Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support DONE!!!!!

"
AceNightfire wrote:
"
Xtorma wrote:
So let me see if I understand this correctly. An arpg can have traps, but it can't be all about traps. So if an arpg becomes more about traps then it becomes about killing monsters, Then it becomes another genre, and can no longer be called an arpg?

It's the perceived focus that matters (in my opinion of course). If players have the feeling the content is more focused around traps then killing stuff, then the traps are the defining feature of the lab and aRPG never had a focus on traps. If, however, players feel like killing stuff is the primary focus of the lab, then this is the defining feature of the lab. Since there are dozens of threads complaing about the traps for several reasons, it is safe to say that for many players, the traps are the defining feature. They dont perceive the lab as an aRPG and more like a "plattformer"-game within poe.

So my personal conclusion is: Some players have the skills to easily rush through the lab. They dont perceive the traps as big hindrances and therefore dont care much for them. But it's still entertaining enough for them. Those players will usually dont perceive the trap-focus I have mentioned above. But those who dont like the traps - either because they lack the skill or because they find it boring - do perceive that trap-focus. In the end that means, for some this feels like classic poe with some traps, for others this feels like a completely different game/genre. And this could be the reason why it is so hard for lab-lovers to understand lab-haters: They perceive the lab in a completely different way.

So whether or not this game has turned into frogger is subjective.

Someone who likes the lab should go into it and do a trap to mob ratio, so we can see what ratio of traps constitute a game losing it's arpg title.
"
Xtorma wrote:

Someone who likes the lab should go into it and do a trap to mob ratio, so we can see what ratio of traps constitute a game losing it's arpg title.

It's not the whole game, part of it. Not seeing the ARPG debate really, we can call PoE whatever we want, does not matter to me what genre it is as long as I am killing monsters in numbers, take the loot and virgins. The lab part of PoE does not have the PoE feeling to me at all hence me being on the "lab haters" side so to speak. I am talking about traps here and people calling this part of game frogger and mario do have some base to do so. You must see at least some resemblance here, right? Jumping from one place to another, trying to avoid things coming at you and waiting in spots for occasion to run. And that is basically it.
Strangely, I like the Izaro fight even with traps. They do add to the difficulty there and keep you on your toes but there's the difference, I actually fight something. I battle a badass boss and that is where my joy of playing PoE comes from - having a go at monsters and swimming in their blood (no swimming expansion for PoE please).

I AM MAD
ZAP!ZAP!ZAP! ME SOOO WIZZARD!
"
Xtorma wrote:
"
AceNightfire wrote:
"
Xtorma wrote:
So let me see if I understand this correctly. An arpg can have traps, but it can't be all about traps. So if an arpg becomes more about traps then it becomes about killing monsters, Then it becomes another genre, and can no longer be called an arpg?

It's the perceived focus that matters (in my opinion of course). If players have the feeling the content is more focused around traps then killing stuff, then the traps are the defining feature of the lab and aRPG never had a focus on traps. If, however, players feel like killing stuff is the primary focus of the lab, then this is the defining feature of the lab. Since there are dozens of threads complaing about the traps for several reasons, it is safe to say that for many players, the traps are the defining feature. They dont perceive the lab as an aRPG and more like a "plattformer"-game within poe.

So my personal conclusion is: Some players have the skills to easily rush through the lab. They dont perceive the traps as big hindrances and therefore dont care much for them. But it's still entertaining enough for them. Those players will usually dont perceive the trap-focus I have mentioned above. But those who dont like the traps - either because they lack the skill or because they find it boring - do perceive that trap-focus. In the end that means, for some this feels like classic poe with some traps, for others this feels like a completely different game/genre. And this could be the reason why it is so hard for lab-lovers to understand lab-haters: They perceive the lab in a completely different way.

Like I said: My conclusion for now is that the ratio isn't that important. What's important is how players feel like and what they perceive as the focus when doing the lab. Even if we do count monsters/traps now, there will be people agreeing that this ratio does indicate a trap focus, while others will say it isn't.

