Audio Suggestions.

BOSS Movement via Walking & Running:

Maybe not for every single enemy unit, but for Bosses especially, they need to sound more important, if you will, when there is a Boss looming around, especially for BIG Bosses, and by BIG Bosses I don't just mean major ones but minor Bosses too. This would add excitement for players in a way, in that their footsteps are more distinct indicating there's a boss around.

If sometime you guys want to work with sounds on enemy movements, just make sure they're fainter sounding than what Boss movements sound like.

Character Movement via Walking & Running (improve)

1. Ever so little, amplify the sound of footsteps a little more. They are not distinct enough.

2. When characters are running in watery areas, it should not sound like a thud as if walking on concrete grounds, etc. Also, there should be a little splash animation when walking in water. As of now, none of it makes sense when characters walk in shallow waters.

Overall, add better sound differentiation when on certain terrains via grass (the sound of concrete grounds is OK) and other types of ground.

Elaborate Example: I find sandy areas especially not to sound like sandy areas being walked on when players move around on sandy ground. A good example of sandy grounds, concrete ground and watery area can be found in the Act 1 Town.

Everything sounds the same, like a Copy and Paste. There really needs to be diversity here with movement sounds.

Equipment Sounds (improve)

Things need to sound more convincing and somewhat epic, if you will, when it comes to in-game equipment. Since I'm speaking to the sound technician(s) here, you're being too 'shy' with the sounds!

1. Swords and Axes, and if I recall, Hammers, they all sound the same! Add some sound differentiation between them so players get a better idea of what exactly had dropped, because a lot of players go by sound.

2. Anything that has an 'explosive-like' sound effect, for example, the in-game Skill 'Fire Trap' and other similar skill sounds should sound more convincing and explosive when exploding on enemies. As of now, it's very weak (and other explosive sounds,) and it doesn't impress very much.

3. Chain Armors including Head pieces and Chest pieces should sound heavier. They are too weak sounding, in fact, most of the item / equipment sounds are very weak sounding and need to be amplified just a little more.

4. When picking up and placing potions in the Inventory or when dropping, they should have their own rightful sound (that sound they're already given when you use them.) As of now, they don't have a sound for when dropping or placed in the inventory.

5. The Item "Blacksmith's Whetstones' and any other item that shares its sound should actually sound like a rock being placed down in the inventory or when dropping from enemies on the ground. It doesn't sound like a 'stone' to me. It sounds like, for lack of better description, a poor and faint snapping sound of the fingers.

6. I know you guys aren't animators, but when players use their Stash it should be given an animation to open for that player and for a sound to be given to the Stash as a result. The animation of the chest being 'open' would only show when any player or players are using it. This is one of the things that didn't make sense in Diablo II I wanted to see, for the chest to be openable.

Anyway, that's only half a sound suggestion in the above. The rest is up to the animators.

7. Leathery-like armors, etc. sound more or a little less than like scrolls. They should sound more like heavy jackets.

8. When you go to buy boots they don't always sound like boots or the right kind. Also, when buying metal boots, they don't sound like metal boots, they sound like leathery-like boots. There needs to be sound differentiation between different types of boots.

Log-In Screen (improve a little)

Amplify the sound of lightning a little more. It's too faint and doesn't give off the impression of a severe rain storm.

Thank You for reviewing.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jun 5, 2013, 5:26:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NNzJisKQ_ko#t=104s

make sounds for every area boss like this and youll be one step closer to surpassing d2s epicness.
I see the latest patch offered a new feature for muting ambient sounds.

Add Sound Options to mute Weapon Sounds and Enemy Sound Effects too:

It won't hurt to add these Sound Options. It will cover all player personal preferences.

It's hard to enjoy the ambiance and music of PoE when there's enemy sounds and weapon sounds, for hours on end, disturbing the ambiance and music of PoE.

Adding these 2 additional Sound Options lets players take a break from them.

