Do I need to have a naked slave woman shackled to my mana pool?

"
Completed 16 ChallengesKenshiD wrote:
Turn off your feminist glasses please OP

>Kills mostly males the entire game (bandits, zombies, most of the ebony soldiers)

>complains about girls in shackles


"
But it'd be disingenuous to pretend that all women ought to be be comfortable with the degradation and enslavement of other women.


Would you complain if it would have been men, that were enslaved?
It seems you only care about it because it's women who are enslaved, so you are okay with slaves as long it's not women or what?

Sounds super hypocritical to me.

I guess you either have a problem in general with the violent nature of the artstyle of the game or you are just being in favor of one sex over the other.


I'm making a suggestion to the developers because:

* It makes me, personally, uncomfortable.

* It's a major UI element that you have to look at ALL THE TIME, not something that comes up and goes away and can be forgotten during much of the game

* When I find things in games make me a bit uncomfortable, they're usually MAJOR turn-offs to any female friends I know who are less hardcore about videogames. When I really like a game, I like to be able to recommend it to others and get them involved. If I end up really liking this game, I would like to be able to recommend it to others without a million caveats.

I mean, if the response is "Suck it up," that's the response.


TLDR: The mana pool woman makes me a bit uncomfortable and I have very good reason to believe she will make (some) other women - who aren't willing or interested enough to say anything - feel unwelcome as players of this game. I decided to say something as a favor to myself and the developers. :)
So you don't like the Mana orb.

What about the Health orb?
"
Zifna wrote:
"
Completed 16 ChallengesKenshiD wrote:
Turn off your feminist glasses please OP

>Kills mostly males the entire game (bandits, zombies, most of the ebony soldiers)

>complains about girls in shackles


"
But it'd be disingenuous to pretend that all women ought to be be comfortable with the degradation and enslavement of other women.


Would you complain if it would have been men, that were enslaved?
It seems you only care about it because it's women who are enslaved, so you are okay with slaves as long it's not women or what?

Sounds super hypocritical to me.

I guess you either have a problem in general with the violent nature of the artstyle of the game or you are just being in favor of one sex over the other.


I'm making a suggestion to the developers because:

* It makes me, personally, uncomfortable.

* It's a major UI element that you have to look at ALL THE TIME, not something that comes up and goes away and can be forgotten during much of the game

* When I find things in games make me a bit uncomfortable, they're usually MAJOR turn-offs to any female friends I know who are less hardcore about videogames. When I really like a game, I like to be able to recommend it to others and get them involved. If I end up really liking this game, I would like to be able to recommend it to others without a million caveats.

I mean, if the response is "Suck it up," that's the response.


TLDR: The mana pool woman makes me a bit uncomfortable and I have very good reason to believe she will make (some) other women - who aren't willing or interested enough to say anything - feel unwelcome as players of this game. I decided to say something as a favor to myself and the developers. :)


The things about this game that make you uncomfortable are MAJOR turn ons for me, and the mana orb is definitely sexier than the health orb, if anything we need to have the artwork on the health pool girl brought up to snuff.

I don't feel women should be made uncomfortable by it, I just think they need to look at it from a different perspective. Rhianna says it best: sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me!
WARNING
This comment contains pure rage and is not directed towards women, but to Zifna as a whiny person, who complains about minor things and wants special treatments, because of her delicate feelings.


"
Zifna wrote:

I'm making a suggestion to the developers because:

* It makes me, personally, uncomfortable.

* It's a major UI element that you have to look at ALL THE TIME, not something that comes up and goes away and can be forgotten during much of the game

* When I find things in games make me a bit uncomfortable, they're usually MAJOR turn-offs to any female friends I know who are less hardcore about videogames. When I really like a game, I like to be able to recommend it to others and get them involved. If I end up really liking this game, I would like to be able to recommend it to others without a million caveats.

I mean, if the response is "Suck it up," that's the response.


