[2.6] Flash Freeze Ice Shot Ranger

I'm going to take this one on in sections because its such a large post.

"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
Hey Xenovenom~

First off, thanks for reviving this build and bringing it to the modern era. My cousin played it back in the day and now I'm enjoying playing it... with that same cousin as a duo :D

I started out as a LA/BR but made the full switch to the flash freeze build after spending like ~6 regrets.

I just bought myself a decent Slivertongue on breach SC (284pds and 49% crit) for a good price and looking forward to rocking it.

I'm glad I can bring the same joy I had when I played this build for you both and thanks for taking the time to post how much you two like it.

"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
I changed up the links a bit and just wondering some things about links in general.

I run the full CWDT 4L, but i've changed my other 4l's

Boots 4L (BBGG):
Split Arrow, Chain, Curse on Hit, Assassin's Mark

*I find this combo to far more consistently keep up power charges than herald of ice. I just don't like how infrequently herald of ice works (even when I'm solo).

Gloves 4 socket (no links necessary) (GGGR):
Blink Arrow, Hatred, Vaal Haste, Herald of Ash

Vaal haste offers up some big time damage increase in a burst moment.
Herald of Ash increases my raw DPS be ~10%.

This changes a lot about how the build works and adds a third skill to the mix that you have to use before you can attack with a powerful one. Not bad in all situations but dangerous in Breach since you can find yourself without power charges or getting overwhelmed while you try to apply the curses. I don't find it a problem to gain charges with the Herald applying the curse so I am interested in how its having problems.

Assuming you had the normal links you do have an open slot for Vaal Haste which I agree is a great option. The swap of the Herald will give you more damage but you will lose the quality bonus for cold damage for Ice Shot which can hurt.

"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
My big questions are in regards to links on the attacks (Ice shot & Blast Rain)

Are these really the ideal links? Faster attacks just seems like a lowish impact (In my current setup, Projectile damage instead of faster attacks provides nearly a 10% damage increase, equal level gems)... and is added cold damage where we want to be? I've never seen that gem used elsewhere and it seems like a pretty low impact gem given it's flat damage application. (Added fire might outdamage it?) ... maybe there's things I'm missing the concept of, so if that's true feel free to fill me in on the secret :)

But overall, thanks for sharing this build and I'm loving it so far!

Now that I got slivertongue, time to save up for a Kintsugi or 5l queen of forest (any opinion of which might be better? .. Kintsugi seems really solid for pure EVA characters) and better jewelry+quiver :)

I'll start at the bottom here, I love the Kintsugi, for this build it is definitely an option if you could get one. For Added Cold, it has a great quality bonus just like Herald of Ice that gives cold damage a boost, also only cold damage can inflict freeze and if you dont crit but you have high damage you can still freeze enemies. Faster attacks is great for shelling out arrows to make sure your crit chance is maximized.
Greatly appreciate the reply!

I will try out hearald of ice once more, one of the issues may have been that I wasn't in maps yet, so the mob density wasn't exactly at peak possibility. (Due to waiting for my cousin to login, I was level 78 before i even finished merciless lol, farming docks and dry lake too much for some scraps of currency xD)

My cousin is a tri-curse witch (chains, enfeeble, assassin mark), so even with herald proccing less in multiplayer environment it should be covered by his casting of assassin's mark as well (i hope).

Something i've seen on guides before you could consider adding to OP is "what gems you should quality first", I had no idea of the quality aspects of Herald of ice or added cold damage and that definitely changes my opinion on them :)

I think I might try a different path with the Ice shot links though, I'm just not certain faster attacks/added cold is the way I want to go.

I'm thinking something like:
Ice Shot, GMP, Fork (Slivertongue), Weapon Elemental Damage, Inc. Critical Strikes for 5L (I don't think I'll ever get a 6L, so just planning for 5)

This 5L loadout is basically taken from my former lightning arrow build which seeks to do overall the same thing as an Ice Shot build due to the similarities in the skills.

At 20/20 gem I'd be trading:
64% attack speed + 125~188 cold damage + 10% cold damage

for

69% weapon elemental damage + 1.9% base crit increase (which works great with all our crit boosting nodes) + 108% critical chance
Last edited by Bloodytrailz on Dec 11, 2016, 2:03:24 AM
I am level 41 at the moment...Whats some good leveling items for this build?

