Playing PoE without buying is impossible these days

Alright for all of you crying about PoE's business model can you please name any other f2p games that do it better? I always just see whining and no actual good comparisons to give good constructive criticism and explanations of why they should change their model for the benefit of both consumer and supplier.

Here I will do it for you.

Hey GGG I really love your game but I don't think mapping should be gated behind either paying for tabs or dealing with excruciating management of mules and second accounts. There is a game called dota2 that has everything unlocked from the beginning and the only purchasable items in game are cosmetics and that is the only thing you can spend money on. This company still makes large profits from cosmetics only because of the love for the game and support the community gives of their own free will. You too could take this approach GGG and profit. You have a zealous enough fan base they would support you too through cosmetics only because of the love for your game. The less greedy a company looks the more likely consumers are to give of their own free will.

See that was not hard.

I personally thing GGG has one of the best and most consumer friendly f2p models out there. GGG deserves to be discussed with the likes of valve with dota2 and TF2. I think GGG is just as good if not better then LoL or Paladins which are two well known games for having decent f2p models as well. Truth is no one bothers with comparing GGG to other companies in topics like this and just spam the same old TABS ARE NECESSARY argument. They don't bother to compare because even if you concede that 30-40$ could be necessary late game GGG still is miles above most f2p models.

Last edited by AKmill88 on Mar 19, 2018, 6:02:56 PM
"
k1rage wrote:
its not an issue because people can just buy the tabs again consult the picture

thats the business model

without tabs= pain the the ass

with tabs = not a pain in the ass

thats how they motivate you to spend money

It is strange how you believe "just barely fun" is a good thing.

But hey, let's not improve the experience for others.

You seem like a good person.
As I know K1Rage by way of forums.....name only....Might wanna think before running thoughts that aren't based on fact. Won't flame on you, but will tell you to not talk when you know NOTHING of the subject matter. Fair enough?
Man there is so much stupid from the OP in this thread where to begin.

First there are actual free to play games with shit models out there , that gate content , or give huge advantages to players who spend ( think 200-500 % xp increase items etc for purchase) This game only offers cosmetics and stash space neither of them do you NEED , their free to play model is probably the most user friendly in the gaming industry today .

Secondly again you dont need stash space to play the game . You can be far more choosy about what you pick up , or as many other posters have pointed out if you cant help but be a cheap crybaby you can always make mule accounts and they even give you tons of free character slots. Go create Items_char , maps_char , Currency_char , and on and on and use their inventory space. Mule to a completely free secondary account etc etc. You dont want to do that because you say it isnt fun and id agree it isnt but I am also an adult capable of spending 20 bucks for stash tabs so i dont have to bother with pretend issues because im not too lazy to work or have no job.

You have plenty of options yet here you are bitching about a company with perhaps the best free to play model in the industry. You sir are a shill and a worthless troll and i probably shouldn't have even bothered to respond but when ignorant , cheap , morons criticize a company with good policies toward their player base said base should probably come to their defense and point out where the OP has failed to use logic , or even simple market comparison to make a point.
Last edited by Artaniz on Mar 19, 2018, 6:11:16 PM
"
Map tab is on sale for 120 points? Gotta spend $20 for 200. :/

Map tab?
After the essence tab, that's the least necessary tab I can think of.
Especially in this league of "nerfed" map drops.

"
You shouldn't have to create multiple characters to mule away items. Is this Diablo 2?
I vaguely recall them saying at one point that they wanted PoE to feel like Diablo 2, or at least that they wanted the feel of older ARPGs.

"
Also, saying, "I did it for years" is a meaningless point. You're anecdotally trying to tell people it's not an issue. It's a terrible argument.
Isn't that what you're doing?
You've made claims about how the default tabs don't hold everything that's given to you but you haven't given us any pictures of your four, full-to-the-brim tabs.

Heck, even the results of a strawpoll would have more weight than what you've said.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
Artaniz wrote:
Man there is so much stupid from the OP in this thread where to begin.

