1 shot 95% of game content

"
Gordyne wrote:

Coming up with unusual builds and/or roleplaying a character then making a viable build around it is much more interesting and fullfilling.

Thank God I changed my mindset :)

This right here. This is exactly what I'm doing at the moment. I have 3 characters in Harbinger, with 2 following this theme.

I pretty much choose an Ascendancy and build it to match the portrait art and flavor text that comes with it.

My inquisitor did just fine with it, completely capable of finishing the entire game as soon as I work out how namelock really makes the fight far more challenging than other skills.

I wish I could say the same for my Guardian, dominating blow is just a lopsided ability.

However, shamefully, I often have to play a clear speed Character in order to better fund these kinds of endeavors except for my glacial hammer guy, he's completely self funded league starter, and actually funded my entire league so far. But I gotta use my crit storm burst guy if I want to pick up quick currency for the day.
"
Xavathos wrote:

The game has clear cut classes and class sets. These sets are almost always what you aim for in the end-game, and these sets also provide exactly the resistances and other stats you need to be successful in your chosen class. It's just grinding them all out that is the name of the game in GD.

Path of Exile is nothing like that. You're not playing a class, you're playing a build. There are no set items and most uniques do not have resists on them. You're forced to play with stats and balance them all out or get destroyed in the end-game. It's a completely different way to go at it and nothing like Grim Dawn or Diablo.

Yes, and if your build isnt supported well by sets, most probably it will just suck. So GGG is right, sets are detrimental for game diversity.

In GD, you also play a BUILD, not class. For example, Conjurer class can have 5 absolutely different builds with different skill and playstyles - physical/bleed melee, lightning marksman, summoner, vitality DoT caster and lightning totem + wind devil caster.
And at the same time, different classes can gave almost the same gear, main skills, passives and use the same playstyles (= same build).
The main problem, as i said - if your build isnt supported well by items (mostly, with items that have fixed stats), it will be bad for endgame. And the endgame itself sucks, let's be honest.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
If you think the game is too easy... you can just handi-cap yourself.

"I'm not allowed to use 6-link items."

"This overpowered skill is too strong, Gotta use something else"

"This skill is really bad... Let's make it work."
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

But regarding items, Grim Dawn sucks badly.
BiS items are mostly "legendaries" (uniques, items with fixed stats), but very few of them are actually build-defining, most just have superior stats, that's all. As a result, characters gets BiS gear too easily.
Items with random properties in GD have just 2 mods, and rare items just have 1 (or in very rare cases, 2) "rare" mods, that are meant to be superior to "magic" ones. The problem is, most of those "rare" mods are pure junk, some are good, but only a bit better than corresponding "magic" mods, and only VERY FEW of those mods are actually very powerful. Their rarity usually doesnt justify their power.
Furthermore, GD has a huge number of different resistances (~10 damage resistance, and ~5 CC resistances), and almost all of them should be capped, if you dont want to take insane damage from certain enemies, or get "stunlocked". Even worse, many enemies can reduce your resistance with various abilities (that cant be easily countered by curse-immune flask, as it is in PoE), and if you dont overcap significant resistances, you're still fucked! If you think that 4-5 resistances in PoE is hard to manage, imagine managing 12-15, with overcaps!!! It's just a pure bullshit!
Also, GD has insane number of damage types (~15), and to make a damage type relevant, you should have ~1500% increased damage for that type (not ~300% as it is in PoE). As a result, focusing on 1-2 (in rare cases, 3) damage types in the only way to play, and you're still very limited, because if you lack some increased damage from certain items, skills, etc, you're fucked, and mere flat damage from "wrong" amage type is completely useless.

You don't need to cap resistances, elementeal resistance is very easy to get and a lot of players keep some specific items in iventory to help in certain areas and bosses that focus on 1 or 2 damage types. Undead skeleton dungeons generally means high vitality and physical damage, entrapment dur reduction is also necessary, so you focus on these ones.

There are also lots of resist potions and ointments that last a lot and aren't hard to craft so you can use these to cover your defenses. GD gives you a LOT of tools, you just have to use it.

The "rare" items you mention are probably the green ones that are monster infrequents and are very situational, they generally fit a very specific build in which case they might benefit yours a lot, but if not then they are barely better than "magic" items. GD is like that, it seems superficial and pointless at first sight...

The BiS you mention aren't required unless you are a million DPS freak, if you farm for a bit you will find lots of decently powerful items to make your build viable. PoE makes you jump through too many loops in order to make the build you want exactly how you imagined it, many times while levelling you will find gear with good stats but without the sockets/colors/links you want, but you want to save orbs for endgame so you will end up selling many good items or keep bad items because of their link setup. Want to upgrade your chestpiece? Better pray that the next yellow one has the right link setup.

Too many RNG loops to jump through, IMO.
"
Gordyne wrote:

You don't need to cap resistances, elementeal resistance is very easy to get and a lot of players keep some specific items in iventory to help in certain areas and bosses that focus on 1 or 2 damage types. Undead skeleton dungeons generally means high vitality and physical damage, entrapment dur reduction is also necessary, so you focus on these ones.

