Sony servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

The elderly of the forum

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Its the earliest I experienced. I wisely didnt claim they were the absolute origin. One never knows what one doesnt know. I thank you for enriching my knowledge on the topic! :)

Yes, you share that with most people I think. The Japanese were very proficient in the 80s and were responsible for a myriad of classics! However, they were also late to the party and were heavily inspired by both the US and the European games produced earlier. They caught up quickly though, and from the mid 80s and onwards it can be argued that a lot of the milestones in early gaming came from Japan.

As a major retro gamer & historian, I take any opportunity to dig into the old games stuff, hehe. I've been collecting original games since forever, mostly focusing on the old 8-bit computer stuff from the early 80s.
28, if anyone ever wonders. :V This doesn't matter much around here, tho.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Feb 27, 2017, 8:39:33 AM
"
diablofdb wrote:
ohhh old enough to talk about Garfield ok then I have a challenge for you... name 2 other character of Garfield franchise... without googling anything
It's a new day. I now identify as Nermal the kitten. Since he was months old in 1978, I guess that makes me 39 years old somehow.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
vintage: '68
PoE players are old as fuck. I feel like a grandpa while playing Overwatch and talking to kids over the headset but in PoE I almost feel like a teen.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Feb 27, 2017, 12:45:28 PM
"
blubbber wrote:
37 soon... used to be scared of the 30s, then it turned out they were by far the best part of my life... now scared of approaching the 40s, hope I got it wrong again ;)

Don't be scared! 53 here. 40's were great... Just broke off the relationship with my gf and looking forward to shopping around a bit. Also, I have a 72 yr old buddy who builds hotrods and racecars for a living. He's still very fit and active, climbing around and under the cars with no problem. At only 37 you got a ways to go!

As for computer stuff and games, I was lucky that dad was a techie and bought an Apple II when I was in high school. First in our neighborhood! That was a machine that booted off the floppy disk because we didn't have hard drives yet! My high school buddy at the time got a TRS-80 and it booted up from a cassette player, lol. We used to write programs in basic to generate our DnD character sheets and stuff. Those were good times!
"
Xavderion wrote:
PoE players are old as fuck. I feel like a grandpa while playing Overwatch and talking to kids over the headset but in PoE I almost feel like a teen.

You use headsets? So kids yell into your ear to kill yourself and other stupid shit?
"
diablofdb wrote:
"
Ceri wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Edit: not even close, diablo...not. Even. Close. Arpgs go back to the eighties. Nihon falcom created dragon slayer, and later YS, sorcerian and legend of heroes.

Yeah, Diablo missed the boat by 15 years or so. ;)

Arguably, one of the first action RPGs could be Gateway to Apshai (1983, Epyx), an action-oriented spin-off of Epyx's classic Temple of Apshai series (1979-82). I could also agree with someone claiming Telengard (1982, Avalon Hill) was the first real action RPG, at least in style. It was kind of slow, being a Basic game after all, but it featured real-time gameplay and a full RPG system with massive carnage. Nearly all RPGs at the time were turn-based, but Telengard was actually real-time. Impressive. It was way ahead of its time. I'm certain it inspired an army or two of young programmers.

The stuff you mention is the Japanese school which started later, 1984-85 and onwards. :)

oh this is very interesting, I knew most or nearly every RPG were turn based back time. But some action RPG in the 80s? that's great. I'm going to read about that, I LOVE video games history.

btw: at 26 Boem is the baby of the forum :3

Nah, I'm here with a recent 25
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Care so much about my age that I had to double-check, but...
"
GooberM wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

Ha?
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Care so much about my age that I had to double-check, but...
"
GooberM wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:

Ha?

26 = Baby
25 = Foetus still inside your mother belly
24 = You're still inside your father.....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info