The Dot spam and Bots

Dots, RMT spam, it matters not to me.

All people have to do is change from "dots" to something less direct.

So if you type a dot, stop and instead type "I like the weather" or "Hats are a funny thing"

The more random the better, this way you are not spamming and you quickly remove the RMT spam off the screen.

Win/win

It does seem odd that GGG has taken an aggressive stance against the players and a pro-RMT spam stance on this one though, which is odd.

I've never seen a gaming company so pro-RMT spam before.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Making all kinds of gains.
I have read every post on this topic. I still can't fathom how dots are "idiocy and disruptive to chat" since global chat is mainly idiocy and disruptive blather. If you ask a question in chat, 10 harambe or "your mother" insults ar hurled before an answer can be found although the answer will often be " go to wiki or googl you fucking noob". Yes let's protect this vital flow of mind excrement. The dots have corrupted this sacred communication form.

My guess from a mod POV is that dot spam pushes the rat garbage out of the screen tooō fast and that makes the mods work a bit harder to scroll back to ban it. If that is the case I get it. They work hard to ban stuff. It makes it harder.

But the quick minds of gamers have given many options and a few macros that print typical global mind vomit would solve it and be impossible to call spam. Ctrl-alt 5 " my butt is soaking wet from sitting in this crappy chair playing this game for six hours" would not be spam. It's pure global chat gold. But as a macro I could send it immediately and clear the huge block of white garbage that is making a part of my screen deadly to walk in and prevent me from gettin one-shotted by a regen extra life crit heavy mamba.

Carl-alt 6 " my hands are numb and my face is greasy from fatty snacks but I just can't stop playing this fucking awesome game"

Not spam but again global chat magic.
1 dot is NOT spam.
A single . is not spam.
How a dot can get you a 24 hour ban is just astoundingly absurd to me, GGG has filters so I honestly don't see why they didn't just add a filter for when a dot is sent that there'd be a message saying:
Although it might be used in good intentions, GGG does not want you to use dots to hide a message.

I got 24 hour muted too for it and I'm still confused on how they think that's even remotely justified.

Also in defense of the dot 'spam', spam by its definition is stupid pointless annoying messages.
How can anyone consider a dot a stupid pointless annoying message if it hides a nasty large advertisement blocking your view which's much more annoying than a dot ever will be (thus making the dot desired or at least neutral), disqualifying it from the definition of spam?
Not to mention it's not pointless because it has the noble objective to hide a spam message for everyone playing the game that's being view blocked by it.
Last edited by Tormented_Spirit on Sep 21, 2016, 6:13:56 PM
Yeah, got myself a 24 hour mute for a single dot. No first warning or anything. This actually pissed me off so much that im not gonna get new supporter packs.
Last edited by Fuglen on Sep 22, 2016, 2:20:15 AM
I really hope all of the people that cop a 24hr mute for posting a fucking full stop don't spend any money on your game. If you had just given out hour mutes for dot spamming (and let people know why they were muted) you would have fixed the problem, 24 hours is excessive and interferes with people trying to do rotas to level their master's up.

Bad form GGG.

edit: I had my mute reduced to 12hrs so I could do my rotas, it's worth sending an email to support if you feel you were muted unfairly.
Last edited by Moistmoistmoist on Sep 22, 2016, 4:17:41 AM
E-mail to support did nothing for me. Had to sit it out. Still pissed lol :)
"
Shppy wrote:
Do you not realize that the reason people do the dot thing is not so that the spambots get muted/banned or anything, it's so that they can get the wall text the hell off of their screens. It's a hell of a lot less disruptive to have a bunch of "." at the very left edge of my screen than having a spambot or flashbang post lingering for a while taking up the lower-left 1/4 of my screen. Banning them quickly doesn't make the text they've already sent any less disruptive, but 'dotting' them does.

And while I know /clear works as well, it takes a lot more keystrokes than a simple typing of '.' while many other people do the same (and if you're actually in the middle of playing the game, that matters a lot). Maybe if we could keybind chat commands in-game (instead of having to use an outside program like AHK) people would just use that instead, but we can't right now, so we've gotta work within our means.

Know what would really help though? If you guys could auto-filter out repetitive text cycles. There's no reasonable usage of the chat system that would necessitate repeating the same single character or words/lines of text over and over again in a single post (or even in multiple rapid posts within the same chatroom), and pre-emptively stopping those messages from being displayed would stop damn near all the spam that people hate and use 'dotting' against.

This.

"
It does seem odd that GGG has taken an aggressive stance against the players and a pro-RMT spam stance on this one though, which is odd.

I've never seen a gaming company so pro-RMT spam before.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This.

And everyone else forgive me if I didn't read 12 pages but I'm still throwing up every now and then since I've found out white knights and GGG consider a dot a distruptive behaviour, unlike the majority of the chat (which is supposedly the one damaged by said spam).

Sorry for the necromancy, I'm going to go to deal with my nausea.
/oos
I don't use global chat. Or trade chat. BUT: I've read this thread out of curiosity, and one thing becomes VERY clear:

Before GGG bans people for "dot'ing", they have to remove the REASON behind WHY they are "dot'ing". Don't treat the symptoms, treat the cause.

Nuff said.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Sep 23, 2016, 12:07:36 AM
"
The Support team gets rid of spambots in-game within a few seconds of their first line of spam, so there's actually no need to spam chat with full stops in order to "combat" the spammers as they're already gone.

The full stops are very disruptive to chat: they do constitute as spam, and if you spam chat then your account may be muted.

does mods remove spam msg fro mchat or just ban spammer?

Also it is fun that "." spam is now "not a dot" spam lol
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info