[On Hold] Glacial Cascade Totems [ALL Content in the Game]

Awesome build once again, hit 100 with it today, murdered absolutely all content, including Uber Elder and Aul at depth 300, next goal is to reach depth 600+

Here's my very expensive version of the build:

"
Apart from the mana flask, how to sustain mana with Mind over Matter + Divine Guidance? I have 1.1k unreserved mana (I'm using Essence Worm + Hatred), but I'd like to have better mana sustain, feels a little bit painful.

Also, I'm too slow using Kaom's Roots (and Whirling blades is not too fast too). I could use some help on how to be faster with this build.
You could get mana regeneration on gear and clear mind jewel if you don't reserve any mana. Using an instant mana potion really is the best way though.

Attack Speed is really the only thing that will make you faster.

"
Hi Thi3n

I really enjoy your YouTube vids and guides, very informative but particularly like how you do it solo and still progress reallly well. Learnt lots from you as a solo player myself.

I am wondering, GC miner sabo or scion is another very popular play style and appears to fill the same build objectives as yours - be a comfortable league starter and do all content safely.

Is there a reason you don’t do GC mines? What is the main reason you go totem instead of mines? I believe GC mines has more damage? Which is tankier? Also it seems to have better end game scaling cos you can go LL GC mines for a tanky version. Basically looking for your opinion on how the two compares, advantages and disadvantages of each.
Also of the two, which would you say is a better Uber lab runner? I ask because I think it’s a good way to earn currency in league starts.
I like totems over mines because I can put the totems down and know that everything within range of that totem is dead. Great for mapping and especially with the new loot filter showing up on the minimap. I have played both mines and traps before and they suffer from a mapping quality of life issue where you don't know if there's no loot on your minimap because the monsters didn't drop anything or if your mine/trap targeted funny. Totem playstyle is simply my preference for mapping. Traps and Mines do have better boss damage due to being able to pre-load a bunch of them while Izaro is rising up or Shaper is talking.

All three are great at everything but in my personal experience Mines are the best bossers, totems are the best mappers and trappers are right in between. That's not to say Mines can't map and Totems can't boss - but they each "specialize" in their own strengths. The beauty of path of exile is you can makes choices to suit your playstyle and objectives with a character.

"
Hi,
whats better now in 3.4 ? Arc totem or GC totem ?
I prefer GC.

"
Please, practical example about Penetration:

I'm using Elemental Weakness 20% Quality = -44% Elemental Resis
Cold Penetration Gem Lvl 20 : 37 Cold Penetration
Weapon : Damage Penetrantes 20 Cold Resistance

Then I need to know exactly how it works with normal enemies, guardians and Shaper/Elder:

Normal Enemy : 0% Enemy Resis -44% Elem Weakness Curse -57% Penetration = -101% Cold Resistance

Normal Boss : 30% Enemy Resis -17.6% Elem Weakness Curse(0.4*44%) -57% Penetration = -44.6% Cold Resistance

Shaper/Uber : 40% Enemy Resis - 8.8% Elem Weakness Curse(0.2*44%) -57% Penetration = -25.8% Cold Resistance

Am I right doing calculations here? Please Help.
Your calculations are correct. Sources of resistance penetration are additive and then applied directly against the targets resistance. The more resistance a target has - the more effective dps resistance penetration gives. Against targets with high resistances, resist pen is actually one of the strongest possible stats to get.

"
Awesome build once again, hit 100 with it today, murdered absolutely all content, including Uber Elder and Aul at depth 300, next goal is to reach depth 600+

Your gear is insane lol. I'm very interested in your progress and how deep people are getting with the build. I stopped playing my GC totems after killing uber elder this league but could have kept delving deeper so I'd like to see how deep people are taking GC Totems!
first of all, thanks for the build. having a lot of fun with it.

