ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

In short, forced labor to DIRECTLY keep the costs of imprisonment down is valid from my perspective, but there is an undeniable link between the outsourcing of prison labor and the unethical war on drugs perpetrated against the black communities of the US.

I agreed with most of what you were saying up until this point. It might be unethical exploitation of labor, but the war on drugs is not perpetrated against any racial group, and people claiming "disproportionate" are like statistical arsonists.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

I wouldn't go full Ye on this one, but we can at least demand that the benefits of said labor remain in-house, to the benefit of the prisoners themselves, rather than feeding the prison-industrial complex.

If the labor is paying the cost or a portion of the cost of housing the prisoner, then it makes sense. If there is any substantial profit, than I would agree it is morally reprehensible.

If one of the goals of prison is rehabilitation, to me it would make sense to have prisoners earn some kind of wage and have those wages "banked" into a trust fund of sorts that paid out what they earned month by month so long as they stayed out of trouble. It can't be easy trying to get a job a reintegrate into society, and those banked wages could provide a cushion for a transition period.

If the public really knew what many (not all) of these "recreational" drugs did to their bodies, most would never go near them. 20 years old going on 80 years old is a good brief summary.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Grab them by the....

"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
In short, forced labor to DIRECTLY keep the costs of imprisonment down is valid from my perspective, but there is an undeniable link between the outsourcing of prison labor and the unethical war on drugs perpetrated against the black communities of the US.
I agreed with most of what you were saying up until this point. It might be unethical exploitation of labor, but the war on drugs is not perpetrated against any racial group, and people claiming "disproportionate" are like statistical arsonists.
Really? The war on drugs is not perpetrated against any racial group? I would have at least expected you to say all racial groups. And of course it would be silly to pretend the war on drugs isn't perpetrated against whites, Asians and (nonwhite) Hispanics as well, because it is.

These different groups simply will not have equal levels of recreational drug consumption and distribution. Although the Huffington Post famously reported that drug usage rates are close between white and black Americans, the fact that black Americans are jailed for drug crime at a rate about 13 times higher seems to imply the black Americans are much more likely to try to make a business of it (and that's even if one assumes a moderate degree of institutional racism). It's no secret that drug dealers are pursued much more aggressively by US law enforcement at both state and federal levels than simple drug possession. Laws against drug dealing might not be prejudiced against black Americans in their enforcement but do seem to disproportionately impact black Americans, and thus could potentially constitute racism on the legislative level, or not.

Disproportionate impact doesn't imply institutional racism; it implies a potential vector to give institutional the cover of legitimacy. Ultimately, the question is whether the disproportionate-effect policy is justifiable or not; if not, there's only bad reasons to support it. In the case of the Drug War, I don't believe all its supporters are racist, but I do believe they all cling to ideologies that are flawed in a manner similar to racism. Essentially, they're bigoted; how exactly they are is splitting hairs.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Really? The war on drugs is not perpetrated against any racial group?

not targeted towards any specific racial group is what I meant.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
These different groups simply will not have equal levels of recreational drug consumption and distribution.

From what I have seen, by and large, the biggest factors on whether someone ends up going through the legal wringer for drug usage (non MJ cases)are how the person affects others in obtaining/using the drugs and how they affect themselves.

Poverty plays a large part in this. Someone who hasn't destroyed their life completely yet is more likely to be able to buy and use illegal substances with some privacy. Someone who has burned all their bridges, couch surfing and living off a meager or no-income is much more likely to resort to crime to obtain their drugs.

In either case, some people behave badly while on drugs, or behave even more badly while on drugs. They too are likely to get processed heavily for their drug usage.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Although the Huffington Post famously reported that drug usage rates are close between white and black Americans, the fact that black Americans are jailed for drug crime at a rate about 13 times higher seems to imply the black Americans are much more likely to try to make a business of it (and that's even if one assumes a moderate degree of institutional racism).

I haven't seen (or looked for) any studies showing population breakdowns of who is selling. From long term (decades) of news stories and crime reports, I would tend to think those associated in gangs, no matter their ethnicity, would be more likely to make a business of it than loners. I would suspect loners would get a "Join us, or end up in the morgue" proposition if any gangs were already operating in their area. Gang pressure and death threats may have more to do with this than race.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Disproportionate impact doesn't imply institutional racism; it implies a potential vector to give institutional the cover of legitimacy.

A vector would imply a direction determined by a consistent force. Disproportionate impact is in no way a measure of any such causative forces. It is a correlation of statistics (like increased ice cream sales and increased drownings) that may or may not have a causative relationship.

Profiling could be a cause for instance. More violent crime and a higher police presence in certain neighborhoods could be an indirect cause. Lack of good parenting, schools with slack discipline, the broken window effect - there are lots of potential forces and some or all of them may be driving a downward spiral of certain locations in our cities in towns.

What is happening in many cities and towns is tragic, and doubly so because everyone wants to point fingers at the legal system, instead of saying "We don't really know what the hell is going on, but these are our fellow Americans and we need to figure it out so they can live in safe neighborhoods and look forward to the American Dream like everyone else.

I don't expect our leaders to have the solutions, but I damn well expect them to at least honestly try to figure out the problems. I can't legally tell you what I have seen, but it is heart wrenching. Just because most of the victims are poor doesn't mean their plight should be ignored.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Oct 15, 2018, 12:38:35 AM
"
DalaiLama wrote:
Censorship Good! Google declares.

85-page briefing, internal Google document titled “The Good Censor"

full document published here

https://www.scribd.com/document/390521673/The-Good-Censor-GOOGLE-LEAK#from_embed
A few of the things in the briefing:
Page 2 – The briefing states that “users are asking if the openness of the internet should be celebrated after all” and that “free speech has become a social, economic, and political weapon.”

