WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem

I played it a couple of times. In my opinion it is not ready for playing yet, at all.

It is still very lacking in many basic elements, in other words incomplete. For example everytime i played i quit because the first quest after leaving town was bugged in major ways and i never managed to complete it, lacked proper map and such.

But the game is very promising, have had my eyes on it for a very long time, they have some very solid ideas - although my one big concern is that it is more of a single player game than an online experience like poe.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Aug 31, 2016, 4:15:05 PM
Hi Antigegner and sorry for the lack of response i got really busy with some IRL stuff + working on league's start i havn't organized notes or anything yet and havn't played much more.

I think my opinion is really near the Crackmonster's one the game is a bit too young yet and still really promising.
About multiplayer plans i'm not sure yet.

If you enjoy following alpha games along their dev i would recommend to give it a try it's seems they are releasing updates often yet and that you could enjoy the game. Still a short run for now :)
Since i don't really know what you are expecting the most in an ARPG it's a bit hard to give you something really accurate maybe you can just wait a bit more for now if you arn't sure.

About the tree it's more like Grim dawn from what i see but they said they wanted to rework it, havn't read what were their plans yet.

Helio
Hf :)
thx for info mate!
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
I'm releasing my wallet. This is going to be incredible
Posted by SolarFall Games (Creator)
Hi everyone !

In today’s devblog, we are going to talk about one of our most awaited feature: multiplayer and the play online mode. A lot of work have been done in the past few months on the network side of Wolcen and we are now ready to give you an overview of what we have today, some of the features that are currently being worked on and what you can expect to see released in the upcoming months.

In the upcoming weeks, we will be releasing what we call the “Play Online mode” on the beta branch. In this mode, you will have the same experience as when you were playing offline but your save files will be stored on our server to avoid cheating and you will have access to online-exclusive features ! Just to be clear, we are not talking about coop here!

Introducing the Daily Dungeon

The Daily Dungeon is a feature that will only be available in the play online mode and that could be summed up as “Randomly generated dungeon with a speedrun twist”.
Everyday, a randomly generated dungeon will be available to all players. This generated dungeon will be different from the random dungeon you have access through the bounty NPC and will be the same for every players.
Your goal is to find the boss room and exit of the dungeon as fast as possible while crushing everything in your way. Your performance will be scored by a combination of time and monster killed and displayed in a leaderboard. At the end of the day, the player with the best score will receive a special reward.

We think daily dungeons offer a new and interesting way to play Wolcen mixing grinding, speedrun and indirect player vs. player.

We cannot wait to hear your feedbacks regarding the Daily Dungeon and see what crazy builds you come up with.

Multiplayer

Now… onto the question on everyone’s lips : where is co-op multiplayer ?
So there is no misunderstanding: the play online mode, isn’t co-op multiplayer. You won’t be able to play with your friends with its release.
Unfortunately, multiplayer isn’t ready yet. However, the play online mode is the first step on the long road toward playing in the same game with your friends.
Before we can allow multiple players to join the same game, we have to develop a number of networking systems that will synchronise the player’s data. To do that, those data have to be stored on our servers so we can send to you, for example, the characters of the friends you are playing with.
This is what the Play Online mode is all about : lay the foundations on which the multiplayer but also all our online ecosystem will be built on.
This game mode is opening a lot of opportunity for us to make new features like the daily dungeon we mentioned above. It will also allow us to start implementing technical features invisible for our players like telemetry so we can have statistics about the game, the skills and builds you are using and a lot of various data we will be using for balancing.

What’s next ?

In the upcoming months, we will be working on improving server performances, fixing network related bugs, scaling up our networking infrastructure to support more concurrent players and developing all the systems required for multiplayer.

Of course, we will still be working on improving the game in general, adding content and new features to keep you guys busy ;)

Here is an incomplete, non exhaustive, in no particular order list of the things you will be seing added to the games in the next months :

A brand new quest system with a new UI that will allow us to start implementing the first act of the game and introduce in-game cinematics
New sections of the passive skill tree
New skills in the active skill tree
New ennemis, boss and AI behaviors
New weapons, armors and items
And much more…
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
With this, i'm gaining confidence that they will make this work multiplayer which was always my fear that it would not. I even emailed them a long time ago to convince them that they should add it, and so many on the forums also kept asking for it. Glad they listened.

This is great news. Great news.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 6, 2017, 6:24:03 PM
So they're wasting resources spending time on the online/server aspect, which is just going to delay the release of the actual game? The ones asking for online, are just asking a small team to spread their already thin resources even thinner.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 6, 2017, 7:48:23 PM
Actualy playing it again an hour or two per weeks i'm amazed of the quality work they provided since last time.

I'm sure we will hear about this game often in a near futur ! :)

Staying on first opinion aswell, hardly possible to get the same feeling than in PoE yet.
Hf :)
Multiplayer will actually ensure more funds to develop the game in the long run.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 6, 2017, 7:56:34 PM
"
Morgoth2356 wrote:
For anyone wondering "Wolcen" was previously named "Umbra" (we had a pretty big post about that game going on here last year). I don't know why they changed their name since the game was kickstarted as "Umbra" and people knew about a ARPG named "Umbra" being under developement. Legal issues maybe ?

I bought it not realising it was the same game till later.I was actually checking up on how Umbra was doing and then realised I already own it.

"

So they're wasting resources spending time on the online/server aspect, which is just going to delay the release of the actual game? The ones asking for online, are just asking a small team to spread their already thin resources even thinner.

I think online is a big plus for games these days.Often see people bugging developers when there is no online.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info