The Dot spam and Bots

"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Dot SPAM implies you are spamming dots. IE multiple times, sending content with no value. Responding to a bot spam with more spam is suppose to be better?

People get 24h'd for posting a single dot just one time tho
"
Your right they straight up just mute spammers such as bots and people who spam "."s

What was your point?

"
So are people who spam "."

What?
"
, should we have an endless hoard of bots and "."s in global chat then?

No? Remember, dots combat bots, because GGG can't. I don't know if i've mentioned this yet (I probably have), but since nobody ever responds to this, here I'll mention it again - dots help. Imagine this - you're surrounded by mobs. You're about to die, so you have to be really careful. Suddenly, a huge wall of text appears, blinding you. Ideally, GGG staff/staffbots remove this instantly, but since we don't live in this ideal world, the bot's message remains in chat for a good 5 seconds before disappearing. You can't open chat and type in '/clear', because you'd be dead. But then you also can't see from the text, so I guess you're dead either way. Except - get this - your good friends from global quickly react and post a bunch of dots, quickly (before GGG started muting, this took a second, or even less) bumping up the bot's shit and bam - you can see again. Yes, I get that this sounds very situational, but with the amount of bot messages, and the amount of shit builds that die quickly - it happens a lot. That's why I started dotting. Because it helped me out. More than once.

Oh and, "hurr leave global" is not a good fucking solution. You droners can stop repeating this. I like global. I want it on. Dots never derailed a conversation before people started arguing about it (thank you GGG). At most there'd be a singel 'y u do dat tho?'. Wow, such terrible spam. I am speechless. Why do you get triggered at this?

Spam is unavoidable (apparently). Dots are the least offensive kind of ""spam"".

"
The purpose is to fix the bot spamming, not fixing the "dots". The dots is just more spamming after the bot spams.

Yeah dude for sure we should totally just deal with it and let the brick of text stay up until chat auto-clears. Totally more convenient.

The rest of your post is just repeating the same shit, and a bunch of stuff that doesn't really connect anywhere in the conversation (the stuff about the xDs

"
I understand your people attempts are to "Fix" the "annoying spam bot spam" by mass spamming something slightly less annoying, like come on.

So you're admitting it's better to have dots than brick wall of white text?

"
The entirely of global chat spamming "." is spam, that's why you get punished for it. Unless GGG decided that the correct course of action to combat bots is to spam more text (so allowed), then it is still by all definitions spam.

Yeah just a bunch of more meaningless bullshit and 'GGG this GGG that'. Yes I understand it's not allowed. That's why we're having this whole thread.
The fact here is that GGG just can't deal with the bot problem, and the best they could do about it is annoy a bunch of users too. I mean, 24 hour mutes? They thought that's a good idea?
Literally (it seems) the only reason you support this is because 'Well, GGG said so, therefore it's correct'. Oh and maybe some 'If u kill a killer then ur also a killer nd ur no better dude, yeah man i took literature in 8th grade'. I understand it's their game n shiet, but a customer is also allowed to complain about shit. This is honestly bullshit. I wouldn't be so mad if people just got muted for 5-10 minutes. 1 hour for me is pushing it, but there's people getting 24 hours!
This is not how you keep your dev-user relationship healthy. Holy shit I got so mad.
"
jikavak wrote:

-stuff-

You keep saying "I repeat" stuff but all I hear is "dot spamming is okay because I feel it is". I provided multiple points from angles leading from what the devs say, to what is the purpose of the dot spamming, to is dot spammer a better alternative.

Ok, that's cool. I already explained to how that dot spamming is spamming, and thus they going to mute you if you keep doing it.

You first need to prove it's not spamming, but it is so you can't.

Then next you need to prove it doesn't annoy other people just as much as the bot spammers, oh wait you can't because it does.

Next, you have to convince people how spamming dots is "fix" bots wall of text is better, oh wait it isn't because you're just spamming just as much as the bots.

Finally, you have to convince people that it's justified that your form of spamming should also be accepted as the standard in global chat for the end of time. Obviously bots aren't going to go away but I'm glad to know anyone playing the game has to deal with walls of dots after every single bot message. How about every single time a bot spams I type an entire block of question marks to move it out of the way that's 20 lines long? Since it holds as much value and content as dot spamming. To make dot spamming allowed you need to make guidelines and rules on why is specifically that is okay compared to any other possible form of "combative spamming". Why not ask GGG to allow mods that parses the chat for gold spammers like other MMOs have? The best solution you can come up with is dot spamming like dafaq.