Page 14 – The briefing admits that Google, along with Twitter and Facebook, now “control the majority of online conversations.”

Page 54 – After warning about “harassment” earlier in the document, the briefing approvingly describes a 27,000-strong left-wing social media campaign as a “digital flash mob” engaged in “friendly counter-commenting.”

Pages 66-68 – The briefing argues that Google, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter are caught between two incompatible positions, the “unmediated marketplace of ideas” vs. “well-ordered spaces for safety and civility.” The first is described as a product of the “American tradition” which “prioritizes free speech for democracy, not civility.” The second is described as a product of the “European tradition,” which “favors dignity over liberty and civility over freedom.” The briefing claims that all tech platforms are now moving toward the European tradition.

Page 70 – The briefing sums up the reasons for big tech’s “shift towards censorship,” including the need to respond to regulatory demands and “expand globally,” to “monetize content through its organization,” and to “protect advertisers from controversial content, [and] increase revenues.”

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/10/09/the-good-censor-leaked-google-briefing-admits-abandonment-of-free-speech-for-safety-and-civility/
I really should have read the document before believing Breitbart. Here's a decent rundown of why.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
So I've been thinking about what Kanye West has said about the 13th Amendment (and not the strawman version that interprets "abolish" disingenuously). And while I see the problems he's pointing to, I don't fully agree with his solution.

I don't think imprisonment for a crime should mean a complete lack of responsibility to work towards the maintenance of one's own lifestyle. I have no qualms with forcing prisoners to cook their own meals, clean their own dishes or bathrooms, or clean themselves; furthermore, I usually (but not always) have no qualms with specialization of labor as far as such tasks go, e.g. some prisoners are compelled to cook for other prisoners, some prisoners are compelled to clean up other prisoners' bathroom messes, etc (but not forcing prisoners to bathe other prisoners). As such, I'm not strictly against involuntary servitude for prisoners.

That said, what Ye is pointing to is outside entities, such as for-profit corporations, winning the right to exploit forced prison labor to make their products. This situation is unconscionable and West is right to oppose it. I don't think we need to change the language of the 13th amendment, but I do think we need to clarify, by amendment if necessary, that the product of the forced labor of convicts, whether good or service, shall be exclusively for the consumption of convicts within the same detention system (whose borders are probably best left to law rather than Constitution). This would mean correction officers would NOT be allowed to eat involuntarily prepared food and law-abiding citizens would NOT be allowed to receive prisoner-manufactured license plates.

In short, forced labor to DIRECTLY keep the costs of imprisonment down is valid from my perspective, but there is an undeniable link between the outsourcing of prison labor and the unethical war on drugs perpetrated against the black communities of the US. I wouldn't go full Ye on this one, but we can at least demand that the benefits of said labor remain in-house, to the benefit of the prisoners themselves, rather than feeding the prison-industrial complex.

Chris Hedges, the only liberal I like... A man with a soul albeit misguided talks about this extensively. We have modern day slavery and undercut domestic labor for what we cant outsource. They make body armor for military, mc donalds paddies and bacically everything for a reduced term at like $1 a day.

This is what happens when you give gov too much power. I always go back to that. Like a million crimes "on the books" which can land anyone in the system then u have powers that corrupt.

Limited gov is only solution. Vote Republican - preferably tea partyish.

The soviets put like half their population in prison at one time or another trying to achieve perfect societies. Democrats are same way.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Oct 17, 2018, 11:52:02 PM
I hate this guy's username, but he's right and Howe isn't.

The delicious irony of the NPC meme is that it's basically Kekistanis making fun of people who do a bad job fitting into an increasingly hysterical culture of political correctness — in other words, it's safe-space Kekistanis making fun of what are likely closeted Kekistanis in unsafe spaces. It's hilariously close to mocking themselves, and often is, without their realizing it. It's as if, in a slightly more realistic rewrite of Orwell's 1984, Julia has a conversation with Winston wherein he repeats the Party line with a lack of convincing conviction, then later at her forest hideout, red chastity sash hanging from a nearby branch, naked Julia talks about what a pathetic robot the old man is to some younger lover of hers. She doesn't realize that the dehumanized tone implies that the conditioning is weak, which in turn implies that the conditioning has been weakened; she doesn't see that, in the safety of privacy Winston the "NPC" is, and will be, on her side.

And what would Winston's reaction be if he was publicly called out as a mere parrot of Party slogans? His mask of political correctness is the key to his continued social relationships, and because it's in serious jeopardy — in part due to its inauthenticity — he would internally be in a panic. That's too dangerous a situation for Big Brother — or Big Tech — to allow. Twitter's panic shows the vulnerability is real.

The red wave is coming, my friends. The NPCs are free thinkers who wear SJW masks to the water cooler, but the masks don't matter in the voting booth. I was hoping before, but now I know. I was waiting for a sign like this, and it's now upon us.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 18, 2018, 12:23:56 AM
The NPC meme never went off and was basically dead a month ago and suddenly it's the biggest shit next to Bowsette. I wonder what happened.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
The NPC meme never went off and was basically dead a month ago and suddenly it's the biggest shit next to Bowsette. I wonder what happened.
Kavanaugh and mass disillusionment on the Left happened. The reason for the delayed reaction is that it was technically DOA but then the soft target for the meme arrived shortly after the meme itself.
>be s***s
>send hondurians to the us
>they arrive at the border
>drumpf tears babies out of criminal mothers' arms
>muh "children in concentration camps" narrative
>win midterms

Is it a good plan? I feel like it could really work.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info