Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

What Dog Shootings Reveal About American Policing.

I know what you are speaking of. Very disturbing; they deliberately turned their body cams off? WTF? Needs to be illegal. I have a bad feeling we won't hear more about it though. :(
Censored.
This story is one that really stuck out to me. I remember reading an article about it where he said it was partially his military training that led him to see the man wasn't a threat, although I can't find that one any more, so take that with a grain of salt.

I do wonder, however, whether the problem isn't that the US police are becoming more and more like the military, but that they're getting armed in a manner similar to the military without getting the kind of training the military get to drill into them the safe use of those weapons, and the correct ways to judge threats.

While my own (admittedly very brief) interactions with US police were perfectly reasonable, and I suspect that's true for the majority of the time, it does seem like there's serious problems over there.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I think cops have an attitude of preemption that probably didnt exist years ago.
I'd agree on that. I'm not sure how that came about, but I suspect as what happened with policing became more public, they begin to take more criticism, and subsequent legal heat, which led to much stronger union rules and a few laws to shield them.

I support protecting the police who are doing their job correctly, but I do think we need more unbiased oversight. Body cams that are on and recording anytime the officer is on duty need to be mandatory, as well as either a back up body cam, or system redundancy.

"
kolyaboo wrote:
I know what you are speaking of. Very disturbing; they deliberately turned their body cams off? WTF? Needs to be illegal. I have a bad feeling we won't hear more about it though. :(

I first saw the tragedy of the Australian woman being shot by the Minneapolis police last night, and there wasn't a lot of information released. Supposedly, the police department isn't allowed to handle their own investigations anymore (which to me sounds like they were already in hot water) which is why they haven't commented. For three days to have elapsed with no substantial official comment looks suspiciously like they are trying to find a way to spin this story or cover it up.

That one thing they have released - that officer Noor fired across his partner at a woman in pajama's "because he heard a loud noise" is pathetic. Noor was already the subject of previous incidents, with one of them still pending for alleged battery and false imprisonment.

A very simple federal rule might take care of much of these incidents - Police are not paid for any hours their body cams are off or not recording.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Yes. Australia is shocked at what happened. No, we don't need to be polled.

Some of you probably didnt even hear about it. Its that normal over there now.

I dont know what dog shootings say about American policing, but gunning down unarmed citizens who call to report an incident? That they're that much on edge, that afraid of the people they're meant to protect? And can then refuse to give a statement? That says plenty.

Congrats on reinforcing the global opinion your country is sick, America.

If America is that sick why do you keep taking your vacations over here?
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jul 19, 2017, 4:47:00 AM
All these people across the world that hate US police based on a few exaggerated stories and situations... It's sad really.

First of all, yes there are bad cops, but the media loves talking about it when a legit cop shoots a criminal and makes it out like the criminal was a victim, or that the cop was racist, or both.

Take Darren Wilson for example, he was just doing his job and apprehending a criminal but now he has to live with social justice constantly all because he defended himself.

In the mean time, every cop I've ever met seemed very professional and otherwise had a good head on their shoulders.

I give the police here in the US all the support I can because so many people blindly hate all of them and stereotype them based on deception from news outlets.
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Never run up to a police car... You can wave down a police officer, the universal SOS sign, wave your hands up in the air, but never run up to a police car. I read countless articles on the subject matter every single article states female ran up to the cop car BUT this is what was reported by the police officer.

The woman looks smart I don't think she would run to a police car without yelling to them... But we will never know. Especially at night who in the right mind runs up to a police car regardless of circumstances?

We live in a world of unknowns... My biggest question is the cameras. Why were they off?

I hope her family finds justice and my condolences to them. I hope her passing is a huge wake up call to everyone.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"

In the mean time, every cop I've ever met seemed very professional and otherwise had a good head on their shoulders.

Me too. I've had no bad experiences with cops. But you're missing the point. The point is there have been definite instances where other people have had bad experiences with cops. You and I are fortunate to have had good experiences with cops. But other people aren't so lucky. And it's not their fault. For example, have you heard of the Philandro Castille shooting? Have you watched the video? Do you know the cop was found not guilty?

Edit: I probably shouldn't even be talking to you b/c there is no way for me to know that you aren't trolling right now. I think that b/c you created that anti-social thread arguing the Earth is actually flat.
Last edited by coatofarms on Jul 19, 2017, 6:28:23 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
I remember reading an article about it where he said it was partially his military training that led him to see the man wasn't a threat, although I can't find that one any more, so take that with a grain of salt.

Actually, the article you linked alludes to this very point. :)

"
Mader counters that he did make a decision – that he decided, based on Williams’ body language and apparent mental state, that he did not present a threat and that de-escalation was the best way to proceed.

Mader had a degree of familiarity with life-and-death situations. A former US marine who saw service in Afghanistan, he said he brought some of that mettle to his job as an officer.
"
coatofarms wrote:
"

Me too. I've had no bad experiences with cops. But you're missing the point. The point is there have been definite instances where other people have had bad experiences with cops.

Although the majority of my experiences with police have been that they handled themselves professionally, not all of them were that way. There have been a couple where it was clear the officer should not be wearing a badge, and should be receiving mental therapy instead.

As for the Minneapolis shooting, judging by the officer's refusal to cooperate with the investigation, I think he should be charged with murder. Whether it is first, second or third degree murder would depend if the officer knew the shooting victim prior, or if he had any connection with the person who was being reported on for sexual assault.

"The independent Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, not the Minneapolis Police Department, is investigating the shooting and revealed on Wednesday that Noor has refused to be interviewed.

'Officer Noor has declined to be interviewed by BCA agents at this time. Officer Noor's attorney did not provide clarification on when, if ever, an interview would be possible,' the BCA said in a press release on it's website"

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ooc/news-releases/Pages/Update-on-BCA-Investigation-of-Minneapolis-Officer-Involved-Shooting.aspx

"Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges said she wished Noor would consent to an interview:
'We can't compel him by law, but I wish that he would make that statement. There are big questions left that we still have and that we hope to have answered soon."

If she isn't pressuring him to testify, then she needs to be removed from office, and possibly the chief of police.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
The question i personally have is what is the media focusing on?
Considering the size of the place, and the general tendency for Americans to consume large amounts of media information be it true, false or misleading and then go about basing their opinions on it, it's not really that hard to assume that maybe due to above mentioned, it's the impression given by mass media that cops in america are there to harass the citizens more than actually protect them.

You can even see this going on in this topic.

Americans or anyone really who has had face to face personal experience with cops over there, have almost entirely only decent experience to report.
Americans or anyone really who haven't had face to face personal experience, but are basing their opinion on general media, are under the assumption that every cop in states is an asshole on powertrip.

I mean yes, certain parts of laws and things police officers are allowed to do over there, are quite over the top, especially from someone who lives in northern Europe.
But then again you also live in a country that has managed to turn incarceration and facilities necessary to accommodate them, into a full blown national busyness.

So in short - Hear evil, see evil, do evil.
No rest for the wicked.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info