Riddle Me This! *SOLVED*

is it Charan
"
kahzin wrote:
"
Aethroz wrote:
Can you clarify: "Not an NPC"
1-Not a Character in Path of Exile or Path of Exile Lore
2-Not a Character we interact with, aka not a NPC coded into the game.
3-Not a Person or being at all, coded or else

Also: it does have to do with PoE right? The answer isn't Cain as in Cain & Abel, or Abraham?

I don't really want to comment on this too much. The character does have to do with PoE. Just put two and two together. Let me summerize what we've got so far.

The riddle is obviously about an exile, but it's not about a NPC. I told you that the answer is a name, and you can find this name in the game, but not in the first act.

It has been said that the poem is very non specific for the most part. But it tells a very specific story about an exile. The best way to solve this riddle is to figure out the rest of the story that is told. Think about the questions 'where is he seeking rewards?' and 'why is he sentenced again?'.

NPC stands for not-player/playable character. For example Piety is considered an NPC, Dominus and Malachai the same, Doedre, Shavronne, Daresso etc in a4 are also NPCs all hostile but still NPCs, you interact with them even if shortly after the small talk/dialogue they attack you. Then there are the friendly NPCs and vendor NPCs.

So what we are looking for is a character that we cannot talk too, and while human/humanoid in nature its behaviour is more similar to a mob/monster's one aka no dialogue and instant hostility.

Having said that my other guess before the whole not-an-NPC thing was Cadiro Perandus who while not an exile by returning as a ghost of himself was fitting in some way.

After taking into account the rest ill make one last guess and say Deshret (the spirit we find at a4mines), even she too is not an exile her story could in some way fit with the poem.

Anyway ill be waiting to see the answer, it is quite fun to participate in this kind of things, though to be honest many of the guesses here already fit perfectly with the poem.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
I don't know if it has been solved yet.

My guess is the the very first enemy/zombie/fallen whatever it is you fight when you start the game. The one that you kill to get your first skill gem in twilight strand. (Sorry i don't know the enemy type off the top of my head).

The Riddle

Exiled for his crimes to a foreign land -- Potentially an exile that was converted to an enemy?
Beginning his path on a twilighted strand. -- Path starts on the twilight strand just like yours

Seeking rewards for him to survive -- The enemy is seen digging out the body looking for a reward/food in the starting game animations.
Now sentenced again to pay with his life. -- Paid once when exiled and again when killed by the player

First to fight, not ready to fall -- The first enemy you fight when you start the game also fights back
First to hear the executioner's call. -- First enemy you have to kill in order to progress (skill gem)
Last edited by Prizy on Jul 13, 2016, 1:03:56 PM
"
Regulator wrote:

Having said that my other guess before the whole not-an-NPC thing was Cadiro Perandus who while not an exile by returning as a ghost of himself was fitting in some way.

After taking into account the rest ill make one last guess and say Deshret (the spirit we find at a4mines), even she too is not an exile her story could in some way fit with the poem.

Anyway ill be waiting to see the answer, it is quite fun to participate in this kind of things, though to be honest many of the guesses here already fit perfectly with the poem.

I would consider both Cadiro Perandus and Dreshet NPCs.
Chitus?
http://www.twitch.tv/exhortatory
Dumping my thoughts hint-by-hint, since I've spent way more time pondering on this riddle than I'd care to admit. A few new possible tracks of thought here, at least in the sense that they haven't been mentioned in previous posts.

"
1) A player that only knows the first act cannot solve the riddle

I'm pretty sure this one doesn't carry any "hidden" content. Suffice to say it means you need to progress to at least to some point of Act II to have the necessary knowledge to solve the riddle. Also rules out Hillock, who would've been a pretty prime candidate otherwise.

"
2)... When will he hear the executioner's call?

Alternative poem that is a different riddle, differing only by the last line from the one we work with. Suggests that given the first five lines we could end up with multiple valid solutions. Nice I guess, but much too vague to be of any other use than confirming your line of thought towards the end. If it produces multiple solutions with five lines and one specific for either sixth line, then you're probably correct. For now I don't make much of this.

"
3) Players who speak a certain language are more likely to solve the riddle.

Pretty similar to the previous one. If you manage to find something decisively language related that fits, you're probably on track. As a hint to get you started, it doesn't seem very useful.

