[3.15] Fivers Frost Blades Raider (Outdated)

"
dtx1212 wrote:
I suppose that this build without nearly perfect gear can not do end game content, I have good enough gear, but single target dps feels very bad. So keep this in mind if you want to try this build.

This build will do fine with good gear. You will not need "nearly perfect" gear to do endgame content.
Stuff is a lot tankier nowadays, but a few leagues back I could kill shaper pretty easy, with a white claw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IYgleaeTWg

The build hasn't gotten weaker since then, but things like awakener and uber elder takes a bit more practice now, since they quadrupled their life in metamorph. You obviously won't be able to do things like these with claws like bloodseeker/wasp nest/touch of anguish though.

When you have a 400+ dps claw, you are usually on a good level.

Curse on hit ring
Mark of the Elder
Enchant on your boots
Weapon
lethal pride

flasks

are usually the biggest boosts.

Don't panic.
Last edited by Fiver on Jun 25, 2020, 11:09:29 AM
I will be starting my stream in a few minutes. If you need help over the next 8+ hours, that's where you will find me. Feel free to stop by. :)

http://www.twitch.tv/holyfivr

Don't panic.
"
Fiver wrote:
"
dtx1212 wrote:
I suppose that this build without nearly perfect gear can not do end game content, I have good enough gear, but single target dps feels very bad. So keep this in mind if you want to try this build.

This build will do fine with good gear. You will not need "nearly perfect" gear to do endgame content.
Stuff is a lot tankier nowadays, but a few leagues back I could kill shaper pretty easy, with a white claw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IYgleaeTWg

The build hasn't gotten weaker since then, but things like awakener and uber elder takes a bit more practice now, since they quadrupled their life in metamorph. You obviously won't be able to do things like these with claws like bloodseeker/wasp nest/touch of anguish though.

When you have a 400+ dps claw, you are usually on a good level.

Curse on hit ring
Mark of the Elder
Enchant on your boots
Weapon
lethal pride

flasks

are usually the biggest boosts.

I don't know tbh, I had everything what you mentioned and bosses still were too much tanky. Last time I tried this build was before metamorph and it was great, now I feel like I'm playing on zdps character, despite having 400+ pdps claw and other gear which you mentioned. I only didn't have enchant on boots, but I think it's not that matter. Clear is still very good, but single target dps became much worse.
Last edited by dtx1212 on Jun 25, 2020, 11:20:49 AM
they did a x4 hp on big bosses on metamorpph so, anyways frost blades single target isn't great but with enough exalts its viable
"
Fiver wrote:
Ok, so right now, there's loads of ways to craft. We have all the old ways that still totally works, but the harvest system is really interesting.

My current strategy is to use the physical modifiers to try to get a good roll, or preferably two.

If you manage to get two good rolls, then you *could* remove the others in a controlled fashion, and just multimod, or be patient and try to slowly add new modifiers on it.

If you get the right mods, but bad rolls, then you can still keep them and use the "remove x modifier and add new x modifier".
For something like attack speed, there are no other modifiers this works really well since there are no other speed modifiers on claws.
For something like phys modifiers, it *can* work really cool, but I haven't been lucky myself yet. I have plenty of T1 phys rolls, but not anything that I can really make much of.

I'm not entirely sure what the best method is quite yet. Still experimenting on it.

The cool thing is though, that when you get a good base, you can control the outcome pretty heavily.

The issue is that some mods are pretty rare, and therefore this process can take a long time.

aight ill give it a shot, thanks man

i didnt realize how badly a claw with mostly adds lightning damage to attacks was nerfing my damage
"
dtx1212 wrote:

I don't know tbh, I had everything what you mentioned and bosses still were too much tanky. Last time I tried this build was before metamorph and it was great, now I feel like I'm playing on zdps character, despite having 400+ pdps claw and other gear which you mentioned. I only didn't have enchant on boots, but I think it's not that matter. Clear is still very good, but single target dps became much worse.

I mean, I don't agree with that it feels like you do less damage now.
The build hasn't been nerfed, but everything has gotten tankier.
In delirium, they gave all the bosses 4x their life pool.
Shaper used to have 20 million life, but he now has 80 million, etc.

The damage feels worse than in metamorph because of this. But I really had no issues at all with anything in Delirium, and nothing has changed since then, except the nerfs to crit multiplier nodes.

There's always things that can be done different though.

As for the enchant on boots, it's about a 7-9% dps boost in most cases. If you are at 10M dps, then that's almost 1 million DPS. From only that enchant.
At a certain point in the build, these seemingly small things can make a huge difference. Damage increases exponentially the more you get.
I often go through this in PoB together with people on the stream when they feel like they have issues with DPS or survival or whatever and there's usually loads of, often small, things that I find that can be improved.

Either way, no build is perfect, and everyone doesn't like every build, and that's fine.
But please don't say that it can't do end game content without nearly perfect gear, because that's just not true. :)

Don't panic.
Ok, starting up my stream now. You know the drill. Stop by if you need help or anything. ♥

http://www.twitch.tv/holyfivr

Don't panic.
Just want to give a little insight as someone who actually owns a 430 pdps claw in this league (right now I have more dps than the "Standard" option in the build's pob, but closer to "Standard" than "Expensive" option in terms of overall performance).

So this claw dropped like that, and I just had to craft the phys damage to make a 429 pdps claw. If I manage to up the quality with syndicate, it may go up to 440 pdps. I actually rage-exalted the cluster jewel for the jewel socket after getting the two mods with harvest seeds because it is so hard to roll them now. Rest of gear I did best I could with the currency I had and crafting choices I had with seeds. Minor upgrades easily feasible now such as better boot enchants and amulet annointment. The big upgrades though, such as +1 frenzy gloves, -enemy cold res helmet with life and res, Watcher's eye, better chest and mana reservation shield are costly and on hold for now.

