[2.4] The Furnace - Turn your enemy to ashes! Burning Vortex Chieftain

I'm wondering if purity of fire is necessary once we get enough regen from the tree/ascendancy. I feel like dropping it and running something like Determination (or blasph/enfeeble or temp chains but need +1 curse somewhere) could be better. Currently trying that out, running Determination right now in HC as I close in to lvl 80, once I get end charges up there is no difference without PoF.
Last edited by D_nasty on Sep 13, 2016, 10:11:48 PM
Read about the life per second you need here:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Righteous_Fire

You need 0.9% max life regen less per 1% fire resist. Means 1% fire resist = 0.9% max life reg.

If you have 3.6% max life regen to spare you can drop a 4% max res Purity of Fire.
Last edited by zorker on Sep 14, 2016, 8:51:17 AM
About dropping Purity of Fire:
You have extra regeneration to spare, true. However there are map-modifiers, where ou are glad to have extra-regen. (-maxres, less regen maps, vulnerability, desecrated or burning ground, ...).
Also keep in mind, that in some of them, Purity is equivalent to more than 4% liferegen, eg.g on a 40% less regeneration map, it is equivalent to 6.7% regeneration.
Additionally it provides us nice security against reflect, as well as defenses against fire-damage from monsters.

If you still want to drop it tough, consider also to instead drop the Phoenix shield and get an OP rare one with the leo-modifier to take less damage over time.

About the Decoy Totem:
I really like that one and already thought about adding it before. I just alread have so many active things to use.
With RF (turned off via flask sometimes, then turned on again,...), Vortex, Lightning Warp, Orb of Storms, Forstbolt and Enduring Cry and all my Flasks I am already somewhat occupied. Also bosses usually die fast enough to not need it.
So I decided to use the passive Molten Shell instead.

When used actively tough, Decoy Totem will be the stronger choice, so if you dont mind another acitve, go for it.
That said, I will plug it in once I finally get the chance for a T16 map, at least for my first try - and in HC it might always worth it.
Last edited by Rayshan on Sep 14, 2016, 2:15:24 PM
I agree dropping purity of fire does hurt us on some map mods and using determination also destroyed my mana pool (50% vs 35% reserved) and gave me sustain problems. So I'm using PoF again, it seems the better option but it was worth testing.

Another change I made is switching out Lightning Warp + FC for Fortify + Shield charge which has helped me reduce incoming phys dmg even more. There were certain monsters/mods (devourers) where I was getting chunked for 4-5khp and it was feeling a little bit too dangerous, fortify helped a lot with that.

Here's my gear, currently lvl 83 EHC:

Lmk if you see anything to be improved. I crafted the amulet myself (gloves and helm too but they suck), currently overcapped on resists, the only suffixes I was hoping to roll were chaos res or cast speed so that was awesome.

Also do you think Doryani's is a good upgrade over singularity?
Last edited by D_nasty on Sep 14, 2016, 5:48:59 PM
I use Decoy totem aswell. Not sure for what I would want that Frostbolt atm.
Shield Charge and Fortify sounds like a really good idea. I hardly ever use warp atm.
Got some more gear now. Will try Merciless lab tomorrow.
The 500 life chest would be really nice aswell. Probably the next thing I will put my money in.
Btw..why are you using a Granite? Isn't Basalt way better?
Last edited by zorker on Sep 14, 2016, 6:25:46 PM
"
zorker wrote:
I use Decoy totem aswell. Not sure for what I would want that Frostbolt atm.
Shield Charge and Fortify sounds like a really good idea. I hardly ever use warp atm.
Got some more gear now. Will try Merciless lab tomorrow.
The 500 life chest would be really nice aswell. Probably the next thing I will put my money in.
Btw..why are you using a Granite? Isn't Basalt way better?

