Remove xp loss on death, replace with xp bonuses for surviving

lol at punishing death in a game being outdated.

cant believe people are saying it with a straight face.

what's next, failing in a game is outdated ?
If you want to introduce bonus for surviving, then you'd need to nerf base XP gain even more. Leveling past 90 is already boring and pat 95 completely retarded.

There has to be a death penalty. A penalty is not just an inverted reward. It serves a different function: prevents zerging, makes gameplay more thrilling, etc..
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
We really need 4 modes of play

- Hello Kitty Mode - no penalty for death
- As is now SC
- Medium Core - lose a level per death so you pucker up but not want to throw monitor out window on death
-HC real perma death HC

Just to be clear you mean perma deletion no access to character deleted no choice to even fap over the dead character?... Yes it seems like the game needs something like these. Hello kitty mode should have a 50% exp penalty though (scaling by 2% total per level over 70 - yes, you actually give the game xp beyond level 95 - 'softcore' players thank you)
"
morbo wrote:
If you want to introduce bonus for surviving, then you'd need to nerf base XP gain even more. Leveling past 90 is already boring and pat 95 completely retarded.

There has to be a death penalty. A penalty is not just an inverted reward. It serves a different function: prevents zerging, makes gameplay more thrilling, etc..

Yes, GGG would want to nerf xp gain at a certain point in this scenario, but ultimately, if you survive for long periods of time and build the proposed xp bonus, the distance to 100 shouldn't be any longer than it already is.

There doesn't have to be a death penalty in softcore; the type of thrill you're talking about is more for hardcore players. I'd rather be thrilled by drops after killing a difficult boss than sweat from fear of death (outside of maybe worrying about portal loss in a really tough fight).

"
Crackmonster wrote:
Hint hint, it's not no penalty.

It's penalty on death disguised as bonus when not dying. Effect is same. Psychological effect is not.

Yes! You get it. Psychological effect is super important.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
100 wont mean anything if it's not hard to get there.

I dont see what the problem is. Go shape strand like the rest of them you will not die. Get ur 100.

The idea I'm proposing, when properly balanced, shouldn't change GGG's ideal time it takes the best players to reach 100, but it would make it possible for more people to hit that goal with a large time investment. It's not like it wouldn't still be hard to reach 100, and if you want it to be super hard, go play hardcore. Right now, unless you're running white/blue maps all day or playing a powerful ranged build, you're most likely going to die to some stupid things on your way to 100, and each death in the mid to late 90s is a huge setback with a negative psychological impact for most people. It doesn't have to be that way. And it also doesn't have to be as boring as running the same map over and over...

"
grepman wrote:

The reward system IS outdated. It's like having a teacher who whacks you with a ruler when you make a mistake instead of trying to help you understand what you did wrong. And this teacher doesn't give you any input when you do well. Oh, and sometimes you're punished for things that other students did. What a shit teacher this is. The only thing you have to look forward to is the possibility that the cafeteria might serve pizza for lunch.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Feb 10, 2017, 8:52:58 AM
I think if you want 100% carebear mode, you should probably just find a different game rather than ask to make this one worse.
"
I think if you want 100% carebear mode, you should probably just find a different game rather than ask to make this one worse.

Unfort. we are in an age where catering to the masses is more important then catering to a solid hardcore playerbase, as a result we have the current free loot crappy game we see now.

The league might be fun and one of the best ones do date, but the underlying game is plagued with terrible, terrible issues that people are either ignoring because its easier or because they don't care that it takes no effort to do pretty much anything anymore.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
Tempada wrote:
"
morbo wrote:

Yes, GGG would want to nerf xp gain at a certain point in this scenario, but ultimately, if you survive for long periods of time and build the proposed xp bonus, the distance to 100 shouldn't be any longer than it already is.

There doesn't have to be a death penalty in softcore; the type of thrill you're talking about is more for hardcore players. I'd rather be thrilled by drops after killing a difficult boss than sweat from fear of death (outside of maybe worrying about portal loss in a really tough fight).

"
Crackmonster wrote:
Hint hint, it's not no penalty.

It's penalty on death disguised as bonus when not dying. Effect is same. Psychological effect is not.

Yes! You get it. Psychological effect is super important.