As of now, can clear high tier maps pretty comfy -- except deaths every here and there due to evasion based character with small life pool (although doesn't happen too much during general mapping). Maps and map bosses I usually just go with ancestral call because that is a HUGE quality of life and safety-net by hitting and freezing everything at once. Anything that has a bigger life pool and can't be frozen well such as metamorph boss and upward (major bosses like conquerors and guardians) -- oh boy they are all tough fights with ~3.5 mil realistic dps with < 5k life. Trying to focus more on building the required dps to kill sirus comfy, so only got 4600 life + 200 energy shield, so I always have to stay on my toes and actually respect boss mechanics -- well I end up dying a few times most of the time.

I don't really feel Wind Dancer helps too much, sometimes I dream that it is bugged and gets fixed and this character becomes beefier than before. But it is probably my sub 5k life. In a sticky spot right now because I can't forego damage for more life cuz damage is the survivability here, leveling is a bit tough with deaths, and even if invested heavily into life for a sub 95 level char, it will have less than 5.5k and I feel it's still too little for end game.

If so, the best plan of action is to build another tanky or boss-killing char, use this for general mapping, get enough currency to level safely via breachstones and invest ~30 exalt to kill major bosses fast so I don't have to worry about dying.

Overall though, had a blast leveling and progressing to end game with this character!

Last edited by hyukin on Jun 26, 2020, 2:26:14 PM
I've played this build as a league starter now up to 4 watchstone and I have to say this build is probably not for the new player or anyone who wants to have a smooth ride.

The low range nature of the build requires that you interact with all of the bosse's mechanics and without the ability to facetank or out range. Worst yet you do not have good damage for a race situation compared to common close ranged builds. I find myself having to really mind map modifier more than just ele reflect because any added difficulty makes what's already a very hard job too challenging.

It's good and bad. For contents you cant freeze, it sometimes feels the difficulty is just right and rewarding. Other times it's frustrating and near impractical (think eradicator with any curse mod).

Overall expect to die, expect to lose currencies on mapbosses if they're rolled too hard. But if you're tired of playing metabuilds that faceroll all the content/ ignore most mechanics, this is possibly a build that is challenging and rewarding.
"
hyukin wrote:
Just want to give a little insight as someone who actually owns a 430 pdps claw in this league (right now I have more dps than the "Standard" option in the build's pob, but closer to "Standard" than "Expensive" option in terms of overall performance).

So this claw dropped like that, and I just had to craft the phys damage to make a 429 pdps claw. If I manage to up the quality with syndicate, it may go up to 440 pdps. I actually rage-exalted the cluster jewel for the jewel socket after getting the two mods with harvest seeds because it is so hard to roll them now. Rest of gear I did best I could with the currency I had and crafting choices I had with seeds. Minor upgrades easily feasible now such as better boot enchants and amulet annointment. The big upgrades though, such as +1 frenzy gloves, -enemy cold res helmet with life and res, Watcher's eye, better chest and mana reservation shield are costly and on hold for now.

As of now, can clear high tier maps pretty comfy -- except deaths every here and there due to evasion based character with small life pool (although doesn't happen too much during general mapping). Maps and map bosses I usually just go with ancestral call because that is a HUGE quality of life and safety-net by hitting and freezing everything at once. Anything that has a bigger life pool and can't be frozen well such as metamorph boss and upward (major bosses like conquerors and guardians) -- oh boy they are all tough fights with ~3.5 mil realistic dps with < 5k life. Trying to focus more on building the required dps to kill sirus comfy, so only got 4600 life + 200 energy shield, so I always have to stay on my toes and actually respect boss mechanics -- well I end up dying a few times most of the time.

I don't really feel Wind Dancer helps too much, sometimes I dream that it is bugged and gets fixed and this character becomes beefier than before. But it is probably my sub 5k life. In a sticky spot right now because I can't forego damage for more life cuz damage is the survivability here, leveling is a bit tough with deaths, and even if invested heavily into life for a sub 95 level char, it will have less than 5.5k and I feel it's still too little for end game.

If so, the best plan of action is to build another tanky or boss-killing char, use this for general mapping, get enough currency to level safely via breachstones and invest ~30 exalt to kill major bosses fast so I don't have to worry about dying.

Overall though, had a blast leveling and progressing to end game with this character!

Yeah, Sirus is a tough fight even when you have good gear on this one. It's mainly about getting comfortable with it. I personally don't find it that hard anymore, but it can still mess you up if you aren't on your toes.

I haven't been able to try Wind Dancer myself yet, because I felt that I needed to play another build of mine as a league starter this league.
Will create a Frost Blades Raider after I finish gearing that one though and confirm it's viability.

Unfortunately, like you say, a lot of the preferred items are expensive right now. Stuff like +1 frenzy gloves, Farruls Fur, etc, usually drop pretty fast, but right now they are still expensive.

I want to point out though, that you are still missing a lot of items that are easy to fix that would be a nice improvement.
Atziri's Promise, Taste of Hate, curse on hit ring, and crit armour could be nice upgrades.
Curse rings and crit armours are surprisingly easy to craft this league with the new harvest system.
Also, personally I prefer Starkonjas over Fractal Thoughts. FT is a good helmet, but the life you get from starkonja is pretty big.
Damage-wise, Fractal Thoughts is pretty sick though.

:)

Don't panic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info