I have frostbolt for very special cases where I don't want to get close. I don't even have it on the skillbar normally but for example, I did Atoll boss and he has huge ele burst if you go close to him. I just fired frostbolt and vortexed from a distance where none of his spells could hit me for a very easy kill.
Could you elaborate on what level you should start using your main gems. I know you mentioned it above but just in few sentences. I am currently leveling and I tried righteous fire but I do not have enough life regen apparently. So if you can sum up shortly from which level you should start using the main gems and for example is it okay to use vortex without righteous fire for example. Thank you in advance for your answer.
Granite vs Basalt is debatable, both are valid.
Due to so much % increased armour, Granite is really strong in this build.
Mathematicians Strongbox of the Curious

For the following graph I took the values of my character, 2000 armour from gear base, 300% increased armour.
X-Axis is damage dealt by an enemy monster, y-Axis is Damagereduction.
Blue line is Granite Flask of Iron Skin
Red line is Basalt Flask of Iron Skin
Green line is Basalt Flask of Warding (or any other non-armour utility suffix)

2.7k dmg per hit is the point where Basalt becomes superior.
The difference between them doesnt diverge much at that point tough, only quite later on.
Basalt Flask lasts a second longer.
Granite Flask costs less charges and can be used twice in a row without refill.

About the gear: Well, you got everything you need.
First thing that springs to mind is that belt-craft. WED is useless for us.
You have the choice between movementspeed (tora6), flask life (tora3) or flaskcharges when you get crit (leo5). Get one of those.
Your gems will get more levels just as time passes, making you stronger.
Helmet could obviously use a little more life. Just in general, with all those rares there is always something to be improoved, tough it might be smaller and smaller steps.
Amulet looks really nice tough.
EDIT: Do I see correctly? You have no way of turning off RF?

The Frostbolt really is rarely needed, but I too, don't want to miss it in certain situations.
However this brought me to the idea of swapping it's active slot with Decoy Totem most of the time, so I will try out that - thank you.

Shieldcharge I hadn't considered too much, because it can't go over cliffs and I can't link faster attacks to it. (Too much of a dexterity-investment.)
But if you say it works good, I may also try it.
Just take care in Necropolis then

The boss traps you with an arena-style frostwall and casts shit on the ground.
If you cant warp out, this may be really dangerous for you, take care on that map.

Doryani's is an upgrade for you, but not a big one.
Reasoning

Compaing perfect versions of both items.
Both got rather not so important stats on them (for our build).
For Doyanis this is the minor leech and the critchance.
For Singularity it is the Lightning Damage to spells and the Reduced Mana.

If you equip Doryani's you gain 22% damage at the cost of 8% castspeed and hinder.
Quite comparable imo.
What tips Doryani's in your favour is the faster attackspeed, which reduces the delay after a shield-charge.

As a sidenote: Doryanis is way better for your tooltip, which doesn't factor in the damage from Singularity, so you then can go proll more xD.
Last edited by Rayshan on Sep 15, 2016, 12:33:29 PM
Thanks for the write-up.

I chained around 20 uber labs and made a lot of currency with the favorable layout yesterday. The char performs very well unless I screw up flasks or just play bad in general. By the end of the day I was doing 10 minute runs for 4 keys everytime (argus included). Currently 8k HP, 5.6k armor with no buffs. Vortex gets close to 30k dps when all my buffs are up.

I think Doryani's will be my next upgrade and that's where gear caps out right? (maybe +1 max res kaom eventually)

Yes I don't have a way to turn off RF. I've thought about using a dousing flask but there hasn't been a situation where I would need it. In lab would probably be the most appropriate if you get stuck on traps, otherwise what's the point? I just keep up a good pace in maps so I never run out of regen or end charges.

Anyways thanks for the build, I'm pretty sure I've reached the Apex and so far I have to say it has been solid through all the dodgy situations I've managed to get myself into (no jinx).

Right now I'm mostly focused on finishing the 36 challenges so don't be surprised if I report back here with a rip on one of the higher map bosses. But hopefully not.
I am also doing a vortex build atm. Quite a bit different from yours but still I feel very strong. I am currently running vortex in a +3 cold staff together with a level 2 empower the gem is level 19 by itself so all in all I got a level 24 vortex going. As all spells vortex scale insanely with levels and at the max of 28 I will have about double the initial hit and double the dot witch will be about 25k each. This is on a 5 link. Any ways.

Have you thought of going with a +3 cold staff crafted with less damage taken from damage over time that leo gives at level 3 to sustain the RF? Think this might be the most powerful setup. Also a staff can get a lot more inc damage compared to a doryanis if you can get the right rolls.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Sjatar/characters
My char name is Sja_IWEleVor, the staff I have was bought for ~20c, non 5 linked. Just wanted to point this out because this will probably net you with a big damage increase! :)

I sadly cannot run RF in my build to afraid of it because I am in HC but still in a SC version I would def try it :)
hi <3 I stream at twitch.tv/sjatar_

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info