The elderly of the forum

"
Coal48 wrote:

To really answer back, I would need to write a few pages essay, it's 3:00AM and I'm still awake (and even if it wasn't too late I wouldn't want to). The only thing I can say now is, whenever someone says "just do it" it's a pointless statement because life doesn't work that way, not for everyone at least

anyways, thanks for the advice

Spoiler
I don't want to be fine (nor be around people as well)

Not interested in pages-long essays anyway. How do you know life doesn't work that way, have you tried? Of course you don't want to be fine or around people, you're depressed. I can tell you life works exactly that way, and I know it from first-hand experience. Not going to push though, if you want to be miserable, that's your life and your choice, so carry on.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
For as long as I can remember I've been considered a grouchy old man trapped in a young man's body. I just seem to have this natural curmudgeonly reaction to people I know. But the other day, I had a slight epiphany. I was out shopping locally and bumped into an old school friend I chat with on fb now and then, but don't see around much at all. I was already in a grim mood, some reason or another, and despite my best intentions I was really standoffish with her. After I got home I realised it's not that I'm a grump or even shy. I'm just really, really shit at being caught unprepared or off guard when something unexpectedly positive happens.

Something similar happened with a random stranger at the train station. He was like, hey brother! And I assumed he meant someone else, but I was the only dude nearby. Then I was like, just keep walking, not your business. But then he said, love your tshirt, fucking great band, saw them live! And I really should have stopped, been more polite, but all I could do was throw him the horns and say fuck yeah...but I didn't stop walking.

I wasn't afraid. I just felt really...off balance at not the unforeseen attention but the fact that a fellow metalhead wanted to connect in a casual way.

This is age-related, because while it's always been my way to mistrust random fortune, now I'm painfully aware of just how guarded I've allowed myself to become as my body starts to physically catch up with the mental and emotional frailty.

And it kinda sucks.

Aw, thx for sharing. You can take a few cookies if you want. <3
@Charan: You're pre-emptively distancing yourself from people because having an emotional connection means you're more vulnerable to them. You are, in a way, right. It makes a certain kind of sense in the short term and on a small scale, say, for one interaction. In the long term and on a large scale, when this is your normal mode of behavior, it guarantees social isolation and all the negative consequences from it. You're shooting yourself in the head to avoid the risk of pricking your finger.

It's the same in the forum. You always have this big fucking wall around you, and it has spikes and traps, and on many occasions you're deliberately unpleasant to people just to make sure no one closes the distance. And then you wonder why many people don't like you and you try to pretend you don't care, but it's obvious you do.

Self-sabotage and self-fulfilling prophecy, mate.

At a guess, you've been emotionally wounded by people close to you in the past, and this made you build the wall.

*disclaimer*

This is yet another instance of me playing the armchair psychologist. Always to be taken with a grain, or a few ounces, of salt.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 1, 2017, 5:24:50 AM
How it happened? Simple, in most people the impulse to avoid pain is stronger than the impulse to seek pleasure. I suppose you are more emotionally vulnerable than most, so over time the strong unpleasant sensations experienced when things go wrong have conditioned you to a certain set of behaviors which has turned into the self-fulfilling prophecy I was talking about.

Also, you're a bit self-contradictory:

"
But I have been used by a lot of so-called friends and so I am definitely more on guard these days. I'm years and years past the peak of friend count, and can count good friends on just over one hand.

"
But it's not as simple as me being hurt in the past thus caught in the hedgehogs dilemma. I make friends very easily to be honest.

About that:

"
I don't do eye contact unless I know someone super well or know their judgement of me won't matter at all. Not sure what that means.

It's the wall. Eye contact goes right through it, so you avoid it. No peeping through the peephole.

"

That said, this is specifically a reaction to good events. I'm completely prepared for bad ones, even though I've been blessed with very few so far.

Yep, because you have a fatalistic worldview. It's like healthy pessimism, what the stoics would recommend, but with an edge. A potentially good thing brought too far.

"
Edit re forums: I've been much deeper in other online communities, and it never went well. I think my attitude and various reactions are really dated now...

I suspect that's partly due to a tendency to vent the worst part of your personality online where you don't really care about the other internet strangers, instead of in real life where it could have more tangible consequences.

I was the same for a long time until I realized it and began trying to manage it with the idea that the worst is to be overcome, not indulged in the privacy and relative anonymity of the internet.
"
Bars wrote:
Not interested in pages-long essays anyway. How do you know life doesn't work that way, have you tried? Of course you don't want to be fine or around people, you're depressed. I can tell you life works exactly that way, and I know it from first-hand experience. Not going to push though, if you want to be miserable, that's your life and your choice, so carry on.

Willpower, mental strength, I'm not sure where those come from but in my case, It really doesn't matter what I think, what I want, If I don't feel like it, I won't be able to do it.

People are like "the material" and life is "the sculptor", some are born made out of marble, life hurts them, chips at them but they don't come out broken, they come out a statue. It's more complicated than that, I know, but try as you may to teach a psychopath about caring for others, it won't happen.

Now I know that this just sounds like an excuse saying I'm weak, but it goes beyond that, those that are busy living are caught in their lives, those that don't live have the time to stand back and look, I started looking a long time ago when I was just a kid and even then I knew, the world disgusted me, and I didn't want to be a part of it.

again, in the end it doesn't matter what I think, just what I feel, I don't feel like doing anything at all, otherwise I would kill myself, anything else is just being a puppet, living creatures are "programmed" for survival, any emotions, any desire, anything you will do will be to survive, and to reject your very purpose, your very being, that, is to truly succeed

Spoiler
DEATH IS WHERE LIFE BELONGS

of all places to write this, I did it on a videogame forum...