"
4) The answer is not a NPC

Now here be substance! This rules out a major chunk of options. Effectively all friendly characters you encounter. Arguably also any hostile unique monsters, depending on what OP's take on those being NPC's is. Is, say Atziri, an NPC? I think she definately is. Ruling out all NPC's in this broad sense leaves us with characters or persons we never actually interact with, i.e. people that are only references in flavour texts, lore and such. It also leaves the option that the solutin is not a character or person at all. Rather say a place (not sure how to exile a place), civilization or something like that. Finally it does leave player characters as an option. Not sure how to work on that, though.
Accepting hostile NPC's as viable solutions doesn't add many options. The obvious call here is one of the Rogue Exiles, but there seems to be virtually no lore, background information or really anything available for them. Correct me if I'm wrong here. As mentioned above, Hillock would have been a decent choice at least for the first stanza, but he is ruled out by Hint 1 (We meet him in person early on, and his background is available in Lioneye's watch in the Letters of Exile). Both Oak and Kraityn have also been ruled out by "wrong guesses". Allira wouldn't make much sense since the riddle talks about a male figure. Thus I'm out of hostile exiles in Wraeclast.
To ponder on: look for more exiles in the wild, consider the option of our solution not being a person at all.

"
5) We're looking for a name

As opposed to a class or anything generic I guess.

Thanks for reading if you did. Any input on the "to ponder on" part is greatly appreciated.
"
Suffiksi wrote:
Dumping my thoughts hint-by-hint, since I've spent way more time pondering on this riddle than I'd care to admit. A few new possible tracks of thought here, at least in the sense that they haven't been mentioned in previous posts.

Thanks for telling me that, it makes me feel that creating this riddle was worth the time!

"
"
1) A player that only knows the first act cannot solve the riddle

I'm pretty sure this one doesn't carry any "hidden" content. Suffice to say it means you need to progress to at least to some point of Act II to have the necessary knowledge to solve the riddle. Also rules out Hillock, who would've been a pretty prime candidate otherwise.

Yep.

"
"
2)... When will he hear the executioner's call?

Alternative poem that is a different riddle, differing only by the last line from the one we work with. Suggests that given the first five lines we could end up with multiple valid solutions. Nice I guess, but much too vague to be of any other use than confirming your line of thought towards the end. If it produces multiple solutions with five lines and one specific for either sixth line, then you're probably correct. For now I don't make much of this.

It's not that the first five lines would end up in multiple solutions. As I said, that riddle tells a story about a very certain character. The answer to the first poem is the character's name. The second poem just asks another question about this story.

"
"

Pretty similar to the previous one. If you manage to find something decisively language related that fits, you're probably on track. As a hint to get you started, it doesn't seem very useful.

The problem is, to solve the riddle you have to know a certain detail that can be found in Wraeclast. And I guess most of you just don't know of it's existence. When I gave this hint my hopes were that the people who know about it would realize that it's the key to solve the riddle.

"
"
4) The answer is not a NPC

Now here be substance! This rules out a major chunk of options. Effectively all friendly characters you encounter. Arguably also any hostile unique monsters, depending on what OP's take on those being NPC's is. Is, say Atziri, an NPC? I think she definately is. Ruling out all NPC's in this broad sense leaves us with characters or persons we never actually interact with, i.e. people that are only references in flavour texts, lore and such. It also leaves the option that the solutin is not a character or person at all. Rather say a place (not sure how to exile a place), civilization or something like that. Finally it does leave player characters as an option. Not sure how to work on that, though.
Accepting hostile NPC's as viable solutions doesn't add many options. The obvious call here is one of the Rogue Exiles, but there seems to be virtually no lore, background information or really anything available for them. Correct me if I'm wrong here. As mentioned above, Hillock would have been a decent choice at least for the first stanza, but he is ruled out by Hint 1 (We meet him in person early on, and his background is available in Lioneye's watch in the Letters of Exile). Both Oak and Kraityn have also been ruled out by "wrong guesses". Allira wouldn't make much sense since the riddle talks about a male figure. Thus I'm out of hostile exiles in Wraeclast.
To ponder on: look for more exiles in the wild, consider the option of our solution not being a person at all.

I can't really comment on this.

"
"
5) We're looking for a name

As opposed to a class or anything generic I guess.

I tried to rule out metaphorical answers here.
"
kahzin wrote:
"
"

The problem is, to solve the riddle you have to know a certain detail that can be found in Wraeclast. And I guess most of you just don't know of it's existence. When I gave this hint my hopes were that the people who know about it would realize that it's the key to solve the riddle.

Is it Raulo / Fidelitas ? He's certainly sentenced again to pay with his life.

Or Maligaro? I think he was executed rather than exiled though.

Or what about Captain Arteri? He is kind of exiled, because he was seeking a few rewards of his own.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Wasn't Fidelitas' name changed from one thing to another? That might fit "the first to hear the executioner's call". I remember Charan being pissed off about it.
Above you Shags - Raulo
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info