But I think the lab-defenders should accept that lab-haters obviously perceive the lab focus in a completely different way then the lab-defenders.
"
gathor wrote:
"
Xtorma wrote:

It's not the whole game, part of it. Not seeing the ARPG debate really, we can call PoE whatever we want, does not matter to me what genre it is as long as I am killing monsters in numbers, take the loot and virgins. The lab part of PoE does not have the PoE feeling to me at all hence me being on the "lab haters" side so to speak. I am talking about traps here and people calling this part of game frogger and mario do have some base to do so. You must see at least some resemblance here, right? Jumping from one place to another, trying to avoid things coming at you and waiting in spots for occasion to run. And that is basically it.
Strangely, I like the Izaro fight even with traps. They do add to the difficulty there and keep you on your toes but there's the difference, I actually fight something. I battle a badass boss and that is where my joy of playing PoE comes from - having a go at monsters and swimming in their blood (no swimming expansion for PoE please).

Exactly! fighting Izaro is great fun. It is ARPG gameplay. The focus is on Izaro not traps. It is arpg gameplay with traps. The rest of the labyrinth though is irritating, boring, tedious, and not fun because of the trap gameplay, which makes it more like Frogger or Mario than wonderful PoE gameplay that I love. I note here that this was a comparison of labyrinth to Frogger was made by an experienced gamer.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Well, you know. As long as you can nit-pick irrelevant details, the entire argument automatically fails, amirite? It basically boils down to the people who like Lab can't let people who don't have a game where they don't have to do things they don't like--except that was entirely the case until Lab. Then I have some punkass kid trying to say he knows games better than I do while using a Straw Man fallacy to make said claim? Bullshit. Since he has nothing of value to add to any conversation he's in, and he's possibly just an alt of Fruz (sounds just like him), he's the 2nd person to make it to my ignore list.

But I still think it's funny that Lab defenders can't address this point.

"
It's ironic that they don't want to split the player base across several leagues (all of whom would be actively playing), but they are okay with something like this which splits the player base between people who play and people who won't.

Seems like GGG doesn't even know what to do about this, and they just want to sweep it under the rug like everything is okay. It's not.
Tired of trolls? Ignore them.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1473168
I skipped the last pages but omg so much nonsense it's ridiculous.

Path of Exile is a GAME.
People wanting to fit it into their own definitions of what a game should be is ridiculous and pathetic at best.

Path of Exile is game and is what it is, period.
People here have absolutely no right to claim what it should or should not be, none.

PS : PoE has only cities ( and ho now ) as "safe" space until GGG decides that maybe a hord of monsters invades it or anything, Wraeclast is no safe place, deal with it.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
I skipped the last pages but omg so much nonsense it's ridiculous.

Path of Exile is a GAME.
People wanting to fit it into their own definitions of what a game should be is ridiculous and pathetic at best.

Path of Exile is game and is what it is, period.
People here have absolutely no right to claim what it should or should not be, none.

PS : PoE has only cities ( and ho now ) as "safe" space until GGG decides that maybe a hord of monsters invades it or anything, Wraeclast is no safe place, deal with it.

Everyone here has the absolute right to their own opinions. Whether that opinion is that labyrinth is fun or not fun. Even people that may wrongly think we don't have a right to our own opinions still can hold that opinion!
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
There is a difference between :
"I think that PoE would be better with x and y like this."

and

"Poe should have x and y like this"

( One could argue that the second one is just being a d**k though )
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Thank you for explaining.
"
Fruz wrote:
There is a difference between :
"I think that PoE would be better with x and y like this."

and

"Poe should have x and y like this"

( One could argue that the second one is just being a d**k though )

There is a difference between should and must. Only a very few people have said the lab MUST change. Most of the lab-haters they it SHOULD change, because poe is and was always about character progression and if you decide to add content with completely new gameplay, then at least make it optional, because you can never know if you coreplayerbase likes that new approach.

Let me explain: No one hates the lap itself, they only hate that they are forced to do it in order to progress with their characters. And not only once, you have to do it 4 times and each time (difficulty) it gets even more annoying for those who dont enjoy this gameplay. Now if there would be an alternative way to get your AC points (like fighting Izaro without having to do the whole trap-gameplay), no one would complain about the lab.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info