Essence As a Core Game Mechanic

Why exactly does Decay need to be less strong though?
1000 damage isn't that much at all.
Sure, you can make it more powerful, but that doesn't make it come anywhere near most other builds their DPS.
With skill gems, jewels and nodes you can increase it to maybe 8000 damage/second, that's still nowhere near other builds their DPS.
Last edited by Tormented_Spirit on Nov 29, 2016, 7:37:42 AM
"
leto2626 wrote:

This being said, I like the way essences will be implemented, but changes to those rare special essences raise my eyebrows. I have played a TON this league, and I have managed to get 4 or 5 special essences while corrupting (I used all the corrupted essence I found myself, must be close to 80-90?). Even in the last week of the league there are people that didn't get the challenge done by themselves because they are so rare. Tthe corrupted essences will be extremely rare, which makes us corrupt less (yes this is a multiplier :p) The chance one of the special ones appear when corrupted will be so rare the average player won't see one in 3 months. So my question is why bother changing them? No one except a microscopic few will be rolling an item with them if their value will be exalts each.

Well, I will disagree with you here. How often do you find an Exalt? Crafting an item can require quite a few of those, depending on the method and the results you want... That means they should just remove Exalts from the game, or make them ridiculously common? I doubt the essences will reach the value of few exalts, but the corrupted ones will be very expensive, and that is not a bad thing. The fact that many players won't be using them is not really a good reason not to have them, just tell me how many players get a Shavs in a league, or even worst, how many players will get to mirror an item or wear a Headhunter in their lifetime?

Keeping the essences in the game sounds perfectly fine, and the adjustment to the appearance rate seems fair, as this is no longer Essence league...

"
rrurrer03 wrote:
GGG obviously says to community - 'Buy more dat f#cking stash tabs or go to hell, coz we making money here, my little kids. Muhaha' ))

Wouldn't it be awesome if they implemented an Essence stash tab, similar to the Currency one, to keep your Essences? So much cash to grab there (like mine)...
Last edited by KoHElfs on Nov 29, 2016, 8:42:32 AM
i don't understand why you chose the way to make lower level essences more rare instead of restricting their use to lower itemlevel items.

the only upside is lower level players being able to trade them to those who are able to convert them to chaos orbs.

as it is they more or less replace alchemy orbs.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Tortillaboy wrote:
"
Jackalex36 wrote:

We have to use all our essence of woe and insanity now???? or not?

Still needs answering

"For all but the Decay effect, old values on existing items will be stay the same. Using a Divine Orb will reroll them to the new values."

I don't know if Qarl will see this but it needs to be said. This was a dick way of answering a question that many, many players had. If players thought the patch notes were clear they wouldn't be asking for clarification. Simply copy/pasting exactly what everyone already read as an "answer" was childishly unprofessional (and did more harm than good, because psychologically you're reinforcing "for all but the decay effect", lulling players into a false sense of security that their woes would be fine).

Would it have been so hard to say essences are classified as a currency, not an item? Or be more explicit? My impression in retrospect is that you were deliberately trying to mislead people and have no regard for the time investment casual players make to accrue wealth in one of the most grindy ARPGs ever. I leveled two characters to 93 and 91 in essence and was able to make one, just one, deafening essence of woe, which is now worthless because I didn't use it before the patch.

And really, other members of the GGG team should have clarified this answer more appropriately after Qarl's unhelpfulness. This is the kind of thing that makes customers think you don't care.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Vhlad wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:
"
Tortillaboy wrote:

Still needs answering

"For all but the Decay effect, old values on existing items will be stay the same. Using a Divine Orb will reroll them to the new values."

I don't know if Qarl will see this but it needs to be said. This was a dick way of answering a question that many, many players had. If players thought the patch notes were clear they wouldn't be asking for clarification. Simply copy/pasting exactly what everyone already read as an "answer" was childishly unprofessional (and did more harm than good, because psychologically you're reinforcing "for all but the decay effect", lulling players into a false sense of security that their woes would be fine).

Would it have been so hard to say essences are classified as a currency, not an item? Or be more explicit? My impression in retrospect is that you were deliberately trying to mislead people and have no regard for the time investment casual players make to accrue wealth in one of the most grindy ARPGs ever. I leveled two characters to 93 and 91 in essence and was able to make one, just one, deafening essence of woe, which is now worthless because I didn't use it before the patch.

And really, other members of the GGG team should have clarified this answer more appropriately after Qarl's unhelpfulness. This is the kind of thing that makes customers think you don't care.

Thanks for posting this, Vhlad. I wanted to say something similar about that response (that it wasn't a clarification at all), but never got around to it.

A good rule of thumb is, if you want to use sarcasm to belittle someone for asking a question, don't.
Wash your hands, Exile!
The essences are too rare guys, they are almost not noticeable (before maps).
is it only me? ive been playing poe somewhat more frequently the past week (standard) and my essence /map ratio is ridicliosly low. Ive found 4 essences in >60 maps

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info