1 shot 95% of game content

I'm not a huge fan either. I really enjoyed like 5 min elite fights in D3 at start. But most ppl love one shotting and 1-2 min maps. Just feeling really powerful and racking up farm numbers.

There are some fun things you can try like 3L or 4L to end game. I actually beat 15 maps with a 3L before. Try 16s :P

Play SSF. which is basically delays time before you get really OP.

Play non-meta or melee.

etc.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 25, 2017, 3:55:46 AM
90% of the game you one shot until
10% of the game one shots you.

Some refer to this as a design philosophy called "Surprise motherfucker".
Yes, it catches the player off guard, but does that make your game good?

I disagree. I think D3 is better on this part because it doesn't let you alt-f4,
and the (last time I played) content dmg curve was pretty stable.
The poe curve is a fucking insane cliff. You melt legions of monsters all day who only hurt you for 1-5% life and then some boss hits you for 99%. Absolute bullshit.

And why is that? Because poe has alt-f4, and that allows players to just bail out if there's ANY room to assess the situation and stop to think for 3 seconds,
like "ok this hurts a LOT and I think I'm going to die if I stay so I hit alt-f4"....

so the devs go "fucking critics say our game is too easy, they can just alt-f4 and never die",
and what do they do? Remove the 3 second window of aborting a fight,
and turn it into ZERO POINT THREE seconds.

Horrible call.
Unbiased fact: D3 wins this one.
"Players can now smack around players who are having trouble very early on."
-Bex
"
Char1983 wrote:

There are few things in this game that pose a real challenge to my character, and my character isn't that well-geared and my skill isn't that great. Namely, things that are a real challenge are:

- Shaper
- Uber Atziri
- Phoenix
- The other three Guardians in rippy maps
- Probably Chayula and maybe Uul-Netol? No idea, never faced them
- Probably Abaxoth in hard maps? Not sure either.
- Double Boss Core is also quite a nice challenge.

I hate to be the guy, but you are listing the most challenging encounters, that 95-99% of the player base cant do.
And for some reason you expect the rest of the game still to be challenging, when you have a build thats strong enough to deal with those top encounters...

That means in conclusion:
You want to close the gap (in terms of difficulty and gear requirements) between the top encounters and the rest of the game.
If GGG did that, there would be more builds available to tackle endgame - but since those are the most difficult encounters, the rest of the game will be a cakewalk for those builds by definition.
So except for the fact, that now more builds can stomp over all content, nothing changes.

Or to phrase it in different way:
Why would you expect the normal game content to be challenging, when you create or follow a build thats designed to fight the most difficult content in existence?
Why would you expect a challenging fight against trash or rare mobs, when your build deals some million dps to burst down super endgame bosses in seconds?

What am I missing here?
Last edited by Orbaal on Sep 25, 2017, 6:26:58 AM
"
Orbaal wrote:
What am I missing here?

Not you, the others are missing logic.
Play a build with the following key nodes for a real challenge:

Chaos Inoculation, Eldritch Battery and of course Bond. Ancestral Bond.

Now you are as one with the one shot meta.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Sep 25, 2017, 1:55:17 PM
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
You dont have to pay for Shaper's set, you can just run T16 maps and get fragments yourself (if you're good enough). T16 map costs around 3 chaos, plus in 50-75% of cases, you'll get another T16 map from yours. So, the realistic price for Shaper's set is 4-8 chaos.

By that logic, Uber Atziri fragments are free, because you can just farm low-tier maps or regular game content until you got enough Sacrifice Fragments, and then farm Atziri until you have an Uber Set.

What I am trying to say: Your logic is flawed.

If I run a Shaper set, I will have 25c later afterwards, because I could alternatively have sold the Shaper set for 25c.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Even if you pay 25c per Shaper (which probably means you have a dedicated Shaper-farmer build, that isnt really god at everything else), you still will earn profits in average, from Starforge and Dying Sun drops.

Correct. If I am sure I can kill Shaper. Attempting Shaper costs 25c, such that now I will only run them if I know I can beat him. Which is... dumb.

"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
Oh, and Guardian maps arent rippy, only guardians themselves are. If your build dies to trash in T16, you either have too low level, too bad gear, or your build is just a bullshit!