For normal campain? Sure, you dont need to overcap, or even cap your resists. Same as in PoE, you can kill Kitava with non-capped resists and subpar gear.

But when we talk about endgame (and in GD, Crucible at Gladiator difficulty is the one), then capping most resists is imperative, you wont survive without that (and you wont have time to change our gear). Same in PoE, when it comes to high-tier maps.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power

Ah, then you're probably right. I haven't played Crucible yet...
this is my 2 cent

i think the issue , is this game dont ask you to be versatile , so because you dont need to be versatile , you just have to use 1 damage type and optimise the most dps this result 1 shot kill , i think poe need to ask more versatile build , having build using 2 type of damage like this the 1 shot build will be reduce , how to do this easy monster have high resistance vs damage type ( this make any sense if you are fire build 1 shot fire monster Oo, so player choosing 1 type of dps optimise build sometime will be slow down they will need 2 attack and using conversion gem or item skill ect ... to have 2 type of dps , my opinion this look a bit bad player 1 shot all the map or just running using some huge aoe aura and using any ability and 1 shot kill everything , poe is more of this in my book peace :)
play my first rpg on the intellivision :)
Chris Wilson"I want to make sure that melee classes are as good as they can be"
Last edited by charley222 on Sep 27, 2017, 12:14:43 PM
Threads like these are some of the silliest ones I read. You know, to put it in perspective (PoE proven to be one of, if not, the toughest ARPG to play on the market), it is proven that if you play any game long enough no matter what game you play and no matter how difficult any game is proven to be, you are going to master it so as to eventually lead to the game feeling easy-mode, anyway.

What gives? There is a reason why the old adage 'practice makes perfect' exists.

"
charley222 wrote:
this is my 2 cent

i think the issue , is this game dont ask you to be versatile , so because you dont need to be versatile , you just have to use 1 damage type and optimise the most dps this result 1 shot kill , i think poe need to ask more versatile build , having build using 2 type of damage like this the 1 shot build will be reduce , how to do this easy monster have high resistance vs damage type ( this make any sense if you are fire build 1 shot fire monster Oo, so player choosing 1 type of dps optimise build sometime will be slow down they will need 2 attack and using conversion gem or item skill ect ... to have 2 type of dps , my opinion this look a bit bad player 1 shot all the map or just running using some huge aoe aura and using any ability and 1 shot kill everything , poe is more of this in my book peace :)

Are you kidding me? PoE is plenty 'versatile' compared to other ARPGs on the market. Your builds are only versatile as you want them to be. And no, you do not just have to use one damage type (neither are you forced to) to make any build viable. You can mix damage types and swap out Skill Gems and weapons for new ones to do other things besides using the same Skill Gems and gear setups all the time. The idea, however, is to plan your Skill Tree out where it is made for versatility with other damage types in mind. There are even clever damage conversions you can utilize.

To take it a step further, you can even force difficulty on yourself by purposely manipulating your build to be underpowered rather than have all the best-in-slot, perfectly rolled min/maxed gear, and how hard is that?

Unless you are trying to climb the Ladder with some hardcore competition, ask yourself, "Who am I competing with?" Why does everybody feel so inclined to make such perfect builds with the highest damage output imaginable when the game is soloed, anyway, by the time you get to end-game? Sure, you may invite friends to run Maps with you, but how often are you playing with friends vs. playing alone? Not very often. Therefore, far as the difficulty factor goes in PoE, it is all about state of mind vs. trying to follow the 'must...have...highest DPS possible, omgerd!'

PoE is fine. You just need to broaden your playstyle a bit. Not everything is so 'one-way' as you believe, unless of course you use some brainless meta setup that focuses on using one Skill or damage type all the way through, and yes, those builds exist, YET that does not mean you have to play that way. There are other things you can do than what the metas would have you believe to be more versatile. One thing about PoE is it does reward players for being 'smart' when creating builds.

TL;DR I do not think it is fair to judge a game like PoE proven to be versatile because of one's lack of build creativity. Again, your build is only versatile as you want it to be and/or plan it out to be.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Sep 27, 2017, 2:28:31 PM
btw i just share my opinion so no need to get emotional if you are disagree ,

here 1 exemple no need do anything any need to use bash or casting something except running and burn everything in 1 sec , i know already you will be disagree i guess maybe because you use and like free stuff , but in the end of the day 1 type of damage optimise ,nothing versatile here 1 sec kill i guess 100% what i`m saying before , i guess good optimise build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0MM89V8KMU this game is full of this and is sad 95% of the game offer any type of challenge in my opinion . exemple if you are fire build and fight fire monster the monster suppose to have higher resit for the same element .my 2 cent peace
play my first rpg on the intellivision :)
Chris Wilson"I want to make sure that melee classes are as good as they can be"
Last edited by charley222 on Sep 27, 2017, 1:25:42 PM
"
charley222 wrote:
this is my 2 cent

Then everyone will be playing Inquisitor.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info