Donald Trump and US politics

"
ChanBalam wrote:
Trump doubles down on his mis interpretation of the London mayor:

"Pathetic excuse by London Mayor Sadiq Khan who had to think fast on his "no reason to be alarmed" statement. MSM is working hard to sell it!"

Trump is the pathetic one.
I don't see how it's a misinterpretation. To paraphrase: "We are vastly expanding police presence in response to the three terror attacks that occurred here in the past 75 days. No reason to be alarmed." Yes, it's clear that Khan was saying not to be alarmed by the additional police, but unless the additional police presence is unrelated to the London attack, then he's saying not to be alarmed by a tangible effect of a terror attack.

"You will feel an increased dosage today and over the course of the next few days. No reason to be alarmed — one of the things your medicine and all of us need to do is make sure you're as healthy as you possibly can be."

"You will notice increased Human Resources interviews today and over the course of the next few days. No reason to be alarmed — one of the things management and all of us need to do is make sure we're as effective a workforce as we possibly can be."

Let's get real. What Khan really meant was "You have reason to be alarmed, but please don't. Move along, nothing to see here."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 5, 2017, 2:32:37 PM
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Meanwhile, the World Health Organization, that evil pawn of capitalist despoilers of the environment, has released a report on air pollution:

http://gamapserver.who.int/gho/interactive_charts/phe/oap_exposure/atlas.html

Note the worst offenders: Australia, Canada, and, of course, the US, all ranked in the same color band of airborne particulate matter. For shame! ='[.]'=

This is because the very vast majority of the land is inhabited. I'd be curious about the north african and middles east countries, if it's because there's constantly sand in the air or it's something else...

Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
He said there's no reason to be alarmed by the additional police presence. Trump is just quoting out of context to push his own agenda...

Beside, I'd be a lot more worried about the way the US handle mass shooting because you ARE saying "there's no need to be alarmed by them, it's normal". Or at least, it's the message you send because no one is willing to take the first step to have gun control...

But I suppose that since there's islamic terrorist, it's more scary than a homegrown terrorist, because it's easier to put the blame on a "foreigner/foreign religion"...

Edit: as an extra, I find it laughable that the gun crazed people are saying "look, it still happen even without guns, thus guns aren't a bad thing!". Yet, there was 3 persons doing knife stabbing, and only 7 deaths (7 too many still). Imagine the numbers if it had been 3 persons with semi-automatics...
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
Last edited by faerwin on Jun 5, 2017, 2:44:46 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Let's get real. What Khan really meant was "You have reason to be alarmed, but please don't. Move along, nothing to see here."

Except that jihadi terror attacks are supposed to be "part and parcel of living in a big city".

Be alarmed, just don't scream to loudly the next time.

"
faerwin wrote:
Beside, I'd be a lot more worried about the way the US handle mass shooting because you ARE saying "there's no need to be alarmed by them, it's normal". Or at least, it's the message you send because no one is willing to take the first step to have gun control...

That's what Khan said a while back. See above.

Gun control? What about vehicular control and cutting appliances control?!
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jun 5, 2017, 2:48:13 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:

"Pathetic excuse by London Mayor Sadiq Khan who had to think fast on his "no reason to be alarmed" statement. MSM is working hard to sell it!"

I don't see how it's a misinterpretation. To paraphrase: "We are vastly expanding police presence in response to the three terror attacks that occurred here in the past 75 days. No reason to be alarmed." Yes, it's clear that Khan was saying not to be alarmed by the additional police, but unless the additional police presence is unrelated to the London attack, then he's saying not to be alarmed by a tangible effect of a terror attack.

"You will feel an increased dosage today and over the course of the next few days. No reason to be alarmed — one of the things your medicine and all of us need to do is make sure you're as healthy as you possibly can be."

"You will notice increased Human Resources interviews today and over the course of the next few days. No reason to be alarmed — one of the things management and all of us need to do is make sure we're as effective a workforce as we possibly can be."

It's a misinterpretation, because Trump edited the Mayor's message to create a different meaning than was intended. It is no different than paraphrasing your post in a way to change what you said to bolster a reply that tried to make you look bad. If you read what was said originally, it made perfect sense and was not what Trump made it out to be.

You can disagree with what he said, but changing it in order to make the mayor look bad is a pathetic political move. There is no need to paraphrase his remarks and spin it; just quote him in context. Let's get real. How do you know what Khan really meant? Do you have more information beyond what he said? Is he your friend? Do you have friends inside the London government or British press? Are you smarter than the rest of us?

One of Trump's problems is that he will never admit to a mistake. Supporting him when he does stupid stuff like this only makes those supporters look more ideological than thoughtful.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
To say that "No reason to be alarmed" was misrepresented/taken out of context and that it's 100% a Trump fabrication is a mental leap.

Trump's obviously not being fair to Khan, but the "reason for alarm" is increased police... due to terrorist attacks. The cops aren't increasing for no reason; the two are as related as any two things can be.

And again, in the exact same statement, Khan brings up the safety of London as a whole, which means "No reason to be alarmed" talks to both.

Khan's statement is an understatement in the eyes of many, least of all the president of the USA. If you can't see that both interpretations are valid, I don't know what to tell you. Leave your filter bubble?
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:

It's a misinterpretation, because Trump edited the Mayor's message to create a different meaning than was intended. It is no different than paraphrasing your post in a way to change what you said to bolster a reply that tried to make you look bad. If you read what was said originally, it made perfect sense and was not what Trump made it out to be.

You can disagree with what he said, but changing it in order to make the mayor look bad is a pathetic political move. There is no need to paraphrase his remarks and spin it; just quote him in context. Let's get real. How do you know what Khan really meant? Do you have more information beyond what he said? Is he your friend? Do you have friends inside the London government or British press? Are you smarter than the rest of us?

One of Trump's problems is that he will never admit to a mistake. Supporting him when he does stupid stuff like this only makes those supporters look more ideological than thoughtful.
Trump didn't change anything. He only quoted the "no reason to be alarmed" part... in a Tweet. Nothing unfair about that.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
Trump didn't change anything.

You are correct, Trump didn't change anything, the US are the same harbinger of terror in the middle east.

See how easy it is to quote out of context?
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The biggest virtue is to be anti-Trump on every single issue. Trump is always wrong and fuck, Trump supports motherfucking ISIS.
Thanks for coming clean and relaying your true feelings on our President.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
I could end terrorism tomorrow. Stop all social welfare. need to be of service to even eat. and old ppl need to produce good children to eat. changes ppls attitude quick..sure youd have some dead enders but once that gone would be paradise

an idle mind is devils playground
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 5, 2017, 8:55:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info