Reduce drastically or eliminate completely the exp lose on death

"
Phrazz wrote:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

I agree with a lot of your post. There's much they could do about the sense of progression. I'll even agree that some "side areas/content" may be out of touch with the main progression of the game. And I certainly agree about level appropriate content not being available. But having no penalty for death is not the answer - to anything - at all.

I don't see the point of having different penalty scaling in different difficulties either, as you gain levels faster than the beating of your heart in normal and cruel. And the definition of "merciless" is, well... It SHOULD set you back more, as it is harder and... Well... Merciless. And to remove/reduce death penalty as a "band aid" for technical issues? Wrong focus. And to bring up uniques vs rares in this discussion, is digression IMO.

There are A LOT of work to be done in PoE, both technical and balance wise. But the death penalty is not one of them. And to remove it - or change it - because of other faults, is a slippery slope I rather see they skip.

Having no death EXP penalty at all wasn't an option from my point of view - the last RPG that actually required you to stop fear death as a boundry against progression that I played was Planescape Torment - and due to that I would consider the death EXP penalty on Softcore a must, until GGG finds a better solution.

I reasoned that until GGG finds time to properly balance the game, the fact that Normal and Cruel are pushovers regarding difficulty should still be met with a harsher punishment regarding the advancement of character, and idealy you should actually start losing a level to pay attention to the game and stop zerging content - if we want this game to still feel challenging, it's ok to raise alarm signals as early as possible and determine players to at least pay more attention or even prepare themselves better for the progress ahead...

I started playing PoE around 1.3.0 and I still consider myself your friendly casual n00b, and in spite of that, I'm all in if we are talking about a more difficult game but also fairer - a goddamn battle log is a must to at least recount your death experience and to better prepare yourself for future encounters - and that would at least mean proper balance regarding the way you could scale defences and how they act against damage...

When GGG keeps forgeting to focus and keep their word, or at least say to the player community that they changed their mind, then I'll drop the uniques vs rares argument, as it is at the moment, it's just to illustrate the lack of consistency regarding GGG decisions about balancing content...

From my point of view, death EXP penalty should be improved, and my idea just represents a way to restore at least temporarily a bit of balance regarding the lack of progression at higher levels at least - it's by no means perfect, but still represents a "band aid" to the actual system, if they want to change and improve it...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Oct 27, 2016, 11:41:01 AM
I only leveled a char past 90 once. And those 3 levels were the most unenjoyable the game ever was for me I'd love to see them change the exp penalty and make 100 more attainable for everyone.
Solution for EXP penalty

On death:
character loses 2% xp,
gains 3% "fatigue" which reduces xp gain by 50%
fatigue shows red on your xp bar ahead of your current xp
fatigue dissipates over time when not logged in

Solution for NO LIFE streamers getting to level 100 too fast, WITHOUT affecting respectable play time players with this ridiculous xp curve

Introduce Vitality:
increases xp gain by 100%
vitality can build up to one full level of double xp
vitality is accrued while not logged in (make it a week to get a full level of vitality or something)

Life will be technically better Soon TM
make xp penalty 2% not 10% , u magically die and waste 3 years to get 10% exp -.-
I have to agree without being able to actually gain xp, 10% is huge. Either make maps actually give xp at high lvls or drop the % on death.

We are punished enough with having to buy content, limited portals for those who cry zerg
I said this once in global kind of joking around but i think it could be a good idea for SC (since if you die on HC you die)

Dark Souls type recovery system

If you can kill the mob that killed you you gain the exp from the mob + the exp it stole from you on death

This mob will be Empowered with the sprit of an Exile and be glowing like ghosts do to mobs

I dont see how this is a bad thing SC is harder then HC in this sense because we lose exp HC does not (for they lose full chars so they dont die)

If we wanted to not die we would play HC

Infact im posting this on the forum in a sec just because
Last edited by Lynerus on Oct 27, 2016, 8:48:44 PM
Cool idea (I said so in your other thread too.) But, seriously, this bit:
"
Lynerus wrote:
SC is harder then HC in this sense because we lose exp HC does not

LOL! And the BS argument of the month goes to... Lynerus!

-----------------------------
PS: HC characters do lose exp when they die and go to SC.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Oct 27, 2016, 8:58:19 PM
Look, GGG's never going to fix the death penalty because they monetized it.

Chris won't give up all that Chinese cash from the consumable no XP loss from death micro transaction.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
"
Vhlad wrote:
Look, GGG's never going to fix the death penalty because they monetized it.

Chris won't give up all that Chinese cash from the consumable no XP loss from death micro transaction.

Then they could just introduce it here and be done with it - more players will reach 100 and will actually pay GGG for it - as 100 it's more of a prestige target than have real utility, and just keep it as it is for all other free to play users that could bitch about it, but have another plausible option - and that would make PoE at last true pay to win, no questions about it, although from my point of view în a better way than paying real money for items...

PS: I'm still hoping they are trying to fix instead the balance and the death EXP penalty, and would be sad if they choose the easy route...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Oct 27, 2016, 11:56:20 PM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

When I said difficult rolls on a map, I thought about -Max Res + Ele Weakness, Added Fire + Added Lighning + Added Crit for mobs which would present a larger threat than Skeletons/Sea Witches, Enfeeble, Unique Boss HP + DMG, Corrupted Bloodlines for most (not to mention that they do have stats of the preparations that you take when you are rolling a map for a build, if they would want they could find a way to calculate a smaller/larger penalty based on the map mod and your interaction - you meet Ele Weakness => you overcap you resistances, and so on)...

Trying to measure the impact of all combination to reward the players according to it and according to their build ( and then allow them to exploit it through let's say ... snapshotting for example ) would be one of the best thing to make the game boring.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info