Essence As a Core Game Mechanic

"
Sarno wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
As the overall benefits were positive, we wanted to keep the Essence items in Path of Exile, though at a lower frequency. The occurrence of Essences will be around one sixth of what it was.

I've been thinking a lot about Essence League, and while I enjoyed it I'm surprised you've made the decision to bake it into Standard. I'm not sure it'll work well as a permanent addition to the game.

Most Essences you find will be irrelevant to your build, and most relevant Essences won't roll a good enough item. I'm concerned that they might be rare enough that the swing and a miss of an irrelevant / poorly rolling Essence will add more frustration or disappointment than anything.

I'm definitely glad to hear that the massive amount of lowbie Essences is being dealt with so we don't feel most Essences we see are 'wasted'. That'll help the system feel more rewarding.

As for whether Path of Exile really needs another way of acquiring very powerful items permanently added to the game, that's probably a story for another thread - I do think it's a conversation worth having.

It's important to note that it's not just being baked into Standard, it's being baked into all future temp leagues as well. The lower tier Essences will probably just be ignored in Standard, but they will find a use in the temp leagues. This is the same as with many other temp league additions to the core game - once you're OP you can probably just ignore them as an issue, but in temp leagues that Nemesis monster might be a real threat, that Tormented Spirit might represent a sizable opportunity or that Prophecy may be a fun experience (and reward). Ditto with Essence.
Last edited by Exile009 on Nov 21, 2016, 10:37:16 PM
I rather liked the multitude of essence mob fights. Guaranteed rare monster which should translate to better experience gain. OTOH, I'm sort of a casual player and I have amassed a ridiculous stockpile of essences in ~150 hrs of Essence League gameplay, so I guess it would be the right move...

One-quarter or one-fifth of frequency might be a better compromise for those of us who enjoyed the benefits of essence mobs. EIther way, glad to hear they're here to stay.
Sounds good to me. Buff melee.
"
heyfunny wrote:
Also will Perandus Coins ever be added to the currency tab?

Perandus isn't part of the core game. So the answer is no.
decay damage was fine, even with low life the damage of ED still led to slow guardians/shaper fights (though safe and reliable), and caustic just clears map faster than ED because of no combo + profane bloom.

another unwarranted nerf that does little more than kill build diversity. it was nowhere near the blade vortex retardness. next to nobody was playing ED before the decay boost.
why global nerf decay when you make legacy the rest? GGG...

you should have nerf Blade vortex instead and blade flurry.
24.1.2018 [quote="Dro28"]wheres my fragment tab?[/quote]

(I thought that was a joke)

25.1.2018: GGG- Introducing the Fragment Stash Tab!
Last edited by unlucky_child on Nov 21, 2016, 10:57:06 PM
Any chance that the essences getting an extra free tab or are added to the currency tab? It seems that they already take a whole page just for themselves.
"
Qarl wrote:

The Essence crafting items are designed to give players some more control in crafting. They also are balanced to encourage early use by players. During the league, both newer and experienced players used essences extensively. Newer players especially used essences early, which taught them to use other currencies where previously they might have been reluctant.

Well if you want to give more control to the player when it comes to crafting, any chances that the existing Master mods will get expanded?

I mean I once had some great leveling gear that has been made pretty much redundant with all the overpowered prophecy uniques.

For example these rares are actually one of the best you can get around lvl 40:
Spoiler

I'd like to have the opportunity to add some top unique mods on them, making these much better alternatives than the current uniques. To get back to the essence of essence league: "Making rares great again."

Thank you.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
Lord_of_Error wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:

"For all but the Decay effect, old values on existing items will be stay the same. Using a Divine Orb will reroll them to the new values."

I think the question was wether or not we get legacy essences, e.g. will a Deafening Essence of Woe that dropped before the patch still roll in its old value range after patch.

If we don't get another answer in here: I'm pretty sure there won't be legacy essences. They are essentialy a type of currency with fixed properties. GGG can update these things without having to mess with the item database, which should mean everything gets updated.

I'd still like a clarification here. Qarl's quote is ambiguous there. "Values on existing items" could mean the essences themselves too as they are items, but it might also just mean crafted gear.
1/6 spawn rate is too damn rare.
Good decision to nerf decay and insanity gloves, honestly you should nerf both heavily.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info