TLDR: The mana pool woman makes me a bit uncomfortable and I have very good reason to believe she will make (some) other women - who aren't willing or interested enough to say anything - feel unwelcome as players of this game. I decided to say something as a favor to myself and the developers. :)



"
* It makes me, personally, uncomfortable.


Too sad!
Get a thicker skin seriously.

"
It's a major UI element that you have to look at ALL THE TIME, not something that comes up and goes away and can be forgotten during much of the game


As many stated before, they haven't even noticed it. I haven't noticed for the most time I played this game (and that's about 10 months now). All I check is how low the red or blue is, and not what my girls are doing down there.

"
* When I find things in games make me a bit uncomfortable, they're usually MAJOR turn-offs to any female friends I know who are less hardcore about videogames. When I really like a game, I like to be able to recommend it to others and get them involved. If I end up really liking this game, I would like to be able to recommend it to others without a million caveats.


If people are driven away by something mild as that, then I'm pretty happy they don't come. I don't want ultra PC people ruin everything, including Path of Exile.
Just because you are uncomfortable with half-nude girls in shackles doesn't mean the artist is redoing his work just because your little feelings got hurt.

"
I mean, if the response is "Suck it up," that's the response.


Yes it is.

"
believe she will make (some) other women - who aren't willing or interested enough to say anything - feel unwelcome as players


A)
Either women are really this bad and cannot deal with the slightest things
or
B) Your view of women is the most sexist thing I've ever come across. "women are too weak to handle a piece of art in a videogame, their virgin eyes need to be protected"
Is that your view of women? Or do you know people like that? If that is so, that's sad that people are so whiny and can't handle anything.

If I don't like something in a medium, be it a game, movie or w/e I normally stay away and don't go to the artist and tell him that he hurt my feelings with it.
Do you write deathmetal bands letters that they shouldn't sing about killing and death and brutal stuff anymore, because it makes you feel uncomfortable?

Not everyone is such a wuss about minor things as some graved in girls.


"
I decided to say something as a favor to myself and the developers


NO! you did it in your favor. Because as soon as the developers undermine their own personal integrity to please some whiny plebs this game is doomed.

You don't like it?

Fine, deal with out leave.

PS:

This game contains - Nudity (both male and female), Gore (slaughtered people of both sexes), NPCs of both sexes either "good" or "evil", A dark fantasy setting.

If any of this offends you, stay away. Play http://www.hellokittyonline.com/
Thank you.
Evasion Lolipower
Essence Drain Trickster Build Guide - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1635168
OP needs to have more relationships with opposite sex in RL. People always complain about stupid things when they lack good "attention".
Bullshit makes the flowers grow
"
Zifna wrote:
TLDR: The mana pool woman makes me a bit uncomfortable and I have very good reason to believe she will make (some) other women - who aren't willing or interested enough to say anything - feel unwelcome as players of this game. I decided to say something as a favor to myself and the developers. :)


If this makes you feel uncomfortable, but mutilated and disfigured corpses and lakes of blood with piles of bodies in them don't, then something is a bit off about your sensibilities, I'd say.

While I can't speak from a female perspective myself, I actually really enjoyed the oppressive sense of discomfort that this game made me feel at various points. This might seem weird, but I suppose my life is comfortable enough outside of games that a little discomfort adds flavour and can be pleasant in a strange way. After all, why do people read H. P. Lovecraft novels or watch horror films?

As for the health and mana pool statues, well, they're clearly made of stone or metal. I'd always thought of them as being suggestive of or inspired by the figurehead carvings on ships, myself. Traditionally, those have not been the most modest objects of art, to say the least. I'd always thought of their bindings as being as much a structural thing as part of what is being depicted -- as if the statues might collapse under their own weight if their bindings were broken. The chains also help to suggest that nautical theme which fits in with the opening of the game and title screen.

