What is Desync? (A thorough explanation)

"
eckart wrote:
Thank you for that great read. I'm wondering though, if games like Dota 2, where split second reactions are very important, actually way more important than path of exile (PvE at least), is very much playable using an architecture that forces the game state to be synchronized at all times (as in the game is pretty much played on the server), why would one expect PoE to be unplayable under such conditions? If the ping is below 50 ms, even fast games are somewhat playable. I once played a lovely game called Bloodline Champions which was about Arena Style PvP only where you actually had to counter enemy attacks, and it was also handled server side; even such games are playable with a fine ping. So, im not denying it might be a difficult task for a small company as GGG to provide a server infrastructure that will yield a fine ping for the average guy, but in general, shouldnt such a system be more than sufficient for a PvE Hack n Slay?

To GGG's defense, at least in LoL there is a LOT fewer things to sync per instance. A 5v5 game only has to really sync 10 objects. The minion AI is also EXTREMELY simple, and able to be predicted client side easily. I have also seen desync in LoL from minions. However, I do agree that the current desync is PAINFUL, and far exceeds that of any game I've ever played. I hope GGG can find some client / server pathing code mismatches, and some code tricks that other games use. Desync is the only thing holding this game back from being truly amazing.
What is Desync? (A thorough explanation)

Desync is defined as when the client and server lose synchronization for objects being displayed on your screen. Every game has desync, however, GGG didn't plan for it at all and refuses to fix it.

Why is Hardcore/Onslaught more difficult?

Desync.

GGG Why won't you fix Desync?

Too busy humping farm animals.
If you're reading this, I'm probably on another year-long ban.
Thanks GGG.
"
Saffell wrote:
"
eckart wrote:
Thank you for that great read. I'm wondering though, if games like Dota 2, where split second reactions are very important, actually way more important than path of exile (PvE at least), is very much playable using an architecture that forces the game state to be synchronized at all times (as in the game is pretty much played on the server), why would one expect PoE to be unplayable under such conditions? If the ping is below 50 ms, even fast games are somewhat playable. I once played a lovely game called Bloodline Champions which was about Arena Style PvP only where you actually had to counter enemy attacks, and it was also handled server side; even such games are playable with a fine ping. So, im not denying it might be a difficult task for a small company as GGG to provide a server infrastructure that will yield a fine ping for the average guy, but in general, shouldnt such a system be more than sufficient for a PvE Hack n Slay?

To GGG's defense, at least in LoL there is a LOT fewer things to sync per instance. A 5v5 game only has to really sync 10 objects. The minion AI is also EXTREMELY simple, and able to be predicted client side easily. I have also seen desync in LoL from minions. However, I do agree that the current desync is PAINFUL, and far exceeds that of any game I've ever played. I hope GGG can find some client / server pathing code mismatches, and some code tricks that other games use. Desync is the only thing holding this game back from being truly amazing.

Simple.

DotA 2 runs on Steam, which has a huge fucking ton of servers available. They can afford to sync everything at once because they're assured that in their cloud of Steam/DotA 2 Servers, there will always be one server that is close enough (low latency) and has the capacity (low server load) to handle an instance of a game.

PoE has only 4 gateways, so chances are high that you are forced to play on a server that is geographically and logically (as in routing table/net route-wise) far from you (high latency), and is pretty much loaded all the time (high server load). Thus, desync.

As an example, before Anarchy/Onslaught was merged into Standard/HC, I could play on the SG servers with ~90 ms latency. Now that everyone is back onto Standard, the lowest latency I get is 285 due to the server load (remember that latency is not just a function of internet speed, even if it takes you only 1 ms to transport data to the server, if it's too busy you need to wait for it to respond and that can take up to 200ms long depending on load).
i came to learn about desync, and my god did i learn about desync......is there a point system here cause i want to give OP points for that.....or cookies but cookie clicker takes care of the imaginary e-cookie needs of the entire internet.

would it be possible to have the client side of the equation be the "host" for positional data and the damage calculation, dodge chance, and proc chance be server side?

the worst part of major desyncs isn't whether i do damage or not, it's whether i am face deep in swords spells and arrows.
Last edited by svnhddbst on Oct 14, 2013, 7:44:28 PM
delete this please.
Last edited by svnhddbst on Oct 14, 2013, 7:44:53 PM
bowing out
kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbFE90QKJIw
vs
adults https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzysxHGZCAU
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 business a-blazing but no more t-shirts
Last edited by FullCust on Oct 7, 2014, 10:20:14 PM
"
Sachiru wrote:

Simple.

DotA 2 runs on Steam, which has a huge fucking ton of servers available. They can afford to sync everything at once because they're assured that in their cloud of Steam/DotA 2 Servers, there will always be one server that is close enough (low latency) and has the capacity (low server load) to handle an instance of a game.

PoE has only 4 gateways, so chances are high that you are forced to play on a server that is geographically and logically (as in routing table/net route-wise) far from you (high latency), and is pretty much loaded all the time (high server load). Thus, desync.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question (I'm a biologist, know nothing about computers).
Does your comment mean that when PoE goes on steam this month, that some of the issues will be done for? Or don't they get any 'bandwith' from steam?
"
Waervyn wrote:
"
Sachiru wrote:

Simple.

Sorry if this is a really stupid question (I'm a biologist, know nothing about computers).
Does your comment mean that when PoE goes on steam this month, that some of the issues will be done for? Or don't they get any 'bandwith' from steam?

If you play via Steam, you'll still be connecting to the same servers that the non-Steam users are on.
"
Henry_GGG wrote:
"
Waervyn wrote:
"
Sachiru wrote:

Simple.

If you play via Steam, you'll still be connecting to the same servers that the non-Steam users are on.

OK thanks for the reply!
I haven't had much problems with desyncs myself, but I guess I never played a cyclone or flickeer strike character ^^

In any case, thanks a lot OP for the thorough explanation!
great read. Mad props to the Author.

Desync can be annoying but I'd rather have the game the way it is. I really like the combat.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info