First there are actual free to play games with shit models out there , that gate content , or give huge advantages to players who spend ( think 200-500 % xp increase items etc for purchase) This game only offers cosmetics and stash space neither of them do you NEED , their free to play model is probably the most user friendly in the gaming industry today .

Secondly again you dont need stash space to play the game . You can be far more choosy about what you pick up , or as many other posters have pointed out if you cant help but be a cheap crybaby you can always make mule accounts and they even give you tons of free character slots. Go create Items_char , maps_char , Currency_char , and on and on and use their inventory space. Mule to a completely free secondary account etc etc. You dont want to do that because you say it isnt fun and id agree it isnt but i also am an adult capable of spending 20 bucks for stash tabs so i dont have to bother pretend issues because im too lazy to work or have no job.

You have plenty of options yet here you are bitching about a company with perhaps the best free to play model in the industry. You sir are a shill and a worthless troll and i probably shouldn't have even bothered to respond but when ignorant , cheap , morons criticize a company with good policies toward their player base said base should probably come to their defense and point out where the OP has failed to use logic , or even simple market comparison to make a point.

*Nicely put. Now tell the fuckers to make maps drop past t9. :)

**Btw, have over 200 premium tabs......was worth it, not if you can't play.

***Just because you have room for maps.......they don't drop. Don't bother with the map tab. Worthless. Could put ALL my maps this and last league in 2 tabs probably. At clearing them under 5 mins.....do the math. One hour will kill ALL those maps.

Last edited by 99Pitbull99 on Mar 19, 2018, 6:18:59 PM
when you reach the point where your default stash cant hold all your loot any longer you have been playing this game for more than ~50 hours at least id say.
if you play one game for more than 50 hours you enjoy it.
at that point paying for extra-stash isnt too much asked.

note also how stash-tabs (regular ones) are one of the cheapest buyable feature in this game...compared to 20$ hats and pets. compared to actual p2-win-games where game-related stuff costs more than MTX.

you can even use crafting-benches and twink-chars as "mules" (something i did for a while, as i was also sceptical of spending money).

i actually had to google how many chars you can create on an account; its more than there are acendancy-classes (unless you want to play ALL the ascendants).

blizzard will ask you to pay money just to play a class in diablo2, and they have even gone there and are even selling MTX in WoW, a subscription-based, buy-to-play AND pay-to-play game, rofl.

this game has a very, very fair business-model and it should be recognized for it especially in times where 60$ buy-to-play single-player games come with "day one DLC" and lootboxes and all that.
"

Do it now.

Also, saying, "I did it for years" is a meaningless point. You're anecdotally trying to tell people it's not an issue. It's a terrible argument.

I play with only one extra basic tab (I got it free). 4 tabs isn't really a problem (and not at all if you play SSF):
- 1 tab for currencies
- 1 tab for maps
- 1 tab for recipes: can be used for maps later
- 1 tab for quality gems/card/essences: can be used for maps later
- 1-2 mules for items

Of course the game is much easier with currency/map/premium tabs but nothing that make the game unplayable or painfull whithout. Trading is boring but you cannot say that the game is "pay-to-play" or "pay-to-win" only for that.
"
ZuluPopeye wrote:
"

Do it now.

I play with only one extra basic tab (I got it free). 4 tabs isn't really a problem (and not at all if you play SSF):
- 1 tab for currencies
- 1 tab for maps
- 1-2 mules for items

Of course the game is much easier with currency/map/premium tabs but nothing that make the game unplayable or painfull whithout. Trading is boring but you cannot say that the game is "pay-to-play" or "pay-to-win" only for that.

I 100% believe you character (s) aren't doing well.
"
"
ZuluPopeye wrote:
"

Do it now.

- 1 tab for currencies
- 1 tab for maps
- 1-2 mules for items

I 100% believe you character (s) aren't doing well.

Think about what you want but I bring some facts: my last character in Abyss league was level 92 and go throught most of the content with only 5 tabs. Of course I didn't play the very late game like Shaper... but it's far from being "bad". You can enjoy POE content without spending anything, this is a reality and it's my case.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info