[2.4] The Furnace - Turn your enemy to ashes! Burning Vortex Chieftain

You are right about ES and RF but would plain armour items be better then? Colours are the mine issues I guess. >_<

Edit. Level 66 now. Bought some items and equipped all the gems. Did the first two ascendancies. Will do the third if I gain some more levels.

Can run RF already. Really interesting gameplay.

Which ascendancy was your third one?
Last edited by zorker on Sep 12, 2016, 7:51:37 PM
How important is the chest 5-link for that cwdt set-up and any alternatives?
I bought my 5linked chest on poe.trade for 1 chaos orb (white) and upgraded it with an Essence of Greed. That is suuuper cheap. You only need it around level 65.

From what I learned about Vortex builds the Orb of Storms and Tempest Shield setup was initially designed to proc EE in another build. At least there are big similarities. That build was Vortex only though. Not sure if we can benefit from it aswell because it might work because we have two parallel degens running against bosses. Cold degen from Vortex, Ignite dot, Burn.

Not to get confused here. This build is generating 3 dots.

Any Vortex hit gets converted to fire with Pyre and creates an Ignite dot.
The cold damage degen from Vortex is not affected by the Pyre ring and still applies leaving a big cold damage degen.
The third degen is the burn from RF.

Thanks to mechanics of dots always the biggest dot counts.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/531139

Interesting EE is only procced on hit. Running around with RF does not even proc EE! Getting EE could be a huge dps boost. The RF burn, the cold dot and the Ignite dot all three are buffed by the EE procced by Orb of Storms. This could be bonkers.
Last edited by zorker on Sep 13, 2016, 4:21:31 AM
Hey man, I'm following your guide and enjoying it quite a bit. Would a Kaom's Heart be better than having that 5l CwDT setup? Maybe a belly of the beast could be nice too.
nice build!Is there some lazy way to get enduring charges?
Nice build I am going to try it out. I didnt see anything about which ascendancy class is the best, can you say something about that also?
He is playing as chieftain, read again to see his reasoning.

That being said, I'm very tempted to try this out as berserker for the 40% more damage and stupid amount of leech. Thoughts on that?
I will try to answer in order.

My third ascendancy was Hinekora, because the leech tempted me.
In retrospect, I think, that Tawhoa would have been the better choice.
In any case you cant really go too wrong here, as long as you get Ranako as the second one.

---------------------------------

The 5-link chest is nearly irrelevant.
I just had so many spare Jewellers and the trading ratio to chaos was so bad xD.
You only really need Orb of Storms + Increased Criticals.
The Molten shell is just an excuse because I had spare sockets.

I am not a fan of Elemental Equilibrium.
Generally the first thing you do, if something doesnt die by running through with RF on is casting vortex. Which deals fire-damage, increasing the targets resistance.
This would make EE rather clunky, you would always have to follow up with an orb of storms and best even time your hits. Yes, this could be great on a pure RF build, but I dont think it fits this one.

At "always the biggest dot counts". This is NOT entirely correct.
The correct thing would be "the biggest dot per different skill counts".
See also the wiki or MarkGGG.
This means, that RF damage stacks with vortex ignite, which also stacks with the vortex dot!
What does not work is, if two players both use righteous fire (the same skill) on one enemy.
This slight difference works heavily in our favour!

Easily getting endurance charges is already possible.
Every enemy killed has a 20% chance to give us one.
The cry is just to kickstart the charges in a new map or after backtracking.

The Kaom's Heart is a valid possibility!
You would get rid of the Tempest shield in order to keep orb of storms going if you use it.
You trade the possibility for chaosres, tempest shield and some armour for a massive amount of life and with it some RF damage.
It puts more stress on the rest of your gear to max those resistances, making it more pricey, as well as costing quite a bunch itself.
So quite expensive, but it is an upgrade - havent tried out how good tough, so can only speculate.

The berserker I do not like too much.
Sure, your nominal damage would be higher, but you loose out on so much.
You loose 7*0.5 + 2 = 5.5% of life regenerated per second, while also taking more degen due to aspect of carnage. This means you will have to flask to keep your life up. (No the leech isnt enough, especially because RF does not leech and you kill most trash purely with it.)
Additionally you would have to cast enduring cry all the time (or loose another 0.4*7 = 2.8% life regenerated due to kaom's way AND also the survivability granted by the charges)
Also you loose 15% burn chance from chieftain. Bosses are resistant to flammability, so you would really only have a small ignite chance left for bosses, killing you damage-consitency.

Sure you could combat some of the missing liferegen by venturing to the duelist area.
But that would mean you loose nearly all ignite chance on bosses and this would make your damage far worse than a chieftains, even tough you have the 40% more node.

Last edited by Rayshan on Sep 13, 2016, 12:24:03 PM
Many thanks, will give it a go as you suggested then. My only negative thought is about relying on endurance charges which need to be generated by killing ads, but some of the high bosses have no ads at all.
I think Decoy Totem is very important in this build too. Makes for easy and more risk-free boss fights.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info