ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

Well, the point of my original post, which got this started, was that immigrants South of the USA border are mostly Christian, and don't require assimilation.

I didn't separate protestants & Catholics, someone else did.
"
Kamchatka wrote:
That would be me. And it is an important distinction. The Protestant Reformation, brought about by the invention of the printing press and the subsequent unprecedented availability of Bibles, was a conflict between the collectivist epistemology of an annointed Priesthood of Truth and the individualist epistemology of independent verification of claims. To say that Catholicism is in full accordance with American Christian values is essentially saying that placing our unwavering faith in media personalities like Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather, Anderson Cooper and Bill O'Reilly is just as American as doubting talking heads and referencing the source material directly. While I might concede such intellectual habits are increasingly American, I don't consider that to be a good thing.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Kamchatka wrote:

I don't think protestants like being lumped together, otherwise they would have all stayed Lutheran.

Pretty sure Catholic is 1, Southern Baptist 2, when you break down Christian faith groups properly, in the USA.
There are formal ways to arrange religions and most folks who insist that one grouping or another is best usually have a agenda for doing do.

Abrahamic:
Islam:
...Sunni
...Shia
...Ahmadiyya
...Sufism
...plus more

Judaism:
...Orthodox
...Reform
...Conservative

Christian: the three oldest and all have a claim of being the authentic version
...Greek Orthodox
...Roman Catholic
...Coptic Christian

From Catholicism sprouted Protestantism and the Church of England

From Protestantism came: Lutherans, Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Calvinists, Episcopalians, Southern Baptists, Mormons, Pentecostals, non denominationals, Unitarians, etc.

Protestants often do not like being grouped with Catholics or Mormons. To a Buddhist they might be all the same. For many Catholics, Protestants are just heretics. To the Greek Orthos, they are all wrong. Because lumping Christians into one group diminishes individual sect belief that it is the one true version of Christianity, it tends to irritate folks. None-the-less, Christian is a very big and complicated family of very different beliefs. The same actually goes for Islam and Judaism too.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Kamchatka wrote:
That would be me. And it is an important distinction. The Protestant Reformation, brought about by the invention of the printing press and the subsequent unprecedented availability of Bibles, was a conflict between the collectivist epistemology of an annointed Priesthood of Truth and the individualist epistemology of independent verification of claims. To say that Catholicism is in full accordance with American Christian values is essentially saying that placing our unwavering faith in media personalities like Walter Cronkite, Dan Rather, Anderson Cooper and Bill O'Reilly is just as American as doubting talking heads and referencing the source material directly. While I might concede such intellectual habits are increasingly American, I don't consider that to be a good thing.

The source material in question is Sacred Tradition & Sacred Scripture. Catholics are not called to blindly follow the Pope. This is actually on display right now with certain specific issues about marriage.
It is important to separate protestant and catholics in the US because of it s history. Do not forget that having a catholic president in the us was a big problem. I think only JFK was a catholic elected president.

The US is a protestant country with a protestant culture and history.
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
"
Head_Less wrote:
It is important to separate protestant and catholics in the US because of it s history. Do not forget that having a catholic president in the us was a big problem. I think only JFK was a catholic elected president.

The US is a protestant country with a protestant culture and history.

I agree it is important to separate Protestants and Catholics sometimes, but in some discussions it is better suited to group all Christians, Catholic, Orthodox & Protestants, together.
This long without a Trump post...guess the haters really are out of ammo huh? Too much winning? Tired yet?

98% of ISIS territory lost in a year. Economic boom. Tax legislation passed (infrastructure bill on the way).

But two scoops of ice cream though :(
"
innervation wrote:
This long without a Trump post...guess the haters really are out of ammo huh? Too much winning? Tired yet?

98% of ISIS territory lost in a year. Economic boom. Tax legislation passed (infrastructure bill on the way).

But two scoops of ice cream though :(
I think infrastructure is Trump's olive branch issue, something he's been offering to the Dems since inauguration as a way for them to come to him. It's not like Bernie was against infrastructure.

So, no, I don't think the infrastructure bill isn't on the way. The Dems are going to stay in #Resist mode, and instead of doing it without them Trump is going to find some way to use the spurned olive branch as a cudgel to beat his 2020 Challenger with. Although maybe I'm too pessimistic about bipartisan cooperation.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Dec 27, 2017, 4:19:15 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I think infrastructure is Trump's olive branch issue, something he's been offering to the Dems since inauguration as a way for them to come to him. It's not like Bernie was against infrastructure.

So, no, I don't think the infrastructure bill isn't on the way. The Dems are going to stay in #Resist mode, and instead of doing it without them Trump is going to find some way to use the spurned olive branch as a cudgel to beat his 2020 Challenger with. Although maybe I'm too pessimistic about bipartisan cooperation.

Nah you're right to be pessimistic.

In two weeks they flip flopped from '#taxscam' to... 'well ok its good, but they're evil b/c the cuts aren't permanent!'

Even though they would have been permanent with just 8 democratic votes. But why let facts get in the way of a good #resistance, eh?

I also agree with you that he is setting himself up for a win-win (again). An infrastructure bill would be very popular with most people. Either the dems back it and give him another legislative win, or they oppose it and have to explain to 2018 voters why they hated something the people wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info