Looting Issues

I'm going to preempt this post by saying that tradition does not mean it's good.

I played D2 for a good number of years, and something that always got me was the fact that the difference between getting a good item for free and having to barter away my wares was the tenth of a second after a boss battle.

Oh no, instead of clicking on the SoJ that dropped, I picked up a chipped skull. Also, if I was killing a boss with a party, I could die right before the end and receive no loot.

I'll be the first one to tell you that D3 is looking terrible, but that does not mean it doesn't have a few good ideas. One of those ideas, which I would like to see in PoE, is their new loot system.

In the new D3 loot system, items that drop are only viewable by yourself. That means you will never have to worry about whether or not you'll be faster than the 15 year old you're playing with that just downed a red bull. It's actually a nice system.

I've already brought this up in-game, and I've been met with an extreme amount of hostility over this. "FUQEN CASUAL" was the term used. D2 was no more competitive because of that looting system, only more frustrating.

If you don't like the idea, that's fine too. This system is a make-or-break option for me personally, and I don't want to stop playing because the game is really fun.

Again, I'll preempt any responses saying that I should get a group of friends to go loot hunting if I'm so scared of this "competition." That's a huge pain in the ass to gather a group of friends everytime I want to down a boss with the possibility of not having my loot stolen.
While I cant agree with you that D3 looks terrible (personally I like the art style and how the bosses/environments need more physical interaction than normal) but the loot system is a good idea. Especially looking at just how much stuff drops after a one room battle in Exile.
Maybe not terrible, since it -is- a triple-A game, but after WoW became such a trainwreck, I'm doubting blizzard.

I would just like to see whether or not this is even considered.
Honestly I almost never grouped in Diablo 2 because I didn't want to deal with seeing a zod rune drop and somebody snatching it.

I actually agree with the op because it is a smart idea because you can group with anyone and still have the feeling of solo loot. Win win in my opinion.

I agree with the op too. I know much people from d2 which only waited for baal to drop an item and didn't fight him, because then they would be slower picking up the item. That was the main reason why I nearly always played alone and not in a group.
D3 is actually lookin great and so does Grim Dawn, haters are gonna hate but I'll be enjoyin all 3.

Yeah I suggested the see only your own item drops thing but the PoE guys rejected it cause they thought that having a short timer on the items before they became free for all would make the game more "exciting".

I grouped back in D2,cause I had the fastest fingers in the west, I'll probably be doing it again in POE except the stealing will be a little harder.

EDIT: You guys better be on your toes roo cause I'll be runnin my auto item pickup bot (/sarcasm)
Last edited by Awesomeasusual on Aug 12, 2011, 2:34:44 PM
Well, they added a slight timer so that you have a chance to grab nicer loot, but it still seems aggressively short. Do you want your party mates focusing on killing the mobs around you, or running around picking up loot, cleaning up their inventory mid battle, etc., while monsters eat your face off?

It's a case of playing the interface instead of playing the game.

Now, some people might say it's more realistic, because if it was real, anyone could grab an artifact or whatever first. But if you did that in real life, you'd likely end up with a knife in your back while you sleep, or someone would just steal it from your bags.

Now, I can understand the issues with "you only see your loot" type of games. You could get an awesome bow when you're a marauder, and the ranger in the group might have gotten a really nice sword, and they might never even consider telling the other person, when a simple trade might be feasible.

What I would like to see is extending the timer so that you have a reasonable amount of time to finish off killing all the monsters around you and sort out your inventory (so maybe 15-20 seconds of exclusive loot rights).

Another option is to just extend the loot timer only if you meet the requirements to actually use the item, so people aren't hoarding equipment that they can't use.
"
In the new D3 loot system, items that drop are only viewable by yourself. That means you will never have to worry about whether or not you'll be faster than the 15 year old you're playing with that just downed a red bull. It's actually a nice system.

I agree, that is a good system for online play. Looting wars do not enhance the game.
No wayy bro, removing that aggressive item timer will shutdown that rush I get from stealin someone elses $l/l/33T l00T cause PoE is hardcore, not for ****ing casuals rofl. Don't make the game more like Diablo 3 lololol.

Btw I'm being sarcastic of course, but this is really one of the arguments behind the item timer.
A loot system that forces you to fight with your own party over loot, while trying to clear an area or kill a boss, will not enhance this game whatsoever and will be extremely frustrating overall. If they think this element of the game will make it "gritty" I think they are mistaken. I just hope they listen to community feedback and react accordingly(even if overall sentiment is different then my own)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info