Thanks, I know that, I've killed all Guardians in rare corrupted maps. I've also killed Shaper. And no, of course I do not die to trash in T16 maps, which you would know if you had actually read my post. Besides, I never said that Guardian maps were rippy, I said that Guardians in rippy maps (i.e. hard-rolled maps with stuff like Temp Chains, Vuln, -max, Boss damage, monster damage, or monster speed, and combinations thereof) were a challenge.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Orbaal wrote:
I hate to be the guy, but you are listing the most challenging encounters, that 95-99% of the player base cant do.
And for some reason you expect the rest of the game still to be challenging, when you have a build thats strong enough to deal with those top encounters...

Well, other games did a better job at that for sure. Diablo2 managed to throw challenging content at me on a much more regular basis, as far as I can recall. And I could still beat the end boss.

"
Orbaal wrote:
That means in conclusion:
You want to close the gap (in terms of difficulty and gear requirements) between the top encounters and the rest of the game.
If GGG did that, there would be more builds available to tackle endgame - but since those are the most difficult encounters, the rest of the game will be a cakewalk for those builds by definition.
So except for the fact, that now more builds can stomp over all content, nothing changes.

What? Your logic doesn't seem to make any sense.

Yes, I would like to close the gap, because right now you can easily end up with a character for which Normal Atziri can be done with one hand tied behind your back, but Uber is completely impossible. Or for which most of the game is a complete snoozefest, but Shaper is completely impossible.

To get there, you either have to make Shaper/Uber easier, or the rest of the game harder. In the first variant, more builds can do end-game content, yes, but nothing changes for the rest of the game. In the second variant, the rest of the game gets harder and becomes challenging.

The idea that the fact that you can beat the most difficult encounters must mean that you can cakewalk the rest of the game comes from the current implementation by GGG, which in fact means that. But it doesn't have to mean that. It just means that because the gap between normal content and bosses or end-game content is so huge.

Also, I wouldn't mind so much if the end-game content wasn't gated.

"
Orbaal wrote:
Or to phrase it in different way:
Why would you expect the normal game content to be challenging, when you create or follow a build thats designed to fight the most difficult content in existence?

I do expect games to provide me with meaningful content that does challenge me, and is not gated, yes. PoE is the first game I've come across which has not done that. Maybe that is why I am so surprised.
"
twothe wrote:
In this kind of game you are supposed to one-shot all nameless mobs. If that does not match your taste, you are playing the wrong type of game.
so why wasnt this the case when the game came out ? you couldnt one-shot some white mobs, let alone magic mobs.

by your logic, old poe was the 'wrong type of game', yea ?

and before anyone brings up the tired and false arpg generalizations, no, being an arpg doesnt mean you have to one-shot white or blue mobs. this was never true and I can name tons of arpgs where it isnt true.

starting with the famous Diablo (the original), where your power is severely limited, especially if you arent a sorc
Last edited by grepman on Sep 25, 2017, 4:32:44 PM
"
Char1983 wrote:

Yes, I would like to close the gap, because right now you can easily end up with a character for which Normal Atziri can be done with one hand tied behind your back, but Uber is completely impossible. Or for which most of the game is a complete snoozefest, but Shaper is completely impossible.

this was GGG's attempt to cater to a more casual audience. basically make mapping accessible and doable for any half-assed build out there, and the 'tip of the iceberg' for the audience who want challenge.

the problem is that the tip is getting smaller and smaller but gap is getting wider (thats what she said, I guess).

the boss hp boost was a good attempt to bridge the gap, but it simply isnt enough.

the problem is once GGG makes a certain baseline, they cant make it a ton harder because casual players will riot (look how much shit people said about bosses health changes, even though a decent build still kills them near instantly)
Well, if their balance department actually did balance the game to lessen (not: remove) the gap between different builds, that would help a lot.

Also, if they made end-game-worthy gear more accessible (for example: 6-links), or alternatively made the difference between "normal" gear and high-end-gear smaller, and made rares that drop actually usable, that would also help. But I guess some players really can't handle it if they cannot feel superior to others.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info