How we Made PATH OF EXILE: ROYALE

No, dont allocate too much to it.
Another Idea would be to have players battling their way to the center of the map to fight a hugely large, like city size OP monster, in turn making players choose between avoid killing too much and cooperate at the end boss, kill everyone, or capture mobs then set, move and close in on them on the map, e.g. capture a rare monster, set it to a formation, set the formation on the map, click on the map where you want your formation to go, change screens to it, recall it for healing, etc. Adding multi-monitor support would be great :)
I know I'm just echoing a bunch of the ideas already in the thread at this point, but here's my two cents anyway.

As a regular temporary league Royale makes a bunch of sense. Perhaps a week long thing to run between leagues, or if there's going to be a longer downtime between leagues run it on one week off the next so it doesn't get stale, or maybe one to two weekends a month if you want it more regular than that. Or make use of Royale as a filler if more devtime/testing is needed for the next league, something along those lines. In my experience with royale and trying to play normally while it was running, it does cause some server issues, hence the thought to run it between leagues.

As its own PvP gamemode in a PvE-centric game...not so much. Many have pointed out that trying to balance PvP within a PvE game leads to some really weird balance issues at best, and downright breaking the core game at worst.

To that end, don't put too much devtime into it. The fact that you got a functioning gamemode working in a day speaks to about how much is needed, take a day, maybe two, tweak some drop tables, add an already existing mod or three from maps, potentially add a Leaguestone effect and related normally exclusive gear, maybe give everyone some base armor/resists rather than try and balance the gems directly. And if it doesn't work out, shrug oh well, iterate on it next time and don't sweat it. It's a mode that's well suited for utter chaos, weird shenanigans, and not taking too seriously from a development standpoint.

As for rewards...eh, hideout decorations, alt-art uniques (not thinking model changes, more like re-skins), maybe MTX mystery boxes from past leagues (or just the most recent league) if you really want to create some hype or keep people around during what would normally be a low population time period.

TL;DR It's a fun diversion from the main game. Worth bringing back between leagues, but not worth throwing huge amounts of dev resources at. Use the assets you already have to iterate on the idea, but don't sweat it when things go sideways.
I didn't play the mode since it isn't something I want out of PoE and also wasn't too interested in seeing it more than once from streamers. I can see why some might like it but I am much more in character development/trading and much more hoping for ongoing improvements of the core aspects of the game.
This is just my personal feedback on some possible options to implement into Poe Royale.

Also I LOVED this game mode. I really hope to see it become permanent.

Set of 15 starting skills to choose from and choice of regular grey weapon for all classes. Maybe rotate starting skills every week.

All skills or most available at level 1 as drops. Have more powerful spells weighted like Split aarow, frost blades, movement skills, maybe certain aura gems, ect.

Compartmentalize passive skill tree and make less passive nodes. (example maybe 1 passive and then a choice between 2 or 3 keystones.) Possibly throw in a choice of ascendancy at a certain level. Maybe even have your ascendancy point branch into the a second set of passives and keystones. Could add in jewel slots as well as a choice in the skill tree.

Add a good base of unique items. Scale them down if needed to fit into a low level pvp. Like possibly scale all uniques to level 10.

Obviously scale down some of the yellow monsters.

Try and spread it out just a little more so that after the initial beach battle you have a little time to swap gear and gems. Not much because they fast pace is what makes it fun but just enough so that Player can normally find a moment to look through their inventory real fast.

Add dous and squad. Possibly just solo and dou during the week and add the squad of 4 option on weekends to see if there is a large enough player base to support all 3.

From there just balance as needed and make changes as the player base learns and finds builds and tactics.
Then can add uniques, gems, and any other aspect as the game mode grows.
So much fun! You decide events or causual arpg mode. But seems more suitable to events and hideout rewards. Don't invest too much developer resources, I still want the next leagues for at least another year. :)
I wouldn't go All in, one day is not enough for an accurate Feedback, know how hype work it can be here today and disapear a day later ( i doubt it would in this case tho ).

Maybe you could enable it a weekend or two per month from now along your adjustements, a kind of bêta - And see how it goes on the long run.

You also have the possibility to run some more minigames like that and basicly rotate them, one per weekend ( long term goal of course need budget and stability first ), with the years i tend to think diversity is more healthy and target a larger public.

Just few toughts ^^

Hf :)
"
As a community, how do you feel we should proceed? Is it worth the resources to take this one-day prototype and polish it into a standalone supported game mode with ongoing improvements? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Yes, it should be implemented into the game.

You should host it on weekends, or whenever peak traffic is for you, several days if necessary. Rotate themes for these temporary versions! Witches only, spells only, Marauder and ranged attack only.. what ever you please, but spice things up.
IGN Harbinger: FrostyPolyp
Please continue developing this game mode! I would like to see it as a standalone game mode or as a regular event. It was the most fun thing I saw in PoE since PvP tournaments were run.
I would love to play POE: Royale again. I was always missing some fun PvP action for POE. But I agree that it might not sustain itself with enough players as a standalone mode (I got bored by it after around 1-2h, when I noticed how imbalanced it is). So I suggest invest some resources into it, and then bring it back every now and then, e.g. in between leagues, on weekends etc. Then you can continue improving it, and who knows, maybe it can become permanent one day.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info