So should I still go for Fangs of the Viper If survivability seems like more of an issue? I've currently only gone as far as Coordination. I'm considering going for Mind Drinker, Blood Drinker and that jewel socket there instead, and saving the Alchemist nodes for later. thoughts?
Last edited by thetroller on Oct 4, 2018, 2:50:29 PM
Is it possible to adapt this build for fast T12-T14 mapping (sulphite farming mainly and destroying mobs meanwhile)? Like with a help of respeccing 10-20 points and using poet's pens or something like that?

I need a lot of fuel at this point of the league, but farming maps seems really slow with totems build compared to deadeye ele-hit for instance
I am loving this build!!!!

I had been experimenting with this build and got mouse-over 120k dps on Glacial Cascade in Hideout with only hatred and lightning golem buff.
I can keep a 240-250k dps per totem in maps.
Oh, and I have 20% to freeze enemy, and +60% dmg if i freeze an enemy recently. awesome!!!

The problem with my specs and gears is i am a bit squishy, need to be careful running or dashing. Have only 3400 HP and 1600 ES. :(

Still need improvements but still strong as fk.
Thanks!!!!
Last edited by tonnyzhl on Oct 6, 2018, 9:39:34 AM
"
iSammax wrote:
Is it possible to adapt this build for fast T12-T14 mapping (sulphite farming mainly and destroying mobs meanwhile)? Like with a help of respeccing 10-20 points and using poet's pens or something like that?

I need a lot of fuel at this point of the league, but farming maps seems really slow with totems build compared to deadeye ele-hit for instance

You can try what my char is using.
super fast at farming T12-T14.
"
thi3n wrote:
"
Apart from the mana flask, how to sustain mana with Mind over Matter + Divine Guidance? I have 1.1k unreserved mana (I'm using Essence Worm + Hatred), but I'd like to have better mana sustain, feels a little bit painful.

Also, I'm too slow using Kaom's Roots (and Whirling blades is not too fast too). I could use some help on how to be faster with this build.
You could get mana regeneration on gear and clear mind jewel if you don't reserve any mana. Using an instant mana potion really is the best way though.

Attack Speed is really the only thing that will make you faster.

"
Hi Thi3n

I really enjoy your YouTube vids and guides, very informative but particularly like how you do it solo and still progress reallly well. Learnt lots from you as a solo player myself.

I am wondering, GC miner sabo or scion is another very popular play style and appears to fill the same build objectives as yours - be a comfortable league starter and do all content safely.

Is there a reason you don’t do GC mines? What is the main reason you go totem instead of mines? I believe GC mines has more damage? Which is tankier? Also it seems to have better end game scaling cos you can go LL GC mines for a tanky version. Basically looking for your opinion on how the two compares, advantages and disadvantages of each.
Also of the two, which would you say is a better Uber lab runner? I ask because I think it’s a good way to earn currency in league starts.
I like totems over mines because I can put the totems down and know that everything within range of that totem is dead. Great for mapping and especially with the new loot filter showing up on the minimap. I have played both mines and traps before and they suffer from a mapping quality of life issue where you don't know if there's no loot on your minimap because the monsters didn't drop anything or if your mine/trap targeted funny. Totem playstyle is simply my preference for mapping. Traps and Mines do have better boss damage due to being able to pre-load a bunch of them while Izaro is rising up or Shaper is talking.

All three are great at everything but in my personal experience Mines are the best bossers, totems are the best mappers and trappers are right in between. That's not to say Mines can't map and Totems can't boss - but they each "specialize" in their own strengths. The beauty of path of exile is you can makes choices to suit your playstyle and objectives with a character.

"
Hi,
whats better now in 3.4 ? Arc totem or GC totem ?
I prefer GC.

