Reduce drastically or eliminate completely the exp lose on death

@herflik

There are multiple different types of skill at play here.

One is theorycrafting skill. Picking the right build indeed becomes easier when someone's done it before and published a guide, but
1. it's not always the case that someone's done it before and published a guide, and
2. there's lots of build guides out there, and those builds are not all equally good.

So there's still some skill involved there.

Then there's piloting skill. This exists too, because there are definitely instances where good pilots live where bad pilots would die.

There's trade skill, too. This may be hard to believe, as the process seems fairly straightforward, but watching some truly unskilled traders will reinforce the point.

The main issue with your argument is your use of extremist language. PoE doesn't have no theorycrafting skill, it has low theorycrafting skill, because you can copypasta a good build from another. PoE doesn't have no piloting skill, it has low piloting skill, as evidenced by the devs saying you should be able to watch some Netflix while playing. It doesn't have no trade skill, it has low trade skill, because almost no one wants to haggle or evaluate items themselves.

PoE is essentially a casual grinder. As someone who was promised a "hardcore game" I find that rather disappointing, especially as positioning, etc were originally held up as justifications for netcode. The game right now is very casual, but even this casual isn't fully unskilled.

The second problem with your argument is that you are arguing to the way things are, not to the way you apparently want things to be. Do you want a hardcore game, or a casual one? And if you want the former, why argue for a death penalty which fits the mold of the latter?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 28, 2016, 2:15:45 PM
"
herflik wrote:

People claiming that PoE requires no skill are living in illusions themselves. Have you ever watched streamers? Like really long enough. Yes, sure 2/3 of them are playing corresponding to meta but this is not golden rule. I've seen many playing builds which are considered trash by community. First one to reach 100 in ESC was a summoner iirc. This people are extremely dedicated and cautious, they have reflexes, skills and intuition. I know what i am talking about, i tried to teach basics about a dozen of people, i gave them FOTM builds, feeded them with currency and items and yet it was a failure most times. People just not trying to train 0.3s reaction time, math skills, trade skills, positioning skills. They are lazy in every way but complaining on forums it seems.
I like to see people cry that they can't get to level 90... Means you can't faceroll the game completely(nevermind ggg mess up with pathfinder/bv+flasks, hope it is fixed). There should be death and it should hurt.
"
herflik wrote:

Challange:

Take any top POE player you want and give him 1 month to do this one song (just survive on it on standard setting, they can try to memorize it but wont help much):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeA8D0rDzH0

Simple game mechanic, just 4 buttons. Probably no person you pick will make it without hacks. Thats what player skill is. For you its impossible, for some its normal gameplay.

Top PoE ladder players often work together with others to achieve their high result. So just get 3 friends, and have one person be responsible for each arrow. They won't get it on the first go, but probably within a week easy.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Oct 28, 2016, 2:33:06 PM
Why do you not blame on yourself instead?
"
rararaputin wrote:
I like to see people cry that they can't get to level 90... Means you can't faceroll the game completely(nevermind ggg mess up with pathfinder/bv+flasks, hope it is fixed). There should be death and it should hurt.

I would first ask GGG to offer balance regarding game mechanics, items and skills and only then introduce an ultra punishing difficulty - I would enjoy that on Normal in Act 3 Dominus to hit like his Residence counterpart, but that will probably become a reality only after you get to a single difficulty in the next few years, maybe then PoE will get back to it's "hardcore" roots...

Of course death should hurt, but at the moment, thanks to the ultra "nice" EXP penalty post level 95 it hurts more that it should, and you literaly lose the feeling of progression and that is no fun anyway you are looking at it...

We made a couple of suggestions that would help with the progression that the game offers post level 90, and if GGG are so pissed off about people trying to bother themselves with leveling to the cap, place an în game warning at least at level 95 about the added EXP penalty so that every casual n00b to know that the goddamn last 5 levels are for a "prestige" status only and that the developers themselves suggest that you should actually spend your time doing something else, like trying new builds on different clases... Then you at least can't say that you were not warned about the hallowness of your goal...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
it was halved...i vote bring it back to it's old value.

+1
The problem with these discussions is that for most of the game the death penalty is trivial relative to the rate of XP gain. Even at level 80 you typically don't lose more than 5 minutes of progression when you die.

So we repeatedly have players coming in threads like these and saying the death penalty is fine, or should be raised, and +1-ing each other, largely because they don't have a single character above level 90 and haven't experienced how the penalty scales.

Ultimately the question is: How much of a time/progression penalty should a non-hc player receive when their character dies?

There's a small (very small, if you look at HC league participation) but vocal hardcore mindset audience who might say the penalty should be infinite. But that audience is not what non-hc leagues are supposed to be tailored for.

