[2.6] Flash Freeze Ice Shot Ranger

"
anicholaf wrote:
I just want to reply very quickly. Elemental penetration and Hypothermia will add more damage than faster attacks and added cold.

Cold penetration would only work on enemies with resistance where most enemies will have little to none of any resists. Those that do are usually rare or unique and those should be fought with Blast Rain. I doubt you will see much damage increase from there. Hypothermia only increases damage on chilled enemies which means your first shot wont benefit at all and if they survive then you will get an increase.

Faster Attacks will give you a better dps increase even though its not a damage increase and Added Cold Damage gives you cold damage then quality gives you a percentage increase in cold damage. I have been looking at options to swap Added Cold out for though but it takes time to level gems and I don't have this build up for breach league yet.

"
Glissando wrote:
How would that change the build though?

also,there's a really cool new amulet.

second from left to right on the second row.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1782690

Also,what about doryani's invitation as a belt?

I saw The Pandemonius and I like the cold penetration from that source but I have not gotten my hands on one yet and as I noted above I haven't gotten my Ranger up yet but I do like it. I also Have a Voice of the Storm and I'm intrigued by the critical increase of uncapped lightning resist and even though Choir of the Storm has a mod the build wont use it does upgrade the Lightning Bolt on crit and that may be worth it too.

I like the physical version of the Doryani's Invitation as a cheap and quick way to get a belt that works, but the life you can get a on a rare belt is very important because this is an Evasion based build. I would get one just to hold me over until I could buy or craft a better one.
Wich extra support gem will you put on a 6L ?
"
Sloompy wrote:
Wich extra support gem will you put on a 6L ?

For Ice Shot, Increased Crit strikes or damage depending on your chance to crit or Ice Bite or Physical Projectile damage. For Blast Rain Fire Penetration or Physical Projectile damage since you will only be using it on tough enemies.
"
3 link
- Herald of Ice
- Curse on Hit
- Assassins Mark

Could anyone explain to me how this link works? Thanks in advance.
Step 1 use ice shot
Step 2 Hreald of ice goes k-boom
Step 3 Herald of ice curses the mobs that it touched when it went k-boom
Step 4 Kill mobs that got cursed
Step 5 Get power charges
Step 6 PewPew.
"
armisael01 wrote:
"
3 link
- Herald of Ice
- Curse on Hit
- Assassins Mark

Could anyone explain to me how this link works? Thanks in advance.

"
Glissando wrote:
Step 1 use ice shot
Step 2 Hreald of ice goes k-boom
Step 3 Herald of ice curses the mobs that it touched when it went k-boom
Step 4 Kill mobs that got cursed
Step 5 Get power charges
Step 6 PewPew.

Technically Glissando is correct. They way it works is you shoot and enemy and freeze them, then when you kill them they shatter and it causes the Herald to shoot ice fragments in all directions of that enemy. Any enemy hit by these fragments are cursed with Assassin's Mark. Then any enemy you kill while affected by the curse give you a chance to gain Power charges.
Thanks so much. I appreciate it!
I am enjoying this build for the most part this league. I just got a chin sol and my DPS is very good right now but i really am starting to hate being pure EVA, getting one shotted too much. I have started to shift this build over to a EVA/ES hybrid. I'm giving up some crit nodes to grab some ES ones and i'm thinking of picking up a carcass jack instead of the queen of the forest. Anyone gone this way before?
Hey Xenovenom~

First off, thanks for reviving this build and bringing it to the modern era. My cousin played it back in the day and now I'm enjoying playing it... with that same cousin as a duo :D

I started out as a LA/BR but made the full switch to the flash freeze build after spending like ~6 regrets.

I just bought myself a decent Slivertongue on breach SC (284pds and 49% crit) for a good price and looking forward to rocking it.

I changed up the links a bit and just wondering some things about links in general.

I run the full CWDT 4L, but i've changed my other 4l's

Boots 4L (BBGG):
Split Arrow, Chain, Curse on Hit, Assassin's Mark

*I find this combo to far more consistently keep up power charges than herald of ice. I jus't don't like how infrequently herald of ice works (even when I'm solo).

Gloves 4 socket (no links necessary) (GGGR):
Blink Arrow, Hatred, Vaal Haste, Herald of Ash

Vaal haste offers up some big time damage increase in a burst moment.
Herald of Ash increases my raw DPS be ~10%.

My big questions are in regards to links on the attacks (Ice shot & Blast Rain)

Are these really the ideal links? Faster attacks just seems like a lowish impact (In my current setup, Projectile damage instead of faster attacks provides nearly a 10% damage increase, equal level gems)... and is added cold damage where we want to be? I've never seen that gem used elsewhere and it seems like a pretty low impact gem given it's flat damage application. (Added fire might outdamage it?) ... maybe there's things I'm missing the concept of, so if that's true feel free to fill me in on the secret :)

But overall, thanks for sharing this build and I'm loving it so far!

Now that I got slivertongue, time to save up for a Kintsugi or 5l queen of forest (any opinion of which might be better? .. Kintsugi seems really solid for pure EVA characters) and better jewelry+quiver :)
"
geosojda wrote:
I am enjoying this build for the most part this league. I just got a chin sol and my DPS is very good right now but i really am starting to hate being pure EVA, getting one shotted too much. I have started to shift this build over to a EVA/ES hybrid. I'm giving up some crit nodes to grab some ES ones and i'm thinking of picking up a carcass jack instead of the queen of the forest. Anyone gone this way before?

This is kind of hard to say because it will require you to either explain how you take action in every situation or for me to play with you and see it. I agree that pure Evasion builds can get one shot in some instances but it feels like something can be fixed or changed other than changing your gear to another tank type.

The easy part to say is you don't want to give up crit for anything, this build is built around crit to freeze enemies so they can't do anything while you continue to hammer them. As far as the chest piece, if you really wanted to swap to Eva/ES then that is a good chest because both attack gems have the AoE tag so it would benefit them both, but I think you would be better off getting rare gear with high life rolls to help with the one shot problem.
Last edited by Xenovenom on Dec 11, 2016, 12:42:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info