The Dot spam and Bots

"
TheExile777 wrote:
"
Hey there, I'd like to chime in about this.

The Support team gets rid of spambots in-game within a few seconds of their first line of spam, so there's actually no need to spam chat with full stops in order to "combat" the spammers as they're already gone.

The full stops are very disruptive to chat: they do constitute as spam, and if you spam chat then your account may be muted.

Why don't you then copy the exact same text and block ALL users spamming THE EXACT SAME TEXT. This changes only 1-2 times per league instead of how many "new" characters use the same lines...

Just fucking IP ban China.
"

The Support team gets rid of spambots in-game within a few seconds of their first line of spam, so there's actually no need to spam chat with full stops in order to "combat" the spammers as they're already gone.

The full stops are very disruptive to chat: they do constitute as spam, and if you spam chat then your account may be muted.

What you need to do is simply make ignored people's/bot's messages in chat disappear after you click ignore.

I never understood why their messages remain to taint my chat after I click ignore... so I basicly welcome people spamming dots, make my chat go clear instead of flashbangy.

If you would make bot msg disappear as soon as people click ignore, like chats usually work nowadays, you'd get rid of dots.
Last edited by Raxik on Sep 7, 2016, 5:08:46 PM
"
Shppy wrote:
"
Nasynne wrote:
So just cause some people are too lazy to type '/clear' command (6 characters SUCH KEYSTROKE) in chat they rather use their upper body muscles to spam '.'? I feel like with the spamming of the dots you could use the /clear command... That's a weird mentality.

Take a look at the chat sometime when the dotting happens. It's not one person repeatedly doing it, it's dozens of people making a quick press of Enter then ".". Takes a couple fingers from one hand. Typing out /clear takes much more effort, and like i said, when you're actually playing the game (instead of standing around in a town or hideout), that makes a big difference in a game where oneshots are rampant.

I have actually, in global 1 and 2. Yes its multiple people but there are also a handful of people spamming the whole chat.

Which still comes back to the issue, the spambot war is rough. Do you honestly think GGG doesn't have some sort of script in place to help with this? Have you seen the amount of the spambots in other free MMORPG's get in their chat? It's fucking gross. Companies deal with it the best they can so throwing around 'ban IP from China' (Pretty sure they can just use a Proxy/VPN to bypass it anyway) isn't really going to help anyone.
"Welcome to path of exile, where the rules are made up and the mods don't matter."

Free to play model = optional support = supporter titles = gamifying purchases = gotta catch em all = $$$$
"
Raxik wrote:
"

What you need to do is simply make ignored people's/bot's messages in chat disappear after you click ignore.

I never understood why their messages remain to taint my chat after I click ignore... so I basicly welcome people spamming dots, make my chat go clear instead of flashbangy.

If you would make bot msg disappear as soon as people click ignore, like chats usually work nowadays, you'd get rid of dots.

try using /clear , it works wonders
Spreading salt since 2006
"
Necromael wrote:
"
Raxik wrote:
"

try using /clear , it works wonders

It works wonders just as the dots work - it clears chat.

You didn't get my point - I don't want clear chat, I want spammer's msg alone to disappear without losing previous msg, especially if mid discussion(s).
My suggestion to make spambots less effective is to make it so that accounts (or perhaps even each character) are unable to chat in global until act 1 normal is completed. That takes what, 30 minutes, maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more? Spammers will think twice if they have to actually play part of the game. Their return against time spent will be harder to realize.
Rose: You're an alien? You sound like you're from the North.
Doctor: LOTS of planets have a North!!!
"
Dacar92 wrote:
My suggestion to make spambots less effective is to make it so that accounts (or perhaps even each character) are unable to chat in global until act 1 normal is completed. That takes what, 30 minutes, maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more? Spammers will think twice if they have to actually play part of the game. Their return against time spent will be harder to realize.

This is actually not a bad idea,almost all online games that have global chat rooms of any sort,have some sort o blocking mechanism for new/low level characters and/or accounts.

P.S. i get the occasional reason for joining default trade channels,but why would anyone join the global ones? It always was just a spamfest room for tryhards and wannabes,now take into account that we have Russians here as well,it's even a bigger mess than it was.
No rest for the wicked.
"
Dacar92 wrote:

Take my upvote on that. That's a great idea. If any legitimate new players are trying to ask for help on global, could always have a message displayed to them when they try to chat. Say something along the lines of, "For questions or help, please refer to "http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki" or the official Path of Exile Forums located at "https://www.pathofexile.com/forum"
Combat is simple.
Keep your blood in.
Take theirs out.
"
Dacar92 wrote:

Good thinking and suggestion but that will never happen, sadly. I remember GGG commenting on that.

One of GGG's biggest fear is to scare noobs away. Noobs have a lot of questions concerning the game and if they are handicapped in a way that they can't communicate properly they'll just be pissed off and leave. New players take way more than an hour to complete act 1 too.

That's why they don't make it so you need to be level 2+ to chat either.

Maybe the character limit could be smaller for low level players? Like 3 lines of text max maybe. They'd still spam whatever they want but it would be less annoying.

They could shadow mute posts containing RMT websites or very obvious things. Bots wouldn't know for a while and they'd keep going even though no one sees their shit.
"
Raxik wrote:
"

1) General question: What is dots?
2) In addition to hiding text from ignored people, if 40 or so people Ignore a person that person should be automatically reported for deeper inspection in to their activities.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Sep 8, 2016, 4:31:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info