What's with the bandwagon hate on shaped maps and sextants?

"
People hate on sextants for the same reason they hate on speed builds, trading, Vaal Pact, CI, Biscos etc. It's something available in game for everyone to use to their advantage but they choose not to and think everyone using them has a massive unfair advantage over them and it's ruining the game.

They just want to farm 3 yellow maps per hour with their trash tier hipster build and no one should be allowed to play the game differently and get more xp, currency or loot than them.

I think you are assuming that only casuals are complaining.

1) VP/CI - People complaining that you could simply ignore all mechanics of every single boss fight by taking VP. If you don't see that as a valid complaint, sorry, can't help you. You'll actually find most people will probably agree CI was way over-nerfed and very few would complain if CI received a buff right now. The problem was CI + VP + ability to get insane ES pool.
2) Bisco's - GGG made a decision a long time ago that quantity was going to be far, far less accessible by removing it from all rare items as a possible affix. To follow that up with this amulet is just counter to their own philosophy. Admittedly, I do think Bisco's is a little exaggerated in terms of benefit but the benefit is absolutely there and its huge. Huge enough that (in the previous league) not using Bisco's was absolutely gimping your build. While their fix of simply making it bloody rare isn't fantastic, bisco's is now far from BiS for a lot of players. If you are going to drop 18EX on bisco's, you better be playing atleast 500-1k maps after that otherwise it's just not worth the cash (imo).
3) Trading - horse has been beaten to death. No point rehashing.

Then we come to sextants. It is currently WORSE to play the content as designed than it is to play an obscure, nonintuitive version of the content. There is just no way a game developer is happy that players are better off ignoring his content than doing it. Its just nonsensical.

I chose not to shape atlas and went for full completion (yes, I understood how much better shaped/sextant approach is for currency) but I wanted to focus on the elder/shaper mechanic without constantly unlearning maps. Sextant blocking certainly has not ruined my personal game. I made plenty of currency, geared multiple chars up and am at 93 with my build farming red elders. Does that mean sextant blocking isn't a shit mechanic from my pov? hell no. It is stupid and needs to go. I don't want a choice of 'Do content and lose stuff or Don't do content and gain stuff'. I want a choice of 'Do all content exhaustively and gain stuff or Do some content and don't gain as much stuff'

~Myth
I like shaped maps. If not for them,I wouldn't run my favourite maps all league. If I like a map thats below T10 I can shape it and run it for an entire league instead of only 1 time while levelling my first char. The problem I see is the placement of maps on the atlas. Why can you put 6-7 sextants on 1 map but only 1-2 on the other. That's what makes running the same map so much better imo. Also, maps without sextants feel mostly bad at the moment if they are not vaaled to 40+% packsize + edler/shaper.
Last edited by DiscoveryChannel on Jan 11, 2018, 5:36:51 AM
I'm here sitting like

I personally love sextants in current state...because I don't use them.

I don't have time nor PC to handle Sextanted maps and Sextant blocking, so the more people use them, the more I can make by selling them.

What would you choose? Promises of more wealth in the future by raising your chance of obtaining money, or simply selling the thing promising wealth for money right now?
"
Miská wrote:
[Removed by Support]

LOL You can't fucking accept the truth that's fucking funny and there not even friends there just forum people dude not a single of my friends posted in this thread.

Nor are they my fan club at all. just because they disagree with you with rightful points more than myself doesn't make them part of a ''fanclub'' in fact most of them just don't like me.

[Removed by Support]
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Blank_GGG on Jan 11, 2018, 7:39:55 AM
"
LOL You can't fucking accept the truth that's fucking funny and there not even friends there just forum people dude not a single of friends posted in this thread.

Nor are they fan club at all.

[Removed by Support]

Checkmate boys we got him.

[Removed by Support] I'll give you some advice. Try some of the stuff you have been spouting in this topic and not just repeat it from some random streamer. Literally everything you say is, streamer this, streamer that. Do you even have experience of your own?

I do, and it's not half as bad as you make it out to be.

But fine. Next league there will be something else a streamer complains about. And then you can just follow whatever that person says like a sheep.
Last edited by Blank_GGG on Jan 11, 2018, 7:40:59 AM
"
Miská wrote:
"
LOL You can't fucking accept the truth that's fucking funny and there not even friends there just forum people dude not a single of friends posted in this thread.

