What's with the bandwagon hate on shaped maps and sextants?

"
Gref wrote:
The last three leagues more or less narrowed the gap between the average player and the hyper efficient.

Breach: Breaches were everywhere as the name implies. Substantial increase in drops across the board. Lesser breach mobs could drop maps which was the case until a patch in Legacy League.

Legacy: League stones provided similar benefits that sextants did but could be used efficiently regardless of a maps location on the Atlas. Easy access to Breach/Beyond/Bloodline mods on all your maps simultaneously.

Harbinger: Harbinger Orbs, which allowed you to all but ignore the restrictions of the Atlas, warped the end game and set a bad precedent. It's constantly a point of reference in the greater Atlas discussion when it shouldn't be. Seeing as how Annulment Orbs are the only remnants of Harbinger, GGG seems to think the same. Why bother with sextants when you're chaining Beachheads and blowing up Guardians and Shaper ad nauseam?

It's only now that the current league mechanic doesn't act as a sort of counter balance to the negatives of an unshaped Atlas that we're seeing a larger discussion on the impact of sextants.

What restrictions? Shitty map drop rates for linked maps? Not having to trade for maps? What bad precedent did it set? That a casual player could actually enjoy completing most or all of the Atlas for once without having to constantly trade for maps? The precedent of the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots was narrowed a tiny bit? For shame! It's not like you just played for a couple hours and whallah! your Atlas was fully unlocked - you still had to play A LOT even with the orbs, to get all the regular maps completed.

This whole desire to keep (or widen for that matter) the divide between "classes" (the marathon player/casual player) is really starting to wear thin. It is not just a real world free market (corrupt) economy that is modeled in small scale in PoE, it is also class division and the grasping attempts of the elite to maintain their status.

I am not for the pure casualization of the game, don't conflate what I said to that. I like to think of myself as about elitist-casual level - thousands of hours, but over 5 years, and I don't obsess on the min/max in the game. Read below what I would suggest:

It has been said here already - if you brought back the orb that would reroll on the same Tier (leave out the +1 Tier orb) and make it, say Blessed Orb rarity, I think that would be a happy medium.
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Jan 11, 2018, 10:42:23 AM
Shaper's orb and sextantas gives you a choice. Choices are good.

BUT, when one, two or even three solutions are clearly SO MUCH better and more efficient than others, it becomes more of problem than a healthy choice.

Players who actually like the variety of playing different maps, exploring the whole Atlas falls behind. Do they have to sacrifice their fun for efficiency? Or "fall behind" when it comes to rewards? You can't sextant lock if you're not ready to spam the same map over and over and over and over again. Yes, ok, you CAN, but there's no point.

Freedom/a choice isn't really "true" when one way is much better than the other.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I have an idea GGG can implement. For every map tier (1,2,3 etc), give the map an innate (or shown value) of 3% IIR and 0.5% IIQ. So at T1 it would be 3% IIR and 0.5% IIQ in addition to whatever other mods are on there included in the total and for a T15 it would be an increase of 45% IIR and 7.5% IIQ. They may not be perfect values but something similar would create a rewarding system for players that don't want to deal with the sextant bullshit and people who wanted to keep doing it just wouldn't get as much IIR/IIQ. Maybe for each additional tier you get 1% IIR and 0.3% IIQ on top of the aforementioned to make it even more rewarding for progressing through the Atlas. Could even go as far as adding in %pack size to the tiers as well. Just a thought...
Last edited by xstryderx17 on Jan 11, 2018, 11:22:11 AM
Shaping a map you really like is one of the best new options ggg has introduced. More choice is good. I love it.

On the other hand, sextants are just pure shit. Yeah, the result of using them properly is great but maintaining/buying them is tedious and annoying, not to mention a massive noob trap. I hope, in the future, ggg changes them to have more unique and interesting interactions with the atlas.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/988f3369-4b68-4eb9-bc0e-edfce4c3c950
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:
What restrictions? Shitty map drop rates for linked maps? Not having to trade for maps? What bad precedent did it set? That a casual player could actually enjoy completing most or all of the Atlas for once without having to constantly trade for maps? The precedent of the gap between the Haves and the Have Nots was narrowed a tiny bit? For shame! It's not like you just played for a couple hours and whallah! your Atlas was fully unlocked - you still had to play A LOT even with the orbs, to get all the regular maps completed.

This whole desire to keep (or widen for that matter) the divide between "classes" (the marathon player/casual player) is really starting to wear thin. It is not just a real world free market (corrupt) economy that is modeled in small scale in PoE, it is also class division and the grasping attempts of the elite to maintain their status.

I am not for the pure casualization of the game, don't conflate what I said to that. I like to think of myself as about elitist-casual level - thousands of hours, but over 5 years, and I don't obsess on the min/max in the game. Read below what I would suggest:

It has been said here already - if you brought back the orb that would reroll on the same Tier (leave out the +1 Tier orb) and make it, say Blessed Orb rarity, I think that would be a happy medium.