223586278_c13372e646
Last edited by MesostelZe on Feb 28, 2013 9:17:57 AM
"
Zifna wrote:
"
Completed 16 ChallengesKenshiD wrote:
Turn off your feminist glasses please OP

>Kills mostly males the entire game (bandits, zombies, most of the ebony soldiers)

>complains about girls in shackles


"
But it'd be disingenuous to pretend that all women ought to be be comfortable with the degradation and enslavement of other women.


Would you complain if it would have been men, that were enslaved?
It seems you only care about it because it's women who are enslaved, so you are okay with slaves as long it's not women or what?

Sounds super hypocritical to me.

I guess you either have a problem in general with the violent nature of the artstyle of the game or you are just being in favor of one sex over the other.


I'm making a suggestion to the developers because:

* Blood and gore makes me, personally, uncomfortable.

* Blood and gore is a major graphical aspect that you have to look at ALL THE TIME, not something that comes up and goes away and can be forgotten during much of the game

* When I find things in games make me a bit uncomfortable, they're usually MAJOR turn-offs to any friends I know who are less hardcore about videogames. When I really like a game, I like to be able to recommend it to others and get them involved. If I end up really liking this game, I would like to be able to recommend it to others without a million caveats.

I mean, if the response is "Suck it up," that's the response.


TLDR: The Blood and gore makes me a bit uncomfortable and I have very good reason to believe she will make (some) other people - who aren't willing or interested enough to say anything - feel unwelcome as players of this game. I decided to say something as a favor to myself and the developers. :)


Do you see what's wrong with your point of view? Now I'm personally all in favor of more options in games (whether it be changing the UI art, or turning off gore, etc), but it should not necessarily be something the devs should focus on adding in, or something they should absolutely have to add in. I would even argue that it's not something they should focus on at all for a long time as many other pressing matters need to be fixed or implemented, and only a small percentage of people will be bothered by female nudity (or in my example blood and gore). This is a hardcore game with a specific aesthetic in mind, if you don't like deal with it (stop playing, or ignore it, etc).

As far as the whole sexism in video games debate and whether this is "degrading to all women", I personally find that whole point of view a little silly. I feel as if context and meaning are important and this is a fantasy world where people want to go loose themselves in. It doesn't explicitly make political or ideological statements, like for example saying all women should be nude slaves. That's just my take on it, I feel as if people take things in video games without taking in the context or meaning that the game is actually trying to get across, and just immediately say that the game is sexist or degrading because it has nudity. I see naked women in traditional art all the time (chained as well) and yet don't see people complaining there on the same level that we see in video games.
Last edited by kwahip on Feb 27, 2013 2:12:34 PM
A lot of you are taking my tastes very personally, don't you think? Especially since I basically asked for the OPTION not to look at it.

I've had a lot of people pooh-pooh me for even noticing it - although many other people in this thread have chimed in to say "Hey, I noticed it too - and it's HOT."

It's a noticeable element that clearly arouses a certain percentage of the male playerbase.

Even the Grinding Gear employee who posted said:

"
Hmm someone's made threads similar to things like this before

So I'm not alone, either.


The employee also posted that he showed the game to his girlfriend and:

"
When I pointed them out her response was somewhere along the lines of : " Haha... boys."


So, she wasn't offended by them, but she clearly saw the inclusion as a "Boys will be boys" thing.

If that's the tone Grinding Gear wants to take, that's their choice, and I'll suck it up and either play or not play. But I didn't want them to make a "Game For Boys" by accident. If that's what they WANT to do, as many of you have pointed out, that is definitely their choice and I wouldn't say they shouldn't have the freedom to make that choice.
Last edited by Zifna on Feb 27, 2013 2:21:16 PM
"Do i need to have a naked slave woman shackled to my mana pool?"

Yes!
IGN: Vashira / Claw_of_the_Vaal_SMASH
"
I love seeing women in chains personally, whoever made the ui is a hero.





I cannot stop laughing.


Thank you twilightfall, you made my day.
IGN: Darkflayme
My favorite flavor text: "Swinging through the air, it sings
of sundered, severed, missing things."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info