Also please make a section about leveling guide :)

Thanks, Looking forward for more detailed guide! :D
Last edited by Balantakos on Dec 11, 2016, 2:21:46 AM
"
Balantakos wrote:

Get a death's harp bow (lvl 32), 4 link if possible (1-2 chaos)

At level 62, get a chin sol (1-2 chaos for 4L)

As for items, just try and keep whatever gives you life &^ resists while leveling equipped. Things with bonus Int + Str will help to keep leveling your gems.
"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
Greatly appreciate the reply!

I will try out hearald of ice once more, one of the issues may have been that I wasn't in maps yet, so the mob density wasn't exactly at peak possibility. (Due to waiting for my cousin to login, I was level 78 before i even finished merciless lol, farming docks and dry lake too much for some scraps of currency xD)

My cousin is a tri-curse witch (chains, enfeeble, assassin mark), so even with herald proccing less in multiplayer environment it should be covered by his casting of assassin's mark as well (i hope).

Something i've seen on guides before you could consider adding to OP is "what gems you should quality first", I had no idea of the quality aspects of Herald of ice or added cold damage and that definitely changes my opinion on them :)

I was planning on updating the guide to include more detail but I've hesitated because I know even with a full guide everyone has their own playstyle and ways to do things. I will consider adding a section about gem quality, why I took certain gems and more details overall.

"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
I think I might try a different path with the Ice shot links though, I'm just not certain faster attacks/added cold is the way I want to go.

I'm thinking something like:
Ice Shot, GMP, Fork (Slivertongue), Weapon Elemental Damage, Inc. Critical Strikes for 5L (I don't think I'll ever get a 6L, so just planning for 5)

This 5L loadout is basically taken from my former lightning arrow build which seeks to do overall the same thing as an Ice Shot build due to the similarities in the skills.

At 20/20 gem I'd be trading:
64% attack speed + 125~188 cold damage + 10% cold damage

for

69% weapon elemental damage + 1.9% base crit increase (which works great with all our crit boosting nodes) + 108% critical chance

When you feel like you are satisfied with the changes let me know how it worked out, I'm interested in how these will play out.
"
Bloodytrailz wrote:
"
Balantakos wrote:

Get a death's harp bow (lvl 32), 4 link if possible (1-2 chaos)

At level 62, get a chin sol (1-2 chaos for 4L)

As for items, just try and keep whatever gives you life &^ resists while leveling equipped. Things with bonus Int + Str will help to keep leveling your gems.

I will agree with Bloodytrailz for gear choices. Since prophecy was added upgrading the Death's Harp to Death's Opus is an easy way to prolong it's power through the game. As far as a leveling guide, as I said in my reply to Bloodytrailz everyone seems to have their own playstyle but I do plan to add something soon but I can't say a specific date because I don't know when I will get around to doing it yet.
Currently level 50 and LOVING this build but I have one issue for the future..

Won't I get to a point where I will just 1 shot myself?

Anyway to get past reflect? Any uniques or anything? Don't mind losing damage for survivability especially in HC

Thanks!
"
FrakGaming wrote:
Currently level 50 and LOVING this build but I have one issue for the future..

Won't I get to a point where I will just 1 shot myself?

Anyway to get past reflect? Any uniques or anything? Don't mind losing damage for survivability especially in HC

Thanks!

I don't believe I've ever been able to one shot myself outside an elemental reflect map but reflect rares will hurt if you focus them with Blast Rain. Aside from using flasks, getting more life, and taking your shots in moderation to slow the reflected damage, the only way I know of to reduce the reflected damage is using the unique ring Sibyl's Lament.
"
Balantakos wrote:

Thanks!

how can i link my char to see the gear i have now?

And tell me what it needs change...

Thanks!
"
Balantakos wrote:
"
Balantakos wrote:

Thanks!

how can i link my char to see the gear i have now?

And tell me what it needs change...

Thanks!

Im not sure, but I have noticed a few people have started messaging in game for quick questions when they don't want to wait for me to answer on the forums.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info