Remove xp loss on death, replace with xp bonuses for surviving

"
PS: Ragequit may not be the right term, but the current iteration of the penalty is clearly driving many players away.

Only away from leveling to 100, I'd say. The penalty while leveling to 90 is quite mild, and up to 80 completely irrelevant.

Leveling to 100 is already a chore, without the penalty, so why do it? 500 - 1000 hours of spaming the same skill? No thanks. I'd rather level 10 chars to 90, than one to 100, even without the penalty. But if you are a proper min-maxer and need your chars at 100, then you should be expected to deal with the penalty.

The current penalty is bad, because it doesn't do it's job well. It is good only in a small window say from 85 to 95, irrelevant before that window and too punishing after. I'd redesign it, make it scale differently, but not remove it.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Feb 18, 2017, 2:01:26 PM
"
morbo wrote:
The current penalty is bad, because it doesn't do it's job well. It is good only in a small window say from 85 to 95, irrelevant before that window and too punishing after. I'd redesign it, make it scale differently, but not remove it.

I'll agree to that.

PS: I'd say 65 to 85.
"
morbo wrote:
"
PS: Ragequit may not be the right term, but the current iteration of the penalty is clearly driving many players away.

Only away from leveling to 100, I'd say. The penalty while leveling to 90 is quite mild, and up to 80 completely irrelevant.

Leveling to 100 is already a chore, without the penalty, so why do it? 500 - 1000 hours of spaming the same skill? No thanks. I'd rather level 10 chars to 90, than one to 100, even without the penalty. But if you are a proper min-maxer and need your chars at 100, then you should be expected to deal with the penalty.

Of course it should be redesigned, but what would make the last 5 levels to 100 fun would be to make players run the end game content instead of just daisy chaining Shaped Strands or Gorges all day long, as Guardians/Shaper/Uber Atziri are fights that should hone your skills as true min-maxing focused player, so a better way would be to boost the experience at >95 that you get from these fights and any tier 15-16 maps, hell make even Uber Lab have monsters at least at level 84 and keep Izaro the same/mildly buff him, by actually giving 3 portals to those fights where you wouldn't be penalised for dying with more than 33% of the gained experience for run...

Those are already currency and time sinks so why not make them also EXP worthwhile at that stage? Keep them the same for characters below 95, but maybe without the additional EXP penalty for characters >90 so every "finished" build could try to run those fights for EXP too...

Oh, and I would still level to 100 in a few years by running Shaped Strands or Gorges if I wanted to just chill and progress 1% each day, but I would enjoy it a lot more if I knew that I could reach up to 5% doing one run of the end game content instead...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Feb 18, 2017, 3:59:32 PM
"
"
Fruz wrote:
And no experience loss on death ? So no matter how many times one would screw up, there would be progress anyway ? ( real question, I don't know that game )

That's kind of the point of this kind of game. If you stop progressing, then the game loses its meaning.

Such an interesting observation, if only people like you would understand that they've already ruined the progression of items and power, all that is left is levels and now you want that handed out for free as well.

Stop dying and you will progress.

ROFL the XP penalty hurts at 65, ROFL.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
ROFL. ROFL.

I know, right?

How about for every death, a character takes an ever increasing XP penalty? Incentivise staying alive.
"
goetzjam wrote:
ROFL the XP penalty hurts at 65, ROFL.

I guess my PS wasn't very clear. I said 65-85 is, in my opinion, the area where the penalty properly does its job.

"
ROFL. ROFL.

I know, right?

How about for every death, a character takes an ever increasing XP penalty? Incentivise staying alive.

I don't think the game would still be alive with such a method.
why wouldn't the game be alive with that method?
"
"
morbo wrote:

I'll agree to that.

PS: I'd say 65 to 85.

That makes a bit more sense already, maybe reviewing slightly the xp curve would satisfy some people of this thread then.

"

That's kind of the point of this kind of game. If you stop progressing, then the game loses its meaning.

The point of PoE isn't to reach level 100, that is only an option that GGG left open for the most dedicated players.
And you don't stop progressing if you don't die.

"

I proposed something like that too, something that reset after some xp gained ( like 30% maybe ), and that starts at a bit lower than 10%.
But people would QQ all the same imho.

PS : @goetzjam, your quotes man !
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 18, 2017, 9:19:01 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
That makes a bit more sense already, maybe reviewing slightly the xp curve would satisfy some people of this thread then.

Probably not. The problem with penalty is that it is a fixed % on every level. The XP loss penalty is linear, but the XP gain penalty is exponential. Which means that dying at high level hurts a lot (regaining the lost XP takes too long) and dying at lower levels is irrelevant.

I'd redesign the penalty % to adapt to the character level. Let's say the penalty starts in "Part 2", say lvl 50, to give newbs breathing space: You loose 20% of your health at lvl 50 and 1% at lvl 99. Smooth the curve inside this interval as appropriate. 20% sounds like a huge penatly, but at lvl 50 you regain that XP very fast.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
It should be at lest opportunity to reclaim at least part of lost exp. By finding body or totem or grave or tombstone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info