Consulting third-party sources is inconvenient for players and does not fix this. There are also no existing online sources for PoE's ambient sounds.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Jun 5, 2013, 6:19:18 PM
One of my all time favorite gaming moments came in one of the levels of either Thief or Thief 2 (can't remember which), where you are charged with stealing some precious item (can't even remember what!) All I recall is that when you start the level, you hear some low volume humming noise going on in the background. As you get closer and closer to your objective, the sound gets louder and louder. Upon reaching your objective, you realize that noise is actually being produced by the item you are stealing. It is as if the object is alive. The noise is gone instantly once you grab it.

It was a very cool and surprising thing to happen.

I think it's in Vaal pyramid level two? where you roll away that large stone and the world gets dark...

Make it so that when you enter the pyramid, you hear some haunting humming noise, quiet at first, getting louder as you approach that big rock. Once you get to the rock you realize that it's the rock that is making the noise, and as you push it over the edge the noise drops and the world gets dark. Maybe make it scream as it falls like it was alive or something.

:)
what about some new edits of the music in cruel, mercil. this would be cool and less boring, if you random maybe 4 edits of the same track..

some sound effects seems to be sometimes a little bit to loud.

at all great sounds and fx. nothing to change for me ...
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ ++HIDEOUT IMPROVEMENT THREAD: ..../view-thread/2179528...++░░░░▒▒▒▒
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"some sound effects seems to be sometimes a little bit to loud."

It would be awesome if you can give me some examples of what sfx is too loud on your system.

A problem with mixing audio is that it sounds different on almost every system, while I might think its fine from my end, it could be to loud for someone else!
The audio guy.
"
Baldrick wrote:
When you start the level, you hear some low volume humming noise going on in the background. As you get closer and closer to your objective, the sound gets louder and louder. Upon reaching your objective, you realize that noise is actually being produced by the item you are stealing. It is as if the object is alive. The noise is gone instantly once you grab it.

It was a very cool and surprising thing to happen.

I think it's in Vaal pyramid level two? where you roll away that large stone and the world gets dark...

Make it so that when you enter the pyramid, you hear some haunting humming noise, quiet at first, getting louder as you approach that big rock. Once you get to the rock you realize that it's the rock that is making the noise, and as you push it over the edge the noise drops and the world gets dark. Maybe make it scream as it falls like it was alive or something.

:)

Second. Note, however, that this has already been implemented in the Cavern of Anger, where you hear the moaning of the Siren as you're searching for Merveil's Lair...Although it is not exactly the same, it is similar. The devs are on the right track !

Special attention to detail will definitely add to overall replayability and future nostalgia for Path of Exile.

Domination : ZebraTrance
Standard : ENERGIE_ONE
Anarchy : SS_SKRILLEZ
Legacy (2017): LightOfTheAryans
Last edited by Black_Whisperer on Jul 30, 2013, 3:05:29 PM
Delete This Post.
Last edited by Black_Whisperer on Jul 30, 2013, 3:03:35 PM
Audio Customisation
Valve-level Customisation like Garry's Mod or Half Life 2

DISCLAIMER: Of course, we do not want us interfering with the business that you already do with the custom effects and animations and such. I have yet to hear of anything planned for the selling of custom sounds/audio, however.

I looked at the Path of Exile folders (in local drive and documents) and nowhere do I see it possible to edit/replace the audio so that I may insert Diablo II sound bits for my own amusement and nostalgia. I googled this as well, but nothing turned up... Will players be allowed to customise the audio files like they do for Valve games in future? (ie. Half Life 2 and Counter Strike gun shots)

I believe this should be encouraged and implemented for maximum replayability.

Take a look at this:
FakeFactory Cinematic Mod
http://cinematicmod.com

Or don't take a look at it.

The point is, that is a 2012 modification of a 10-year-old game made back in 2003....The guy's currently working on a mod for 2013.

Last edited by Black_Whisperer on Jul 30, 2013, 3:14:12 PM
One thing I would like is an option to mute just the music when the game is in the background. Currently, you have the option to mute all sounds, but I'd like to be able to ONLY have the music muted. The reason is sometimes I'll take a break from the game and be browsing the forums, watching youtube videos etc. It would be nice to not have the game music playing over the top of whatever else I'm watching/listening to but still be able to hear if someone messages me(especially if I'm waiting for someone to reply to me about a trade or something).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info