"
Aim_Deep wrote:
100 wont mean anything if it's not hard to get there.

I dont see what the problem is. Go shape strand like the rest of them you will not die. Get ur 100.

The idea I'm proposing, when properly balanced, shouldn't change GGG's ideal time it takes the best players to reach 100, but it would make it possible for more people to hit that goal with a large time investment. It's not like it wouldn't still be hard to reach 100, and if you want it to be super hard, go play hardcore. Right now, unless you're running white/blue maps all day or playing a powerful ranged build, you're most likely going to die to some stupid things on your way to 100, and each death in the mid to late 90s is a huge setback with a negative psychological impact for most people. It doesn't have to be that way. And it also doesn't have to be as boring as running the same map over and over...

"
grepman wrote:

The reward system IS outdated. It's like having a teacher who whacks you with a ruler when you make a mistake instead of trying to help you understand what you did wrong. And this teacher doesn't give you any input when you do well. Oh, and sometimes you're punished for things that other students did. What a shit teacher this is. The only thing you have to look forward to is the possibility that the cafeteria might serve pizza for lunch.

Well, the fact that the game isn't balanced, and we actually have only <10 worthy end game fights doesn't make the EXP penalty set at a 10% amount a great option when dealing with hours of playing maps to see the EXP bar move when leveling from 99 to 100.

If they implemented a death penalty that progressed in stages 1% for the first 5 deaths, 5% for the next 5, and 10% for the next 5, with 20% for the last 1 up to 100%, with an option to lose an level and start the same way again, and make it reset every 10%/25% EXP gained on the progress bar would give incentive to try leveling with the "fun/quirky" builds too...

Tie the EXP gained to the end game content (anything post Tier 15) - for those last 5 levels at least and even make the difficult fights give substantial amounts of EXP and you would then have people reach 100 while beating the end game at least...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
I liked this idea a lot, specially beucase, in the end, not dying would possibly increase your XP/hour by a lot, which means the same XP loss at death (maybe even more XP loss THIS WAY than what we currently have) in the long run... but while keeping the "illusion" that we are not actually loosing. 10/10 hahaha Of course this would be some kind of powercreep so counter measures may be needed.

Also how would this work? In D3 there is this XP pool you can pick in areas that grant a XP boost until you get ("consume') X ammount of XP, can be stacked up to 10x. This is too casual imo, but maybe something related to boss kill/level of the map bosses killed, with extra points for stuff like uber lab, uber atziri etc (these ones, could grant a sepparated/extra XP buff for a while, which vanishes with time/death obviously).
Buff life on the right side of the tree! Just a little! Pretty Please!
Last edited by The_Risen on Feb 10, 2017, 1:12:58 PM
"
Tempada wrote:

terrible analogy.

you know what you did well in poe. stop the bullshit. not dying and progressing = you doing well. dying = you doing something wrong. its already extremely dumbed down to the point it expanded to not dying and progressing isnt 'well' anymore, not dying and beating highest content is 'success'.

next, a game isnt a fucking teacher teaching 5 year olds. not only doesnt a game (any game) need to scrupulously teach you (unless its edutainment titles), a hardcore niche game expects some sort of cognitive competence. you aren't studying literature until you learn how to read, yeah ? if you learned how to read at 3 - like I did, for example - then maybe its ok to study literature in first grade. if you cant study literature because you cant read the words, then maybe its time to brush up on reading ?

let me know when you started playing PC games, so I can use you as a a concrete example of how todays gaming base is ruining the few remaining niche games out there.
lol at 'psychological effect'

todays gamers love to be constantly told how great they are. and they cant take failure. and if its failure by RNG, oh my god they are LIVID. but my skillz !

and not only they expect this to happen in all games intended by the masses, but they expect it in hardcore games that are DESIGNED to punish players for making wrong moves.

you know how I learned to swim and how my kids will learn to swim ?

throw them into water. they will learn how to swim, badly at first. without someone telling them what they did wrong or right. your reward is not drowning. and you get to face adversity.

none of that carebear bullshit. fuck tutorials. fuck feelings. come get some.

but let me guess, this is 'outdated'. poor kids feelings. you need to pay instructor for 10 lessons to get your kid to doggy paddle.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info