"Life sucks" =! "Please nerf ES"

"
MeWhenum wrote:
... yet ES got some major nerfs in the form of energy from within/soulstrike/stasis map mod.

major nerfs.... #priceless
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
MeWhenum wrote:
... yet ES got some major nerfs in the form of energy from within/soulstrike/stasis map mod.

It is interesting to me that people are tripped up over my choice of words and don't seem to be interested in the substance of the post. Perhaps you don't have anything intellligent to add?

If it makes people feel better I will edit the op to be less absolute.
"
MeWhenum wrote:
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
MeWhenum wrote:

It is interesting to me that people are tripped up over my choice of words and don't seem to be interested in the substance of the post. Perhaps you don't have anything intellligent to add?

If it makes people feel better I will edit the op to be less absolute.

Well the soulstrike nerf is massive to people that used it.
Yes, the ES recharge was a huge nerf to the Occultist bow builds. Almost by half. They were widely popular in EHC and I saw all types of variations, so I assume they worked pretty well.

I also assume the OP hasn't played a build like that, so he deems the nerf unimportant.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Nov 30, 2016, 9:53:16 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Yes, the ES recharge was a huge nerf to the Occultist bow builds. Almost by half. They were widely popular in EHC and I saw all types of variations, so I assume they worked pretty well.

I also assume the OP hasn't played a build like that, so he deems the nerf unimportant.

No no, the opposite. I recognized how bad that nerf is for bow casters, and I mentioned that earlier. People in the thread were whining about my use of the word "major" to describe the nerf, so I edited it out to remove one semantic hurdle that some people seem incapable of vaulting.

My biggest issue is the lack of life buffs like I said, but people shouldn't underestimate the soul strike nerf either.
Apologies then, I admit I didn't read the entire thread carefully. About the rest - I have a feeling GGG are treating life builds as more accessible and budget-based early league openers (for the most part) and ES as the most common answer to endgame.

If this is not true, I don't have a good explanation of the current state of game balance.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
MeWhenum wrote:
Okay, so unless I am misreading something, life did not get buffed *at all* as far as I could see, yet ES got some nerfs in the form of energy from within/soulstrike/stasis map mod.

Uh...what?

Even with crazy ES you can still get one shot by random stuff. Über Izao for example has what...base 6K physical damage or something? Even stuff like magaera is dangerous to even defensively geared players. I honestly felt like ES was/is just about how strong defenses ought to be to be useful but not overpowered. Life on the other hand always feels really squishy to play. The solution is to nerf CI and ignore life based? Seriously? I really don't understand this. I feel like GGG just went and watched a video of someone using a super cheesy optimal 2000 exalt build then concluded based on that that ES was OP and everything else is balanced and fine.

Does anybody else feel like this is the total wrong solution to the ES/life discrepancy? Last I checked if you have one functional thing and one garbage thing, you buff the garbage thing, not nerf the functional thing. Life is simply not cutting it and needs help.

Couple of points, I think your overall point is totally correct life sucking doesn't = nerf ES btw before i say anything else just that some of your logic here is off.

Izaro can hit for ~6k, however any phys hit has to be survived by an evade character so you'll never see a physical attack do that much more unless it was 100% designed to be physically dodged by the player, this effectively pushes ES because a sponge is safer than occasional one-shot especially as huge hits from bosses have significant cooldown between them.

energy from within is literally a 6% ES drop but from 300% it really isn't that much of an issue. Soulstrike got a much more significant nerf but having recharge that started 0.5s after taking damage and couldn't be interrupted (occultists with soul strike) was pretty overpowered. Like imagine if you had a 10k life pool and after not taking damage for 0.5s you got 2k/s regen until full, that is what soul strike did, then people pretend that no lifepots is a hindrance when you can replace them with a variety of absolutely enormous buffs :p

Lastly buff/nerf mentality entirely depends what the contents values are based around, power creep is a nemesis that must continually be kept in check and buffing plays into that, nerfs are always safest. However the content currently (T15/16's, corrupted mods, shaper etc) all points towards life being low not ES being high, as at least ES can clear the content.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Nov 30, 2016, 11:05:50 AM
im trying to understand, heres a complain how weak ES is? but im pretty sure i readed last day how OP ES is and even a video shows how easy it was as en ES build.

Random poo poo gear i had laying around still, threw it on my 87 witch. Had nearly 12k es as CI with no effort at all. Meanwhile ill struggle to get 6k~ on a life build with incredible rares. lul "balance".
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
marremurt wrote:
im trying to understand, heres a complain how weak ES is? but im pretty sure i readed last day how OP ES is and even a video shows how easy it was as en ES build.
ES has always been the best.

Low Life ES > CI > Life

It hasnt changed in years, the whole "life is OP" thing a while back was retarded and a sham by people who dont know how Energy Shield worked.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info