WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I strongly feel this will get there. Lots of Dev updates. And man, no hate towards GGG but it's nice to pay once, forever, for a really good arpg. Grim Dawn is great but it's too close to titty quest, which I play on this tablet every day.

While Grim Dawn is the spirtual successor to Titty Quest, I personally feel it is more at home with Diablo 2 with how grim it is. The setting with Titty Quest never really gripped me enough to play much, just under ten hours. Grim Dawn already is catching up to Diablo 3 (which I clocked like about five hundred hours or so) in terms of playtime, but I am not sure it will ever catch up to good ole PoE. Grim Dawn's upcoming major expansion might get me close to 1k hours.

I can see Wolcen ( I kinda miss the name Umbra) being a great ARPG, but I hope it is not all graphics and focuses a lot in the gameplay, which both Grim Dawn and PoE excels at.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 17, 2017, 1:39:17 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
See I really dig the ancient world epic, even if it's really loose and fast. Zombies post apoc, not my thing.

And the gameplay of Wolcen is solid so far. Very satisfying combat. And it has environmental interaction. Fire is doused by water, etc.

Got to blame dem aetherials, cthonians (based on cthulhu), and rift spawners for making the every day life in Cairn, a grim dawn. lol

I will wait for Wolcen to pan out next year or the year after before giving it a shot.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jul 17, 2017, 2:48:59 AM
Ahhh, the Charan has entered :))

Really promising game but as you say it's really alpha as well, up until very recently it was hardly playable due to lags and stuff and whatever, until then i quit every time i tried because the first quest bugged and i never got past it. Still, you really get the sense that it is a diamond in the rough. The quality of things is just extremely high and one day when they get around to getting it finishing it could become something very special..

I also remember earlier on i was salivating over their whole mindset and attitude towards the game and i have great expectations of them also turning the gameplay into something great, i can't remember what it was i just remember thinking these devs have the right ideas. Saying things like they are not afraid to take the best elements of past and current ARPG's like the flask system from PoE in order to make the best game possible.

But we all know to be careful with our expectations, so in time we will see!

Oh and about that rotating wheel that someone commented on, it's been in game a long time already, but it's only the 2 first layers of the rings, there are 4 or 5 rings in total with the last currently blank. And the mutation system isn't even in yet. Clearly the balance is also way off, but all of that isn't to be expected until much later stages of development so i'll just wait and see.

Been watching this game for a long time. Over 2 years ago i sent them an email with concerns and urged them to make the game multiplayer, no p2w etc, and some other concerns like backer having in-game bonuses, below is what they replied(and 1-1½ year later they announced they will make it multiplayer too):

"
Hi Crackmonster,

I understand your concerns. Here is the status about exclusive armors, weapons and pet skins.

The bonus effects of the weapon will only apply on the single player mod.
As you may have notice, our game is currently designed for solo play only, since we want multiplayer to be a stretch goal. So far, there is no concern to have.
Now, if we break to the multiplayer mode, here is what will happen:

Pet skins are only about better design, effects and animations, so it won't change anything with multiplayer.
About Armors and Weapons, the bonus effects will only be usable in solo (no-ladder) play.
The visual effects applied to armors and weapons will remains, since they don't change the gameplay.

Hope it answer your question. Let me know if you have other questions :)
Cheers,
Daniel
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 17, 2017, 6:44:08 AM
I am really questioning if I should buy this game now..I want to know if it has a lot of replay value like Path of Exile..Does anyone recommend the game at its current state and price? I don't want to invest $20 into a game I won't like or that doesn't have enough replay value. Also, is the game easier than Path of Exile or harder?
(Steam)MickeyDankMouse
(PSN)MickeyDankMouse
(Xbox)MickeyDankMouse
-MickeyDankMouse-
Gotta say it looks pretty nice for an alpha, an unusual amount of polish in some places too, like the leech effects.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
鬼殺し wrote:
It's gorgeous. I marvel at it, really.

Every new skill I get, I have to burn the book just to see it.

I've figured out the wheel and it's so clever. There is a LOT more character flexibility to Wolcen than PoE. You take a basic class path to the second ring, and then rotate to the one you want. The second right, before rotating, is an advanced version of the first. But they must remain connected for it to work, so you can't just allocate points here and there. So I started as ranger for crits and speed, rotated to elementalist for fire spells. Voila, Charan.

With five rings, this could really explode the number of genuinely different classes.

And the tree has no basic stat nodes. They're allocated more like Diablo, thank God. So every node is notable and feels worth taking.

I recently grabbed one that causes a field of fire to form around me the more I cast fire spells. It's brutal and gorgeous.

And I like how skills level. They level as you do and as you read the same book. Hit a certain threshold and you can choose one of two support like effects. Hit another, do it again. Its part d3 rune, part PoE skill building. And you can swap them on the fly. My fave so far is conflagration (incinerate/burning hands) at level 5 has an upgrade where you use both hands, changing the animation and widening the cone. Awesome.

On the other hand, found another shitty bug that forced me to redo a boss for his quest drop. Mind you, he was a lot easier second time because like I said, I figured out the wheel. So fucking potent.

I love this game.

Meanwhile in PoE, I have to fork 80c for a Tidebreaker if I want to play physical CoMK properly in 2w event :)

Looks promising indeed, I don't usually go for these early support campaigns but I'm seriously thinking of it this time, they seem enthusiastic enough about making an engaging and polished game.

Last edited by raics on Jul 19, 2017, 6:56:35 AM
Currently i think the wheel isn't actually working as it eventually will and you can access the sections you want without it needing to be connected(though i think you need to be connected when you first take the points?) - if it isn't like that anymore then they changed it recently.

Same as full respecs(skill points, attributes) are absolutely free, etc.

I think it's that way for now to allow people to test more freely since it is alpha and all and one day it will take on its true form!

Very early stages right now.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Jul 19, 2017, 7:11:02 AM

"0 fucks given."
Neden yaşıyorsun?
"
Jideament wrote:
"0 fucks given."

Probably CI pathfinder.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
This may be the buy to play PoE we never got. It has that level of potential.

Now, Charan, you know I'm saying this with the bestest of intentions behind it. Knowing your track record I'd be extremely careful of overhyping myself if I were you, I know it's fun but even a mild disappointment can sometimes spoil the bunch.

On the bright side, it's hard to really regret spending 20$ even if you're a thirdworldie which you aren't.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info