Detailed Atlas Mechanics

So two things spring to mind for me.

- You don't seem to have clarified what happens to Atlas progression at the end of a challenge league. I would assume it's rolled over into standard, but confirmation would be nice.

- As others have said, the current explanation and resultant understanding of how the Atlas works suggests you can buy a map and prevent low (or "bad") maps from dropping. Even if GGG have considered this and are okay with how it works, I have a concern;

I would have expected that the best rewards come from completing all content; that doing all maps at least once would be encouraged. The Atlas seems to do exactly the opposite, and in a very unnatural way. I like it when content has a beginning, a middle and an end yet it sounds like Atlas of Worlds is all about beginning in the middle and never even entering 50+% of maps.

tl;dr: It sounds like AoW incentivises not doing content. That is... weird.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
"
DerDave wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
For the most part, the map drop system works the same as before. The new rule is that the maps that can drop are from the following groups:

Maps you've previously completed in this league (including on other characters).
Maps that are connected to the one you're playing on the Atlas.
Tier 1 maps.

When a map drops, its tier is entirely unchanged by the choice of which maps you have unlocked so far. Unlocking more maps doesn't change how many of a specific tier you receive (but increases the number of different maps that you see at that tier).

When I saw the first announcment of the Altas I was so hyped and thought we get rid of this "every map drops everywhere" bullsh*t. Now it turns out, that everything stays the same and we'll still see useless low tier maps drop in red maps.

Tier 1's (to start at different locations or with twinks) would be perfectly fine but "Maps you've previously completed" means basically "each map" at some point in the league.

Why not stick to the idea that only connected maps and the map itself can drop in a given map?
Only +1, same tier or -1 whould have been so nice ... :(

P.S.: The first rule for map drops "each map completed can drop" might even cause big problems, because I for myself and maybe a lot of others players will simply avoid completing low tier maps (or at least bad layout) just to remove them from the pool of potentially dropped maps.
If I complete only T12-16 maps I would be absolutely save from T2-T10 maps ever dropping...

Yes exactly what Iam thinking about ...
It seems as complicated current system.

Why not stick to the idea that only connected maps and the map itself can drop in a given map?
Only +1, same tier or -1 whould have been so nice

That might be perfect and maps would be nontradeables

Iam curious about risk/reward/redesigned map layout/system too ...
"
Filousov wrote:
I think unlocking T15 map will unlock whole path from the T15 to nearest start location. Don't expect that you will be able to just cherry pick your beloved speed maps. :-)

sure you will, you will just have to go from T1 to T15, 1 map per tier up to tier 15.....you can unlock 3 maps in tier 13 for example if layout is good, and if you think it is worth it
"
acme_myst wrote:
Jezus Christ, this is Chris' response to the abusability (posted on reddit):

"
Chris wrote:

You'd miss out on the map drop rate bonus from those uncompleted maps.

Also, this is a "game" :P

Intended then, I guess. Fuck this.

that quote from Chris......sigh

first of all 100% map drop bonus rate is not even close to getting twice as many maps and second of all what good does it bring if you get maps you don't want to play. Is it not better for example to get 5 maps that you want to play than maybe 8 maps total with increased map bonus out of which 6 you don't want to play and 2 that you do?

"
BoondockSaint wrote:
"
acme_myst wrote:
Jezus Christ, this is Chris' response to the abusability (posted on reddit):

"
Chris wrote:

You'd miss out on the map drop rate bonus from those uncompleted maps.

Also, this is a "game" :P

Intended then, I guess. Fuck this.

that quote from Chris......sigh

first of all 100% map drop bonus rate is not even close to getting twice as many maps and second of all what good does it bring if you get maps you don't want to play. Is it not better for example to get 5 maps that you want to play than maybe 8 maps total with increased map bonus out of which 6 you don't want to play and 2 that you do?

lol, what? 100% more is exactly the same as twice as much. The map drop bonus is multiplicative to other increasements.
It also seems that Legacy maps are a noob trap for STD players.

"
If you complete a legacy map, then it'll unlock an equivalent map of the same tier as well as all the maps leading up to that map. This allows you to catch up with your Atlas progress quickly.

Using them will definitely unlock all the maps leading to their positing increasing your map pool drop by a lot.

This is something people with multiple accounts can take real advantage of, running the leagacy maps on one account to unlock the path to red maps, dropping new reds and using them on one other to get the extremely targeted map pool.

My guess is that at the end of the league, the more advanced Atlas will go to STD and the challenges will probably be focused on completing it so a regular league player will never be able to optimize his STD Atlas at all.
My hype levels are exceeding!
"the 2.4.0 release will drastically change everything you know about the end-game. It contains the upcoming system that has me the most excited."

-Chris Wilson, Dev Q&A, July 4 2016

Can someone explain me cuz im stupid, HOW exactly Atlas will change end game??? I cant see any good changes so far, or at least not "drastically change everything you know about the end-game."
They are trying to slow down progress in mapping, anything other new? Same map drop system, just restrictions to the drops. Well i'm not excited, hope to be wrong
Last edited by Joleco on Aug 24, 2016, 10:47:30 AM
"
BoondockSaint wrote:
"
Filousov wrote:
I think unlocking T15 map will unlock whole path from the T15 to nearest start location. Don't expect that you will be able to just cherry pick your beloved speed maps. :-)

sure you will, you will just have to go from T1 to T15, 1 map per tier up to tier 15.....you can unlock 3 maps in tier 13 for example if layout is good, and if you think it is worth it

I mean when the map unlock will happen by buying the map, using it and completing it. (BTW: If they don't have implemented it like this, I think they are just baking up big problems for themselves needlessly).
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
This is REALLY cool! Complicated mechanics but explained well between the initial post and the Beginner Guide. So excited to check it out!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info