(by the way, nice conversation between you and charan)
What's that crap about teaching a psychopath to care for others? I know for a fact psychopaths are unable to feel sadness, grief, depression or really anything bad at all. They feel just fine most of the time. In fact, I can bet they feel, on average, much better than almost everyone else. Their major complaint? They're easily bored. That's it. They're never suicidal or depressive. Go ahead and ask them if they want to magically start caring about others. They'll laugh in your face.

Also, what about everyone else just being a puppet? You think you aren't? Get over yourself. Of course you are. If we assume the universe is deterministic, which is to say, subject to laws and rules, guess what, everyone and everything is a fucking puppet. You're not exempt, buddy. Assuming you have all the information about a certain point in time and know all the laws, you can predict with certainty what's going to happen for all eternity.

Of course, this doesn't matter at all since you can't know even an infinitestimal part of the available information at any point in time. Everyone is a puppet, so what? Cry me a river. You can get all bent out of sorts about it, or sit back and enjoy the ride.

The part about death - we're all going to die anyway, and it's going to happen in practically no time at all, since we can't perceive time. There's no past and future, only an eternal present, and even if you live a hundred years, it'll all feel like the blink of an eye, because our brains are not equipped to process time as a continuity. So don't you worry about death, it's not going anywhere.

Personally, I'm going to do my damn best to enjoy the ride.
Last edited by Bars on Mar 1, 2017, 1:38:36 PM
Charan deliberately being a prick to avoid interaction outside of his echo chamber.....

No way?

Thx for the laugh, but obvious is obvious.

Btw, people are only capable of hurting you if you project the power to them capable of doing so.
Which ultimately boils down to "your worst enemy is yourself".

Projecting bad intentions on others is easy, but also a fine waste of precious time.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
My thoughts on guilt and pride revolve around choice. If I feel guilty about a choice I didn't make, I consider it an error; I take a step back and try to isolate the choice I did make, which may have enabled the other to make their choice. Same with pride. If no such causal link, then such emotions are not justified; it is only your choices that are truly you.

I love putting myself out there to be criticized. I don't like being wrong, and I can feel horrible guilt as far as that goes; there is shame in errors. But there is no shame in the discovery of an error, in finally recognizing it for what it is; the error and the justification for guilt would have existed with or without the knowledge of the error. Such knowledge represents paths for improvement and opportunities for pride. What pride surpasses that of redemption?

To view things the other way around, to view debate as a way to get hurt rather than to spar and improve, is alien to me. Love is criticism; the impassionate refusal to speak up when one sees wrong is cruelty. As such, I've never seen the value in acceptance; at best, it is a failure to dissect a conglomeration so as to separate the good worth admiring from the bad worth shaming. Such analysis is necessary for growth.

Charanjaydemyr, you would benefit from a more competitive mindset. Just Saiyan.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 1, 2017, 4:42:13 PM
"
Bars wrote:

What's that crap about teaching a psychopath to care for others? I know for a fact psychopaths are unable to feel sadness, grief, depression or really anything bad at all. They feel just fine most of the time. In fact, I can bet they feel, on average, much better than almost everyone else. Their major complaint? They're easily bored. That's it. They're never suicidal or depressive. Go ahead and ask them if they want to magically start caring about others. They'll laugh in your face.

That was my point Bars, you can't make them care for others, similarly you can't say to someone to "just do it" or you can't "fix" some people, you can sculpt marble into a statue but not with water (that's a bit of a shitty example since you can freeze water and then sculpt it but you get my point right?)

Also, what about everyone else just being a puppet? You think you aren't? Get over yourself. Of course you are. If we assume the universe is deterministic, which is to say, subject to laws and rules, guess what, everyone and everything is a fucking puppet. You're not exempt, buddy. Assuming you have all the information about a certain point in time and know all the laws, you can predict with certainty what's going to happen for all eternity.

You misunderstood me again, I'm saying I want to fight my own nature, when you do what you're made to do, that's when you're being manipulated by your subconscious so to speak, for example when you hate someone, hate is a emotion that exists to protect you from being killed by killing in return those that are different than you, so that only your kind remains, to try and simplify it even more, I guess I'm saying that following my ambitions is just succumbing to my own nature, if I go pay a prostitute because I'm horny, I'm just a puppet, if I defeat my survival instinct, I will triumph over my purpose

Of course, this doesn't matter at all since you can't know even an infinitesimal part of the available information at any point in time. Everyone is a puppet, so what? Cry me a river. You can get all bent out of sorts about it, or sit back and enjoy the ride.

You don't need purpose or any kind of reason if you're simply happy, you just do whatever you want to do, you enjoy it and you keep going until you can't anymore. However, I've hardly been happy my entire life and again, I'm not saying I want to be happy, I'm just saying I don't wanna be part of the world, not a statement of defeat and sadness but a genuinely chosen path

The part about death - we're all going to die anyway, and it's going to happen in practically no time at all, since we can't perceive time. There's no past and future, only an eternal present, and even if you live a hundred years, it'll all feel like the blink of an eye, because our brains are not equipped to process time as a continuity. So don't you worry about death, it's not going anywhere.

Personally, I'm going to do my damn best to enjoy the ride.

I'm in a hurry, this ride as given motion sickness for a long as I've been in it, problem is I can't get the seatbelt off

Just want to clarify something a bit, I may be antisocial but I sure as hell don't think I'm better than anyone

I'm genuinely impressed I'm not banned yet or that my posts haven't been deleted

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

We have a point in common

I want to always be right, not at all in the sense of always wanting to win an argument, but that if I am wrong, I want someone to correct me and show me what's right

feeling arguments as personal attacks is not a way to evolve

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info