Also if you're worrying about dying with walls of text then why would you be having conversions in global chat like dafaq.

Also JUST BECAUSE you are okay with dot spam doesn't mean other people are, what if other people are distracted or dislike the walls of dots AFTER bot spam.

We can't help bots spamming because they already doing something they aren't suppose to be doing, thus GGG mutes/bans them. But we can help other users not spamming along with bots because their version of spamming is more pleasant for them.

You thinking GGG is stepping in? They are just following guidelines they already set up, it's other users complaining to GGG about dot spamming so they are taking more action. This isn't "the entire PoE community of dot spammers united" vs "GGG rules".
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Sep 10, 2016, 7:26:01 PM
@RagnarokChu

tell me a way to remove wall of text from RMTbot without even typing or clicking anything at all. (and dont go tell me to quit global)

the dot spamming? it stop most of the time the moment the wall of text is gone. It helps me(especially I am in a heated situation/boss fight). I do not have to type anything myself to remove the wall of text because global community takes care of that.

the problem is GGG DO NOT Remove the wall of text from our chat as soon as they ban the RMT bot. This isnt forum where u can immediately totally remove the RMT post.
Last edited by Darkkrows on Sep 10, 2016, 9:41:45 PM
The RMT Spam gets pushed up quickly if you put Chat Width to Max. (The Text is laid out more horizontally) Combined with the People going "OMGWTF" "Here comes the Dot Train" usually is enough to get it out of my screen.

If you're wondering why they can't just edit posts in Chat with [Removed by Support] its a different thing compared to Forum Posts.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
Last edited by Atomic_Noodles on Sep 10, 2016, 9:48:54 PM
I will share my thoughts from the other thread:

"
"
Trainingmacro wrote:
"
Gary_GGG wrote:
Rachel has addressed the dot spam in the following thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1725655.

The (Dev) chat tag is there for all staff, including members of Support.

As long as the spam itself remains, the dots remain justified. People are spamming the dots because the actual spam is clogging up the game screen.

I actually am inclined to agree with this.

Wow you banned a spambot, great job. Guess what? The damage is already done, and they're just going to make another account.

But you sure taught that bot which took 30 seconds to make an account.

Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
I would like to begin with that I actually don't condone "dot spamming", but it is a better solution than what we currently have.

I really don't see why we can't have a chat filter that works the same way as an item filter. I think it would work similarly to stealth banning... which I really hope that you stealth mute them instead of letting them know that they're muted.

Actually, I have an even better idea. When someone gets banned/muted, you actually do something with the message that they posted to get banned/muted. If I go to global 1 and spam a bunch of inappropriate words, then there is no reason that they should remain. Change the message to something like: [Message Purged]. And, please, if this does become the actual solution, allow us to disable mod purging for our chat. The last thing I want is even less freedom in my chat experience.
R.I.P. Harvest crafting. You were amazing for one league
"
Dot SPAM implies you are spamming dots. IE multiple times, sending content with no value. Responding to a bot spam with more spam is suppose to be better?

If you are POSTING or WRITING your sending it once. politics/sexuality/religion or responding to a stupid question or an global event as a rip has at least SOME type of worth of as a response to an actual thing.

So if someone post spam without value then it is banable? Then go to reddit and ask if there is any value on gloabl 1, they will say there is none. Let's now ban entire global 1. I think your post have no value and you should be banned.

I went to chat saw "." spam so I also wrote "." because I thought it is fun. It had value for me: fun.
I went to chat saw "buy gold on www.gold.com" so I wrote ".". It had value for me: gold seller msg.

How you can see that something has no value? It is completely subjective.

"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Sep 11, 2016, 2:25:20 AM
"
Necromael wrote:

Alternative action list :

1. Leave global
2. Use /clear
3. Ignore spammer and then /clear

Never knew that command existed! Thanks for the heads up
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
So what about when you guys AREN'T at work? Because just 1-2 hours ago we had a group of 2-3 DIFFERENT bots spamming their RMT messages to the point where BOTS were fighting BOTS and it went on for over half an hour. We know you're human, and you can't react instantly to this problem. But seriously, add a captcha to join global chat or SOMETHING. You need to make a delay on the ability for a program to login, and paste the same message into global chats. But don't make it a challenge/level requirement so you don't screw over new players or the chat at the beginning of the leagues.

I'm not condoning dot spamming, or full stops at all. But the problem is clear. We should not be sitting here with these huge White line characters covering our screen advertising RMT and just say "this is okay, someone else will deal with it."

Change something. Stop relying on chat moderators and a spam filter to do all the work.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info