take players' minds off the main game.

Even the logo of Royale doesn't look like it had much effort put in and that's perfect.
Last edited by AUKL on Apr 4, 2018, 12:09:05 AM
I feel like having Royale as a standalone, always-available mode might be a bad idea, or at least a bad use of resources.

That said, I do love the mode and I would like to see it come back something like one weekend per month, or at the very minimum for the ~4-10 days of relative empty space in between leagues when there is nothing else to do but sort your Standard league stash tabs and wait for patch notes!

Thanks for giving us cool PvP. Playing 1v1 in a tiny arena gets old pretty fast, but Royale mode has a refreshing amount of replayability (and will have even more once it gets a balance pass).
i say make it an infrequent event. maybe 1 day twice a month. set up a cron and dont waste any more time on it, maybe make the reward a random weta pet or hideout decoration. IMO
Yes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info