Just as you don't want your post conflated with casualization of the game; I don't want to come off as opposed to any adjustments. Just stating why I think each of the last three leagues quelled the discussion regarding changes to the Atlas and Sextants.

Harbinger set a bad precedent because it coincided with Fall of Oriath and the large influx of new players that came with it.

Their baseline POE experience would be considered an outlier for everyone else. They have no frame of reference for how the game works because Horizon and Harbinger orbs made it unnecessary to learn.

Now all these players who started in Harbinger have a bad taste in their mouth because they perceive the game to have taken a massive dive in quality. For older players things are going back to "normal" and I'm using that loosely.
"
Slaanesh69 wrote:

I never really minded the horizon orb. It wouldn't be such a horrible thing to bring it back. I do think though that mapping has been adressed over the years very well already and it's pushing towards easier sustain and more maps all the time. The 3 outliers leaguewise are only a small part of PoE's history.

I think with this league/expansion they also tried to make maps more meaningful again. They succeeded in that, but forgot 1 thing. If you want maps to be a mass trade item like it is currently we need better options how to deal with buying/selling maps. Not just for the buyers but it's a damn pain to sell them aswell. I think that would take alot of sore away already.

"
Phrazz wrote:
Shaper's orb and sextantas gives you a choice. Choices are good.

BUT, when one, two or even three solutions are clearly SO MUCH better and more efficient than others, it becomes more of problem than a healthy choice.

Players who actually like the variety of playing different maps, exploring the whole Atlas falls behind. Do they have to sacrifice their fun for efficiency? Or "fall behind" when it comes to rewards? You can't sextant lock if you're not ready to spam the same map over and over and over and over again. Yes, ok, you CAN, but there's no point.

Freedom/a choice isn't really "true" when one way is much better than the other.

I agree with that. But we had strand for a while. Shore was always a popular option. Even t12 Vault was very popular. It's not very likely they will leave things as is. And if they touch Vault a new king will rise and take it's spot. This cycle will just continue over and over.

Imo there are just to many weak layouts/maps in the game. Maps that most people wouldn't even run if they got payed for it. With the current complains we are going backwards and not forward. Strand got demolished, hell most good layouts got destroyed. This is part of the point I have. Why do we focus on destroying what IS fun. Rather then trying to fix what isn't.
Last edited by Miská on Jan 11, 2018, 12:34:31 PM
"
Miská wrote:

I agree with that. But we had strand for a while. Shore was always a popular option. Even t12 Vault was very popular. It's not very likely they will leave things as is. And if they touch Vault a new king will rise and take it's spot. This cycle will just continue over and over.

Imo there are just to many weak layouts/maps in the game. Maps that most people wouldn't even run if they got payed for it. With the current complains we are going backwards and not forward. Strand got demolished, hell most good layouts got destroyed. This is part of the point I have. Why do we focus on destroying what IS fun. Rather then trying to fix what isn't.

While I'm not a fan of sextants, I know that this is a far more complicated problem then "sextants is bad" or "shaped atlas is bad". It's a combination of the questionable design of sextants, shaped maps, far too good drops in Vault (or bad in other maps) and a VERY questionable placement of an already "OP" map. All these factors result in a VERY rewarding way of shaping/sextanting your Atlas, that is far superior to "all" other solutions.

But we find these sort of problems in all corners of the game. When push comes to shove, we have a couple of superior ascendancies, superior builds, superior base items and so on. But I really can't PHANTOM the new placement of Vault. How can anyone skip focusing on that map when it has that kind of drops - and is placed in that way?
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
my 2c is that sextants should NOT give more maps and XP, just loot.
d:-D*
"
Phrazz wrote:
While I'm not a fan of sextants, I know that this is a far more complicated problem then "sextants is bad" or "shaped atlas is bad". It's a combination of the questionable design of sextants, shaped maps, far too good drops in Vault (or bad in other maps) and a VERY questionable placement of an already "OP" map. All these factors result in a VERY rewarding way of shaping/sextanting your Atlas, that is far superior to "all" other solutions.

Initially, I thought the placement of Vault on the current Atlas was a massive oversight. I'm starting to think it was intentional.
My personal dilemma looks like this:

On the one hand i like to be efficient and to "do the right thing", when i play a game. On the other hand i don't like to run the exact same map 200 times in a row. If i went for maximum efficiency, that would mean i'd have to properly shape my atlas and focus on two or three nicely sextanted and blocked maps. Wich would feel like eating the exact same meal for the next 3 month. A wonderful meal, for sure, but 3 month in a row...? If i went for maximum variety, that would mean i unlocked the full atlas and ran whatever map i felt like running. (This is, what i choose for myself, knowing full well, that it's not the "efficient" thing to do.) That i have to "make a mistake" (not sextantblocking my atlas) in order to have fun, leaves a bitter taste in my mouth though.
dedadadadedoodoodoo is all i want to say to you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info