Remove xp loss on death, replace with xp bonuses for surviving

XP loss on death is one thing that really bothers me about this game. Why does GGG punish you for something that's sometimes (and more often than it should be) out of your control? There are many insta-death scenarios that happen too quickly for a player to react, and when people argue a player "should" have reacted, they often forget that this has turned into an incredibly fast-paced game with visual indicators that are frequently difficult to see in the chaos on the screen. Exploding corpses and volatile enemies are especially awful (see here). Or people may die from connectivity issues, which we unfortunately have to suffer through in an online-only game.

Now, when one of these ridiculous deaths happens at high levels (early 90s and higher), it's thoroughly demoralizing. People rage quit or lose incentive to play if they don't feel like they're progressing (and rerolling characters, for me personally, is anything but fun -- I've done it so many times -- except maybe at the start of a new league).

So, why not reward softcore players for surviving instead of punishing them for dying? I feel like there would be less resentment and better player retention if there was, instead of the death penalty, an experience multiplier that slowly grew, for example, based on map tiers completed without death. No one likes to feel that their hours have been wasted, and triggering that feeling is about all the death penalty accomplishes. I'm sure GGG would want to make significant balance changes so that reaching 100 doesn't take the ladder climber any less time, but making level 100 seem more achievable to everyone else would probably be a positive direction for the game.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last bumped on Sep 24, 2017, 1:28:35 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
no penalty would make leveling bots much easier.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Tempada wrote:

So, why not reward softcore players for surviving instead of punishing them for dying?

Because that would be a 2017 approach but poe is sort of a stoneage game. ^^
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Didn't even read the post, but thought is interesting to me and for some reason never considered it.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
"
vio wrote:

Huh, I hadn't considered that. Is it a big problem? I don't know much about the topic.

"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Tempada wrote:

So, why not reward softcore players for surviving instead of punishing them for dying?

Right? The idea of a death penalty feels outdated.

"
Crackmonster wrote:
Didn't even read the post, but thought is interesting to me and for some reason never considered it.

I hope GGG does :)
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
100 wont mean anything if it's not hard to get there.

I dont see what the problem is. Go shape strand like the rest of them you will not die. Get ur 100.

I think it's not enough penalty if you die. level should zero out or even lose a level per death. I often dont care about dying way it is now. Especially after 90 and I can chain all my guardians and shapers at zero exp. Seems like cheating not losing anything.

First time I did shaper I should have lost 6 levels cuz I died 6x. Second time 3 levels. well you idea.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Feb 10, 2017, 12:17:10 AM
"
Tempada wrote:
"
vio wrote:

Huh, I hadn't considered that. Is it a big problem? I don't know much about the topic.

"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Tempada wrote:

Right? The idea of a death penalty feels outdated.

Can you honestly think of many games where you weren't penalised for death, even if just in time? Go back to start of level, reload save even - these are actually penalties. The size of the penalty differs, but games with no penalty at all just feel like a fait accomplis: not 'well done for getting to 90, 95, whatever despite adversity' but 'eh, you made another level, who gives a shit, you could just zerg every map for 6 portals anyway'.
We really need 4 modes of play

- Hello Kitty Mode - no penalty for death
- As is now SC
- Medium Core - lose a level per death so you pucker up but not want to throw monitor out window on death
-HC real perma death HC
Git R Dun!
Hint hint, it's not no penalty.

It's penalty on death disguised as bonus when not dying. Effect is same. Psychological effect is not.

But also implies heavy nerf of death penalty.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
I prefer a good bonus than a big nerf

It is for me a good idea for Hc players

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info