WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem

Did I understand this correctly, Wolcen will not be open world as originally announced?

If that is correct my interest in Wolcen just bombed. I was so much hoping that this would be the game to fill the gap left behind by my beloved Sacred 1 and 2 games as the next great open world ARPG.

Oh well, I guess I'll still be keeping an eye on Wolcen, but it'll be a much less keen eye.
From what i have seen, wolcen will end up the same way as poe, overcomplicated skillsystem but the endresult isn´t realy diverse. Wolcens skillwheel has hundrets of nodes which only give like 5+ strength, so pointless.
Some sort of melee/caster or melee/summoner won´t be in any way effective. If you want to play melee you eventually have to specc into whats it callled Gladiator/Berserk, be alone for duellwielding 2hands.
You have a skillbar for 8 skills, but people already spamming 1 ability, much like in poe.

Charakter building is like the only thing thats realy important for me in an arpg, i realy dont understand why not a single arpg get´s that right.
I can remember, when i started poe, how i tried to build a deathknight, meleeing with minions, but it was so bad.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
Pwnzors87 wrote:
From what i have seen, wolcen will end up the same way as poe, overcomplicated skillsystem but the endresult isn´t realy diverse. Wolcens skillwheel has hundrets of nodes which only give like 5+ strength, so pointless..

This is completely wrong. No node gives just stat bonuses -- none. You get ten stat points every level and how you allocate those dramatically changes how your character is built. The Wheel itself is far more intuitive and clean than the Skilldrasil ever was, with designated class areas and nodes that make sense within those class areas.

Please stick to talking about games you know something about.

I promise you it will be like that. Let alone how the basic stats work, forocity gives + meleedmg, agility +rangeddmg and willpower +spelldmg. This incentives you to put all your stats into either one of it.
The skillwheel has nodes like + 10% melee dmg, again this also incentives to put evrything into one archetype. Nobody will do a 50%/50% distribution, it doesnt make sense.

The skillwheel isnt better than what poe does, basicly if i want 2 classes within the same circle, i have to start from the center, picking stuff i don´t even want.
In my opinnion, evry kind of tree is inherently bad, because you are forced to skill a path.
If poe would decide to let you pick what you want, builddiversity would explode.

Although i havent played wolcen jet, it isnt hard to see that it will be your standart melee/caster/ranged charakter.
Don't waste time arguing with above poster, you won't make them see simple things.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Do you really think this game will 'make it' though? Sure, graphics wise it looks nice but it's been in development for ages and has to compete with good ARPGs like PoE, Grim Dawn etc. which already have a fuckton of content. From what I'm seeing this game has some interesting concepts but who's to say it doesn't fade into obscurity, never to be finished?
I'm in the "cautiously optimistic" camp.

The caution comes from noting that a fair number of skills spray visual effects all over. I like to see the action in an ARPG, as well as the visual effects, and it's always a challenge to balance. Also, AI for mobs is rudimentary. In addition, the skill wheel is very interesting and I like the room it affords for creativity. But, it seems likely to be very difficult to balance well; likely a small percentage of combinations will be quite a bit more powerful relative to others.

I find the management of rage / umbra an interesting challenge now, while it's still novel. But, I think for a fair number of builds one or more skills end up being pretty much just a "clicky" way to dump the resource that provides less utility to get more of the other one.

I say the above based on trying ranged casters and finding that rage was just something that slowed down casting, rather than a resource I wanted to accumulate. If the resources had distinct roles (ie: one resource buffed / healed, the other did damage / offered CC), or there was some way to accumulate both and use them in combination at times, then it might be easier to ensure both resources had value for all builds.

On the other hand, the game is undeniably fun to play. It takes talent and good judgment for that to happen and hopefully both continue to be applied well, going forward.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
"

They have pictures of their office. I wonder now they dream to be big like GGG and sell their company... which is perfectly natural but .... I don't now.
September.. beta is released.

I might wait untill then.

As an offshoot to this, multiplayer will be introduced. Anyone keen to form a gaming group, or are we all hard core ssf type players?

Cheers,
Matt.
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
"

They have pictures of their office. I wonder now they dream to be big like GGG and sell their company... which is perfectly natural but .... I don't now.

Did you see the before and after staff shots? Their numbers have at least doubled. Thats a good sign i think.

Cheers,
Matt.
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
I much prefer co-op to solo (still plenty of solo time though), I'd be up for trying some multiplayer whenever that's released. Could be fun. Incentive enough for me to give it a start pre-release, haha.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info