True story - A niggardly nagger nagged me about my nuggety nuggets.

Only a ****** can call another ****** ******

https://youtube.com/watch?v=I7Umw70Yulw
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
diablofdb wrote:
I have a question, when is it ok for a white straight male to say the N word in a conversation? I need an answer pls.

Some educational reading (not for the faint of heart!)

Madame Lalaurie's House
Treatment of Slaves in the United States

There are many more materials but if these aren't enough, nothing is.

Now tell me, if a certain word elicits direct associations to these things and they have been done to your ancestors for centuries, would you be happy hearing this word from descendants of the people who did this?

Yes, they get to use the word between themselves, and no, it's not exactly stellar behavior if a white person directs it at them. Get over it.

A lot depends on context, of course. I've seen Louis CK pull off the most outrageous jokes about racism [Removed by Support] and everyone is laughing. If you're using it because you like to be an annoying little shit, well... Let's say I won't shed any tears if you get your ass beaten.

"Oh no, but I can't use this super offensive words anytime I feel like it, what an outrage!"

Would you like to switch places? You can call any motherfucker you like "nigger", and you are also highly likely to get harassed, humiliated, pestered and shot by police without much of a provocation, as well as a thousand other small and great injustices endured on an almost daily basis?
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on May 18, 2017, 3:43:34 PM
pathetic
^Really made me think

"
diablofdb wrote:
I have a question, when is it ok for a white straight male to say the N word in a conversation? I need an answer pls.

meh, between friends what's up mah "-as ending".
Besides that Its not like I ever use "-er" besides discussing the usage of the word and its evolution and how people acting like kindergartners regarding this, is not being an adult despite what ad populum fallacy they use.
Im for usage and evolution of words, "N-word" , "F-word", "C-word" what is this non-sense, you are not grown up referring to words like that in a discussion about words, you are an overly sensitive idiot.
I can see "your" point with the "-er" being offensive, but you got no point with the "-a", its like some people want to be shackled by words or use them to shackle others, quite ironic considering this word specifically (and nah, Im not not using "-er" because of my color, that's fucking stupid).

Oh, and if you use the word freely you have no right to feel offended when I use it in the same style; I dont care if you are black and Im white; you do, you supposing that my usage is automatically racist while your isnt because we differ in color is dishonest and actually speaks of who the real racist is. Oh I am not allowed to use a word? should I seat in the back of the bus as well, massa?

I would use the words but its not accepted here, even within proper linguistic discussion. Me posting the ice cream for example is a stab at these ridiculous limitations (you see hatred cause you wish to see it)
Do not let yourself be conditioned to a point where a simple word strikes you down. Magic only exists if you wish it
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 18, 2017, 6:43:28 PM
"
Disrupted wrote:
^Really made me think

"
diablofdb wrote:

meh, between friends what's up mah "-as ending".
Besides that Its not like I ever use "-er" besides discussing the usage of the word and its evolution and how people acting like kindergartners regarding this, is not being an adult despite what ad populum fallacy they use.
Im for usage and evolution of words, "N-word" , "F-word", "C-word" what is this non-sense, you are not grown up referring to words like that in a discussion about words, you are an overly sensitive idiot.
I can see "your" point with the "-er" being offensive, but you got no point with the "-a", its like some people want to be shackled by words or use them to shackle others, quite ironic considering this word specifically (and nah, Im not not using "-er" because of my color, that's fucking stupid).

Oh, and if you use the word freely you have no right to feel offended when I use it in the same style; I dont care if you are black and Im white; you do, you supposing that my usage is automatically racist while your isnt because we differ in color is dishonest and actually speaks of who the real racist is. Oh I am not allowed to use a word? should I seat in the back of the bus as well, massa?

I would use the words but its not accepted here, even within proper linguistic discussion. Me posting the ice cream for example is a stab at these ridiculous limitations (you see hatred cause you wish to see it)
Do not let yourself be conditioned to a point where a simple word strikes you down. Magic only exists if you wish it

I've heard that in Japan you won't call someone by their first name without honorifics unless you are close to them, or they give you their permission beforehand. (An example was when Trump confused Japan's Prime Minister first/last name, some people argued that it was offensive to keep calling him by his first name)

Knowing that, what would you think if someone said: "Hey, that makes no sense!" and went there calling people by their first name knowing that would piss people off?

--------

Another situation is that you have a girlfriend she calls you a silly name and you like it, there is a story between the two of you and that nickname.

Then someone from work catches a wind of the nickname, and they start calling you by it, some are making fun of you, others just think it fits you, but neither of them sound the same way it does when you GF uses it.

If you asked your friends to stop using that name, would you consider an act of aggression if they kept using it?

It doesn't matter if you wouldn't ask in the first place, what I'm asking is clear. If you made clear that you don't want them using it, and they kept using, is that respect?

--------

What I don't get is people trying to decide what other people should and shouldn't be "sensitive about".

If you spoke without knowing that it would offend them, then they shouldn't take as offense, but if you spoke despite knowing, then asking them to "not be sensitive" is trying to impose yourself on them, you are trying to forcible change other people to something you think is "more logical".

It's not a problem if you argue with them/try to persuade them, on changing their views, if they agree, why not?

It's another thing to think: "I will call you a n***** because I think you shouldn't be offended"

Fuck that, it's not a decision you make on others behalf, specially when you can't relate to their situation.

The worst thing is that most people aren't asking for permission to call themselves n*****, they want the right to call other people n*****.

It's not "I want be called that too" is "I want call you that without your permission too!"
^Im not deciding what you should be sensitive about, you can be sensitive about anything, I dont have to respect that though. Just dont be hypocritical about the word usage.
Oblivious
If sons carry with them the guilt of the crimes of their fathers, and a disproportionate number of African American males are incarcerated for crimes, then maybe this whole guilt trip logic isn't very well thought out.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Disrupted wrote:
^Im not deciding what you should be sensitive about, you can be sensitive about anything, I dont have to respect that though. Just dont be hypocritical about the word usage.

Yes, you don't have to respect, just don't assume that the result of your disrespect will be unwarranted.

Besides, social norms and context matters if you are going to talk about hypocrisy.
"
soneka101 wrote:

Besides, social norms and context matters if you are going to talk about hypocrisy.

Pfff naw, these are Internet forums, on the Internet forums people are shielded by their computer screen and the fact that they can unplug at any time, which allows them to be as grotesquely hateful as possible and thereby deny any claims of hypocrisy
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
"
soneka101 wrote:
"
Disrupted wrote:

Yes, you don't have to respect, just don't assume that the result of your disrespect will be unwarranted.

I dont need to assume that which I already know. and ofc context matters. social norms I'd say it depends, lots of society norms are stupid and I hold no respect for them (with that said, when in rome do as the romans do). man, what did I say about ad populum before?
Also your examples for comparison are terrible and completely different since the japanese dont get offended if you use honorifics for them when they use them all the time and I dont quite think wife/friends is the same as your race/other race, I dont play into tribalism that hard. But some do, Hell, what is the word normally used for those that play hard into racial tribalism, I forget, can someone help me?

"
adghar wrote:
"
soneka101 wrote:

Pfff naw, these are Internet forums, on the Internet forums people are shielded by their computer screen and the fact that they can unplug at any time, which allows them to be as grotesquely hateful as possible and thereby deny any claims of hypocrisy

Hatred in the mind, hatred in the eyes. You wish I were hateful, its more comfortable to dismiss me as such. How am I being hypocritical btw?
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on May 18, 2017, 9:28:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info