Why Labyrinth Gameplay is Irreparably Broken in Two Words

"
"
almostdead wrote:

Doesn't answer the question at all, although I agree that there should be no map.

If there's no map, then the layout needs to change for every new instance. Or else it only alienates players who don't use 3rd party sites.

Personally id say as a "labyrinth" not only is having a map wildly out of place but i would also suggest that each run should be an entirely different layout. If that changed though without any other changes oh good god the hate that would be brewin' lol.

My 2 words
Almost Right

I would have much rather seen mobs unique to the labyrinth rather than traps that block access points through your path. The keys, both gold and silver, fit the theme of the lab well imo and i think a system where the keys you need to progress are guarded by unique mobs would have done well. Ofc the key guardians would need to be randomized and have a variety of types that would spawn to keep the player on his toes. Something that would force the player to have a protocol, of sorts, for things that they might face which may press their build weaknesses. Not to the point of making it impossible/unreasonable for anyone, but enough that the player should be aware that many if not all of their own play mechanics could be checked. Maybe even make these mobs deal dmg as a fixed % of a players HP, like the traps, with certain moves, so that even if you build a gargantuan HP pool it might still take a fat dent on certain hits (obv tho pulling off this fine balance is 1000x easier said than done, but theres just so many more ways they could have implemented the purpose of traps without having the current traps as they are imo.)

For merciless lab and esp uber lab, i would have all mobs be either magic, rare, or the special uniques that block progression (similar to the runs between atziri fights, just with rares and the special uniques thrown in)

Overall the primary threats to your characters success in the lab should be the mobs that must be defeated to progress.

Now if you want to throw some traps in, they could still definitely work well as the "side" threat to a character. But their only purpose should be to make a player pay attention to where theyre going instead of brainlessly running to the next pack while minimap watching or something. With the only actual trap gauntlets leading to purely optional rooms if theyre there at all.
"
tkbowned wrote:
Whining about lab again? Common guys lab is so fun once you learn to play, just roll juggernaut and get skilled, i am running the lab right now, almost at last phase Izaro full key run about to get all that FAT LOOT and.....WAIT WHAT........

Hahaha oh man I had like 6 lab prophies going on and DC'd halfway through
Git R Dun!
"
StorminRH wrote:
I still don't understand why people complain so much about lab. If you want a challenge run it at/under level. I've ran it with about 3 HC characters this league before Dominus. It takes about an hour or so, full of butt clenching fun.

If you want to breeze through for easy ascendancy run it way over leveled. First build of the league or with characters I don't want to risk expensive gear on I will wait and run it a couple levels over. This allows you to focus on the traps.

It also gives players the option to boss/box farm with uber lab. I haven't started uber farming yet but I think I will at some point for fun, the RNG can really pay off in there.

For people complaining about disconnects you should probably run it at higher levels. With an un-optomized build I can run lab in about 15-20 minutes. If you happen to DC in that period of time the loss really isn't that bad. Also, I don't believe you can blame the game for disconnecting. In most cases it's your ISP and or other hardware issues on your end causing the problem, not POE.

Who cares if game or not causing DCs? Its game job to mitigate effects of it because everyone knows internet is imperfect technology..especially for those in third world or USA and has cox. hahaaaa

Seriously just add save points
Git R Dun!
going to drop my 2 chaos on this topic.

i used to be a lab hater until i got gud.

and no juggernaut involved.

i do uberlab on a 3.5k life ranger deadeye with reach fully buffed izaro first 2 stages barrage with a kintsugi and basalt flask , i can take one hit tops if at all thats it.

i take 2 instaheal lifeflasks with me i survive all the long traps with or without paying attention but honestly i dont like traps but who does , so adjust your flasks and gear not that hard come on.

then i shit over izaro tap run tap run tap run tap run tap tap tap go to chest loot my 4 chests as i tap tap run tap tap run with argus too.

i used to support the lab hate but now i wish for an even harder longer lab to piss even more people off.

if i can do it on a squishy lowlife char with 30-50k dps barrage nado while paying attention to the mechanics so can you.

and yes the chests have been probably nerfed hard , my best loot are midnights and certain divcards thus far nothing else.

also leapslam wot ? you must be trolling leapslam breaks labyrinth is a hilarious frogpost.
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
StorminRH wrote:
I still don't understand why people complain so much about lab. If you want a challenge run it at/under level. I've ran it with about 3 HC characters this league before Dominus. It takes about an hour or so, full of butt clenching fun.

If you want to breeze through for easy ascendancy run it way over leveled. First build of the league or with characters I don't want to risk expensive gear on I will wait and run it a couple levels over. This allows you to focus on the traps.

It also gives players the option to boss/box farm with uber lab. I haven't started uber farming yet but I think I will at some point for fun, the RNG can really pay off in there.

