What Dog Shootings Reveal About American Policing.

"
鬼殺し wrote:

...what is real is the overall mistreatment of animals over there. Puppy mills are still a thing. Kill shelters abound. Hell, they still boil lobsters to death over there when cooking them rather than the much more humane freezing. One last tale from the GF: a gator found its way to the road leading to her school. Bus stopped. Kids out. Animal control summoned. Gator, which was torpid due to the weather and time of day, was subdued and removed -- that is to say, it was muzzled, tied to the back of the guy's truck and dragged off around the corner to be shot. I mean, at least they didn't do it in front of the kids, but she remembers hearing that solitary report and likely won't forget it. Humane enough I guess.

What is most interesting to me is the tie between animal cruelty and psychopathy. Those who can easily dissociate animals as feeling creatures and thus feel no compulsion mistreating them (how can you mistreat a thing?) can very easily graduate from that to other people. It's a cliche and a truism.

Glue traps are also very popular there. It's basically a vat of glue where small animals like rodents, birds or lizards get stuck and the more they struggle, the more they injure themselves. Broken bones/torn off limbs isn't uncommon - and a lot of people, after the catch the animal, just throw the live animal in the garbage to starve to death.
"
k1rage wrote:

I dont regard all animals as equal i guess

Lobsters are food and should be prepared as such

my doggies on the other hand are my pets I love them and treat them as such

if im going to pay top dollar for lobster I want it done properly

lastly You actually can hear me yay :)

now you will probably mute me again :(

Just because an animal is food doesn't mean you should torture it before you kill it.

Cruelty to animals is wrong whether it's done to a lobster, to a cow or to a dog. The only difference is that you have an emotional attachment to one animal, but not another.

Whole point being; you don't need to boil the lobster to death to enjoy really good lobster. Nor do you need to slowly beat a cow to death with a crowbar to enjoy good steak. Nor do you need to burn a rat alive to get rid of it from your home. Etc.

See where I'm getting at?
"
pneuma wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what the end-goal of wanting to treat all animals humanely is. If I can afford to inconvenience myself to give animals more space, I will, but when push comes to shove or the cost gets too onerous, humans come first.

Does there have to be an end-goal?

I mean, the whole point of treating animals with respect is because we recognise them as more than biological automations. They're breathing, feeling animals - a lot which have cognition enough to display empathy, happiness, depression, etc. A lot of animals share this trait, especially mammals like dogs, rats, horses, etc.

Animal abuse and treating them as objects is never something we should strive for, or be proud of.
"
BarryL wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what the end-goal of wanting to treat all animals humanely is. If I can afford to inconvenience myself to give animals more space, I will, but when push comes to shove or the cost gets too onerous, humans come first.

I mean, the whole point of treating animals with respect is because we recognise them as more than biological automations. They're breathing, feeling animals - a lot which have cognition enough to display empathy, happiness, depression, etc. A lot of animals share this trait, especially mammals like dogs, rats, horses, etc.

Animal abuse and treating them as objects is never something we should strive for, or be proud of.

To be fair. I don't really feel much of anything for animals that I aren't attached to. Sorry my empathy level isn't on the high side. We don't strive for Animal abuse, we usually don't care one way or the other.

Boo hooo. Animal abuse, that is so sad. No. We don't. We are play acting for our fellow human beings. If you want us, we could.
"
BarryL wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:

I dont regard all animals as equal i guess

Lobsters are food and should be prepared as such

my doggies on the other hand are my pets I love them and treat them as such

if im going to pay top dollar for lobster I want it done properly

lastly You actually can hear me yay :)

now you will probably mute me again :(

Just because an animal is food doesn't mean you should torture it before you kill it.

Cruelty to animals is wrong whether it's done to a lobster, to a cow or to a dog. The only difference is that you have an emotional attachment to one animal, but not another.

Whole point being; you don't need to boil the lobster to death to enjoy really good lobster. Nor do you need to slowly beat a cow to death with a crowbar to enjoy good steak. Nor do you need to burn a rat alive to get rid of it from your home. Etc.

See where I'm getting at?

I get what your saying but the proper way to cook a lobster is still to boil it

the death is very nearly instant
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:

Please tell that to the chef. I am not responsible for cooking it, I am only responsible for eating it. I never ask the chef how did my food die.
"
deathflower wrote:
"
k1rage wrote:

Please tell that to the chef. I am not responsible for cooking it, I am only responsible for eating it. I never ask the chef how did my food die.

A real Chief wouldn't need to be told he would have learned in culinary school
I dont see any any key!
"
BarryL wrote:
"
pneuma wrote:

If it's free, sure. If there is no cost involved and the choice is "kick a dog" or "leave it alone", the answer is obvious to everyone.

But that's not what I was talking about.

How do you feel about spaying or neutering? You're obviously committing a heinous, unnatural crime on the animal. We could just not do that and then live with the results of an explosive small pet population.

How do you feel about leashes and cages? It's certainly wrong to lock animals up that have never harmed a fly. It surely makes them depressed. We could just not do that and then deal with animals roaming the streets.

How do you feel about pest control? Rats are vectors for disease in addition to eating our food. We could just not kill them at a cost to human life when they spread the next affliction through our cities.

No, in all these cases we assert our superiority over them and put humans first. That's what I'm talking about.
"
k1rage wrote:

A real Chief wouldn't need to be told he would have learned in culinary school

You are 3rd rate cook. From what I heard, they can chill it putting it to sleep, then slice it through its head supposedly to severed its nervous system killing it in one cut, then process to cooking it.
Last edited by deathflower on Jul 21, 2017, 6:06:52 PM
"
deathflower wrote:

To be fair. I don't really feel much of anything for animals that I aren't attached to. Sorry my empathy level isn't on the high side. We don't strive for Animal abuse, we usually don't care one way or the other.

Boo hooo. Animal abuse, that is so sad. No. We don't. We are play acting for our fellow human beings. If you want us, we could.

Oh wow, so much edge in that comment.

Apparently there's no such thing as altruism in your world-view.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info