The Brass Dome Question on Crit Damage.

Hi, I was a bit confused by the tool tip on The Brass Dome Gladiator Plate. I was wondering if anyone could clarify it for me.

The description says: "Take no extra damage from critical strikes"

Does this mean you still take the full damage of a critical strike, but not the critical multiplier? If that is so, it greatly reduces the usefulness of the plate. Many people are under the impression that if you eat a critical strike, you take no damage from it while wearing this armor, in this case, they believe you take no "extra" damage when crit as if being crit immune.

I just wanted to know if someone could clear this up for me since the linguistics of POE speak can sometimes be confusing. Thanks!
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2017, 4:15:18 PM
"
Skullcamp wrote:
Many people are under the impression that if you eat a critical strike, you take no damage from it while wearing this armor

Now that would be completely and utterly broken and that shock duration penalty would be meaningless because you'd never get shocked (except when cursed by conductivity).
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
If you get hit with a critical, then you take damage as if it were not a crit (ie. it invalidates the multi of incoming crits). If it was the way you want it to be it would say "Take no damage from critical strikes" not "Take no extra damage from critical strikes".
U MAD?
You take the normal damage, as if the hit hadn't crit. Brass Dome does indeed nullify the crit multiplier of a critical hit, but you still take the regular non-crit damage.

Which, considering Brass Dome gives you ALL THE ARMORZ, would be mitigated quite a bit. Note also that Brass Dome doesn't specify "take no extra damage from PHYSICAL crits" - it eliminates crit-multi damage from elemental crits and spell crits as well, or at least is worded that way. Which makes it a lot more valuable than a lot of folks would figure as a mitigation tool, at least to some extent.
There is pretty much no way you can interpret 'extra' to mean all of the damage. It is pretty obvious it means the extra damage that you take more than you would normally. Otherwise, what is it 'extra' of?
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
There is pretty much no way you can interpret 'extra' to mean all of the damage. It is pretty obvious it means the extra damage that you take more than you would normally. Otherwise, what is it 'extra' of?

People who aren't native speakers of English? Shrugs.

EDIT: Another conjecture. Perhaps people who aren't well versed in PoE mechanics think that critical strikes somehow deal an ascended form of damage, i.e. non critical strikes would deal "normal damage" and critical strikes deal "extra (special) damage." Kind of as though critical strikes were a special skill of the monster that doesn't deal normal damage and only triggers occasionally.

Hindsight is 20/20. Having nerded out about this game as much as I have, reading "extra" in any other way just sounds ridiculous to me. But beginners may not even have the most basic concepts of damage, I guess.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Oct 19, 2016, 3:37:31 PM
"
Skullcamp wrote:
Hi, I was a bit confused by the tool tip on The Brass Dome Gladiator Plate. I was wondering if anyone could clarify it for me.

The description says: "Take no extra damage from critical strikes"

Does this mean you still take the full damage of a critical strike, but not the critical multiplier? If that is so, it greatly reduces the usefulness of the plate. Many people are under the impression that if you eat a critical strike, you take no damage from it while wearing this armor, in this case, they believe you take no "extra" damage when crit as if being crit immune.

I just wanted to know if someone could clear this up for me since the linguistics of POE speak can sometimes be confusing. Thanks!

How do it "greatly reduce the effectiveness of the plate"?

Enemy critical strike multiplier has no effect. That's a BIG FUCKING DEAL.
i need to ask the experts on this

"
CriticalStrikeDamage = Damage * (BaseCriticalStrikeMultiplier + AdditionalCriticalStrikeMultiplier)

which one of this is nullified by the brass dome's "Take no extra damage from critical strikes"?

the

BaseCriticalStrikeMultiplier + AdditionalCriticalStrikeMultiplier

or just the

AdditionalCriticalStrikeMultiplier

the one i posted above is the Critical Strike Damage calculation taken from the wiki
Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. thinking: "This time is gonna be different. No, no, no please... This time is gonna be different."

-Path of Exile
Last edited by xrook on Oct 19, 2016, 10:32:03 PM
"
xrook wrote:

"
CriticalStrikeDamage = Damage * (BaseCriticalStrikeMultiplier + AdditionalCriticalStrikeMultiplier)

which one of this is nullified by the brass dome's "Take no extra damage from critical strikes"?

the

or just the

the one i posted above is the Critical Strike Damage calculation taken from the wiki

The wiki is made by players, hence "Community Wiki" or "Unofficial Wiki," so the formulas don't always match the game code.

In this case, what The Brass Dome practically does is set (BaseCriticalStrikeMultiplier + AdditionalCriticalStrikeMultiplier) to the value 1.00

In the game code, there is probably some form of [ExtraCriticalDamageMultiplier] which is equal to whatever Critical Strike Multiplier shows on your Character sheet, minus 100%. So if your character sheet shows 150%, your "extra damage" is 50%. For most monsters, this is usually 30%, or higher with Map mods (like +47% multiplier would be 67% extra).

Brass Dome sets this Extra stat to 0

EDIT: If you think this should be added to the wiki but don't feel like registering for an account and writing it up yourself, I can try my hand at adding a section
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Last edited by adghar on Oct 19, 2016, 10:45:25 PM
"
adghar wrote:
"
xrook wrote:

"

the

or just the

The wiki is made by players, hence "Community Wiki" or "Unofficial Wiki," so the formulas don't always match the game code.

In this case, what The Brass Dome practically does is set (BaseCriticalStrikeMultiplier + AdditionalCriticalStrikeMultiplier) to the value 1.00

In the game code, there is probably some form of [ExtraCriticalDamageMultiplier] which is equal to whatever Critical Strike Multiplier shows on your Character sheet, minus 100%. So if your character sheet shows 150%, your "extra damage" is 50%. For most monsters, this is usually 30%, or higher with Map mods (like +47% multiplier would be 67% extra).

Brass Dome sets this Extra stat to 0

EDIT: If you think this should be added to the wiki but don't feel like registering for an account and writing it up yourself, I can try my hand at adding a section

To clarify, critical strikes basically deal a percentage of what your damage would be. If it is above 100%, it is increased. If it is below 100%, crits deal less damage. If it is 100%, crits deal no damage different than a regular hit. Think of it as "deals x% of base damage".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info