For people complaining about disconnects you should probably run it at higher levels. With an un-optomized build I can run lab in about 15-20 minutes. If you happen to DC in that period of time the loss really isn't that bad. Also, I don't believe you can blame the game for disconnecting. In most cases it's your ISP and or other hardware issues on your end causing the problem, not POE.

Who cares if game or not causing DCs? Its game job to mitigate effects of it because everyone knows internet is imperfect technology..especially for those in third world or USA and has cox. hahaaaa

Seriously just add save points

I think save points would work but it would also allow people to Alt+F4.

I understand that developing the game to not allow for Alt-F4 is basically impossible. I remember reading a dev post on the subject that stated identifying Alt+F4 from legit DC's is very difficult.

The lab presents a unique situation though, you can't Alt+F4 out. I really like that part of it. It's a small portion of the game where the player is required the complete the content or "fail". This comes with the drawback of if you DC you have to start over. I think the price is worth it, it's exciting different content that doesn't ruin the rest of the game by making every other boss/map reset on DC as well.

Save points would undermine that, and in my opinion take away from the challenging unique content. If it wasn't challenging, people wouldn't care if they had to start over.
IGN: StorminRH
Last edited by StorminRH on Jul 14, 2016, 7:30:45 PM
"
Kechop wrote:
going to drop my 2 chaos on this topic.

i used to be a lab hater until i got gud.

and no juggernaut involved.

i do uberlab on a 3.5k life ranger deadeye with reach fully buffed izaro first 2 stages barrage with a kintsugi and basalt flask , i can take one hit tops if at all thats it.

i take 2 instaheal lifeflasks with me i survive all the long traps with or without paying attention but honestly i dont like traps but who does , so adjust your flasks and gear not that hard come on.

then i shit over izaro tap run tap run tap run tap run tap tap tap go to chest loot my 4 chests as i tap tap run tap tap run with argus too.

i used to support the lab hate but now i wish for an even harder longer lab to piss even more people off.

if i can do it on a squishy lowlife char with 30-50k dps barrage nado while paying attention to the mechanics so can you.

and yes the chests have been probably nerfed hard , my best loot are midnights and certain divcards thus far nothing else.

also leapslam wot ? you must be trolling leapslam breaks labyrinth is a hilarious frogpost.

Thanks for the laugh, yall should git gud m8s

JK
Last edited by tkbowned on Jul 14, 2016, 7:27:33 PM
Stop being salty. Izaro doesnt need a nerf. He should be made harder.

I think getting your ascendency points should be a reward for powerful play rather than a pre-req f or builds.

make him 10x harder for all i care.

As for the traps. Just avoid them

leapslam? I dont use this, I use whirling blades as my only movement skill.

The issue is, There is not very much difficult content in PoE.

I'd like to see some stuff that is far harder than what we currently have.

t15 any combination of mods is a joke.
"
ShikiSakura wrote:
Stop being salty. Izaro doesnt need a nerf. He should be made harder.

I think getting your ascendency points should be a reward for powerful play rather than a pre-req f or builds.

make him 10x harder for all i care.

As for the traps. Just avoid them

leapslam? I dont use this, I use whirling blades as my only movement skill.

The issue is, There is not very much difficult content in PoE.

I'd like to see some stuff that is far harder than what we currently have.

t15 any combination of mods is a joke.

Let us roll map mods on top of lab, at the very least.
"
StorminRH wrote:

There is a subset of the playerbase who have these issues only at a certain instance in the laby (Domain walkways or just any area with Domain in the name). Wouldn't matter what level I run it at.

I can re-run it dozens of times but will DC at that zone every single run. Using the "--nosound" option seems to help, sometimes I'll just wait till the layout changes in hopes that zone isn't in the next layout. It's been like this since the laby was introduced.

Is it possible there is a hardware issue on my end? Sure. But isn't it also possible that there is a bug in the game/clients coding? Seems just as likely.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
StorminRH wrote:

There is a subset of the playerbase who have these issues only at a certain instance in the laby (Domain walkways or just any area with Domain in the name). Wouldn't matter what level I run it at.

I can re-run it dozens of times but will DC at that zone every single run. Using the "--nosound" option seems to help, sometimes I'll just wait till the layout changes in hopes that zone isn't in the next layout. It's been like this since the laby was introduced.

Is it possible there is a hardware issue on my end? Sure. But isn't it also possible that there is a bug in the game/clients coding? Seems just as likely.

It is possible. I'm just making an assumption that if it was problem affecting a large portion of the player base GGG would be more actively addressing the issue. Since it appears to be a minority (not to discredit their claims or frustration) I'm willing to bet the issues are originating on their end.

That being said I think you make a good point. The game should be optimized and stable across the board. That's a work in progress, I have faith things will continue to improve as they have over the years.
IGN: StorminRH

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info