Nor are they fan club at all.

[Removed by Support]

[Removed by Support] I'll give you some advice. Try some of the stuff you have been spouting in this topic and not just repeat it from some random streamer. Literally everything you say is, streamer this, streamer that. Do you even have experience of your own?

I do, and it's not half as bad as you make it out to be.

But fine. Next league there will be something else a streamer complains about. And then you can just follow whatever that person says like a sheep.

Your ignorance and disregard for how other players feel about sextants is the only astonishing fact here.

You think you are right when almost all the replies inn the thread are against your view on the matter.

People gave you super solid reasons why sextants are bad BUT YOU REFUSE to address even one in your replies. Instead you attack I_NO. [Removed by Support]

So here is the reasons sextants need to go so you can ignore it again:

"Sextants make completing your atlas and playing map variety maps a punishment. You literally lose drops and income IF YOU DO NOT USE THEM."

"Sextants make people want to avoid completing a big part of the game content"

My personal one:

"Sextants make you happy so I want you to be sad because you are being an insensitive and ignorant bastard who care only about himself and not what is good for the game."
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
Last edited by Blank_GGG on Jan 11, 2018, 7:53:35 AM
"
Miská wrote:
[Removed by Support]

Dang got them good, people know little else about the "actual" game outside of the most effective tactic available across multiple leagues and the years.

People dislike sextants because they are extremely cancerous to apply every 3 maps and lock you into one place for the rest of the league because literally nothing else comes close to it.

Unlimited shaped strand had other less viable but still good options, while shaped vaults is like 3-5x better than any other alternative. It got to the point where people are wearing full MF gear speed running through t14 shaped vaults/fully sextants earning +30c a run.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jan 11, 2018, 6:07:04 AM
Fundamental problem with sextants is that, because they exist, we have to assume GGG balances drops around the assumption that you are using them. And they are tedious as hell to use well and just generally not a fun mechanic at all. So, if you find them annoying like most people and decide you don't want to use them you are essentially playing POE-lite. What GGG needs to do is put a maximum number of sextants you can have on the map at once to like 3, thus removing the tedium of sextant blocking and making sextants just fire and forget on your favorite maps, making the upkeep of them very small and trivial so everyone can use them without feeling like they are being wasted.
"
Bone2flesh wrote:
[

"Sextants make completing your atlas and playing map variety maps a punishment. You literally lose drops and income IF YOU DO NOT USE THEM."

My personal one:

"Sextants make you happy so I want you to be sad because you are being an insensitive and ignorant bastard who care only about himself and not what is good for the game."

I already responded to exactly this. But for you I'll do it again.

Sextants aren't limited to sextant blocking only. It gives you a small advantage at most. You get map diversity and you can chase elder when you don't pick 1 specific map. Completing the whole atlas isn't only punishing. And the more drops/income is more of a Vault specific problem. I saw no massive difference in income between running other shaped map vs running alot of different ones.

Oh and please stop calling people elitists for having a different opinion. It's getting abit repetitive. I have no ran with sextants or a shaped atlas for the first 2 weeks this league, because I play whatever I feel like playing. And actually try stuff myself unlike some other people that copy whatever their favorite streamer claims.
"
Miská wrote:
"
Bone2flesh wrote:
[

My personal one:

I already responded to exactly this. But for you I'll do it again.

Sextants aren't limited to sextant blocking only. It gives you a small advantage at most. You get map diversity and you can chase elder when you don't pick 1 specific map. Completing the whole atlas isn't only punishing. And the more drops/income is more of a Vault specific problem. I saw no massive difference in income between running other shaped map vs running alot of different ones.

Oh and please stop calling people elitists for having a different opinion. It's getting abit repetitive. I have no ran with sextants or a shaped atlas for the first 2 weeks this league, because I play whatever I feel like playing. And actually try stuff myself unlike some other people that copy whatever their favorite streamer claims.

Idunno your claims to how sextants work is drastically different from data across multiple thousands of maps and thousands of other people playing PoE reporting in.

People aren't complaining about sextants if you just randomly throw it on a map :V
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jan 11, 2018, 6:10:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info