"
Please, practical example about Penetration:

I'm using Elemental Weakness 20% Quality = -44% Elemental Resis
Cold Penetration Gem Lvl 20 : 37 Cold Penetration
Weapon : Damage Penetrantes 20 Cold Resistance

Then I need to know exactly how it works with normal enemies, guardians and Shaper/Elder:

Normal Enemy : 0% Enemy Resis -44% Elem Weakness Curse -57% Penetration = -101% Cold Resistance

Normal Boss : 30% Enemy Resis -17.6% Elem Weakness Curse(0.4*44%) -57% Penetration = -44.6% Cold Resistance

Shaper/Uber : 40% Enemy Resis - 8.8% Elem Weakness Curse(0.2*44%) -57% Penetration = -25.8% Cold Resistance

Am I right doing calculations here? Please Help.
Your calculations are correct. Sources of resistance penetration are additive and then applied directly against the targets resistance. The more resistance a target has - the more effective dps resistance penetration gives. Against targets with high resistances, resist pen is actually one of the strongest possible stats to get.

"

Your gear is insane lol. I'm very interested in your progress and how deep people are getting with the build. I stopped playing my GC totems after killing uber elder this league but could have kept delving deeper so I'd like to see how deep people are taking GC Totems!

Thank you so much T3ian for your reply. That is the best explanation I have seen so far and makes a lot of sense. Once again, thanks for a good guide and really just overall for your youtube vids etc. Top quality stuff.
Your PoB tree seems to be different from the trees you have listed under leveling (and the final tree listed there). Is one of these old? Which one is better? Which one is correct?

Currently my tree looks like your levelling trees, but would be EZ enough to respec those points and go the other tree
Last edited by Hawkcohen on Oct 9, 2018, 2:32:42 AM
"
first of all, thanks for the build. having a lot of fun with it.

So should I still go for Fangs of the Viper If survivability seems like more of an issue? I've currently only gone as far as Coordination. I'm considering going for Mind Drinker, Blood Drinker and that jewel socket there instead, and saving the Alchemist nodes for later. thoughts?
Go for it! I really enjoy when people experiment with passives/items to make the build their own and have it suit their own playstyle.

"

This will never be the speed mapper that your Deadeye is. Think of this build as a jack of all trades. Not really the best mapper or the best bosser but above average at both things.

"
I am loving this build!!!!

I had been experimenting with this build and got mouse-over 120k dps on Glacial Cascade in Hideout with only hatred and lightning golem buff.
I can keep a 240-250k dps per totem in maps.
Oh, and I have 20% to freeze enemy, and +60% dmg if i freeze an enemy recently. awesome!!!

The problem with my specs and gears is i am a bit squishy, need to be careful running or dashing. Have only 3400 HP and 1600 ES. :(

Still need improvements but still strong as fk.
Thanks!!!!
Freeze is really underrated in terms of survivability in maps and deep delves. Another build of mine (elemental hit) I've been thinking of switching to a cold version just to survive at deeper depths!

"
Thank you so much Thi3n for your reply. That is the best explanation I have seen so far and makes a lot of sense. Once again, thanks for a good guide and really just overall for your youtube vids etc. Top quality stuff.
No problem, glad you like the content!

"
Your PoB tree seems to be different from the trees you have listed under leveling (and the final tree listed there). Is one of these old? Which one is better? Which one is correct?

Currently my tree looks like your levelling trees, but would be EZ enough to respec those points and go the other tree
I updated the PoB with my current setup in 3.4 but I just did something different for the sake of it. I have played this build so many times that I've mixed things up just to do it. Trying out different gear setups, skill points, etc. The one in my Leveling section is the tree I recommend for newer players and has probably netted me the cleanest Uber Elders.
Is it viable to go Illuminated Devotion over Divine Guidance for last ascendancy? Seems like the inc aoe would be useful, as would the spell damage, and the leech would make you tankier.

EDIT: Ended up going Divine Guidance because I need the extra defense, but still curious

EDIT: One other thing as well -- I'm having trouble with guardians/shaper, and I'm not sure if it's because of my level or my items. Can someone take a look at my character page and help me out?
My PoB: https://pastebin.com/1Msxv0gV
Last edited by Hawkcohen on Oct 13, 2018, 7:44:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info