My position is that the death penalty in standard is poorly tailored for players playing characters level 90+ who don't want to lose, say, more than an hour of progression when they die. At 95+ the penalty eliminates 6+ hours. This penalty scaling seems to be poorly understood by players who haven't reached these levels (or selfishly justified by players who have no intention of ever leveling that far, who just want to see the more dedicated players suffer/slowed down).

With the recent XP changes, a blanket 10% death penalty in these upper levels is excessively penalizing relative to the amount of time (and maps/currency) required to gain 10%. How many players honestly enjoy games that eliminate 6+ hours of effort when you make a mistake, lag/disconnect, or get RNG 1-shot? It's the combination of an easy game and a severe penalty at upper levels that make this unbearable. It's incredibly fatiguing to give the game your full attention for 8+ hours consecutive when you're face rolling content. It's not an enjoyable kind of tension when the penalty is that high (if it was enjoyable for you, you'd be playing HC).

We can argue for pages about secondary or tertiary things like build selection, skill, servers, bugs, reward for challenge avoidance, or other considerations like how the labyrinth introduced multiple death penalties (you need to restart your run from scratch and repay the offering entry fee, and you lose 10%). But the primary question for this sort of feedback will always be, how much time should a standard player lose when they die?

There are other ways of phrasing this, like how many consecutive T15 maps should a player be able to run deathless in order to progress? (i.e. what's an adequate performance/attentiveness standard?) As-is, you can run 30 T15 maps deathless but make 0 progress if you die once on map #31. Does GGG honestly think that's enjoyable for the most number of players? (do the players who haven't even run 30 T15s in their entire lifetime completely lack the empathy to see why a 6+ hour penalty is terrible?)

If you look at the popular streamers, they all abandon their builds and play something new at around 92. The enjoyability of the 92-100 grind is clearly not on target.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Vhlad wrote:
The problem with these discussions is that for most of the game the death penalty is trivial relative to the rate of XP gain. Even at level 80 you typically don't lose more than 5 minutes of progression when you die.

So we repeatedly have players coming in threads like these and saying the death penalty is fine, or should be raised, and +1-ing each other, largely because they don't have a single character above level 90 and haven't experienced how the penalty scales.

Ultimately the question is: How much of a time/progression penalty should a non-hc player receive when their character dies?

There's a small (very small, if you look at HC league participation) but vocal hardcore mindset audience who might say the penalty should be infinite. But that audience is not what non-hc leagues are supposed to be tailored for.

My position is that the death penalty in standard is poorly tailored for players playing characters level 90+ who don't want to lose, say, more than an hour of progression when they die. At 95+ the penalty eliminates 6+ hours. This penalty scaling seems to be poorly understood by players who haven't reached these levels (or selfishly justified by players who have no intention of ever leveling that far, who just want to see the more dedicated players suffer/slowed down).

With the recent XP changes, a blanket 10% death penalty in these upper levels is excessively penalizing relative to the amount of time (and maps/currency) required to gain 10%. How many players honestly enjoy games that eliminate 6+ hours of effort when you make a mistake, lag/disconnect, or get RNG 1-shot? It's the combination of an easy game and a severe penalty at upper levels that make this unbearable. It's incredibly fatiguing to give the game your full attention for 8+ hours consecutive when you're face rolling content. It's not an enjoyable kind of tension when the penalty is that high (if it was enjoyable for you, you'd be playing HC).

We can argue for pages about secondary or tertiary things like build selection, skill, servers, bugs, reward for challenge avoidance, or other considerations like how the labyrinth introduced multiple death penalties (you need to restart your run from scratch and repay the offering entry fee, and you lose 10%). But the primary question for this sort of feedback will always be, how much time should a standard player lose when they die?

There are other ways of phrasing this, like how many consecutive T15 maps should a player be able to run deathless in order to progress? (i.e. what's an adequate performance/attentiveness standard?) As-is, you can run 30 T15 maps deathless but make 0 progress if you die once on map #31. Does GGG honestly think that's enjoyable for the most number of players? (do the players who haven't even run 30 T15s in their entire lifetime completely lack the empathy to see why a 6+ hour penalty is terrible?)

If you look at the popular streamers, they all abandon their builds and play something new at around 92. The enjoyability of the 92-100 grind is clearly not on target.

+1000 This describes perfectly the state of death EXP penalty in relation to high level characters, which should be adressed as GGG should try to keep reaching 100 a plausible and enjoyable experience overall - even if it's scaled to take years...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Well, I just lost a month's worth of xp, so I'll take a break from the game. Have fun being asses to people that just want to enjoy the game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info