So are you going to continue the trend of no legacy items?

"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
Miská wrote:
You aint gonna get the league mods in standard while they are current. That would be the stupidest thing they could ever do. For obvious reasons. Hearing people asking for cats that bark is tiring.

Those obvious reasons which you listed, right?

I think asking for a cat that isn't muted is more the analogy.

Temp leagues are fresh economies, a fresh ladder with petty 'challenges' and MTX rewards, they do that without being bribe-deprive content design. People will play temp leagues who want to play temp leagues for those reasons.

What for you need fresh economies? Because perm league one is broken? Why is it broken then?
Solve the problem, because you are not doing it, you are just runing from it. Runing from problems is bad solution for everything in life.

Games shouldnt create new economy each few months but have one stabilized one where both players and developers work on it to be healthy.

The game could have just two leagues (permanent ones) and be linked to sub leagues giving MTX as a reward for player competition activities and challanges. I dont see any other point than "runing from economy" to create seperate content where you need to play from scrach.

Actualy thats what makes the game so unpopular. Most people with common sense wont see a point to reply 90% of content just to expriance 10% more. Logical person will just buy new game and expriance 100% of new content. You can reply content maybe 1 or 2 times, but anything over it sems unresonable. Other way is to reply content that is 1 hour long (in cycle time) not 100 hours long like GGG has to offer.
Probably over 50% of current playerbase of POE is composed of maniacs and fans thats why it is so low comparing to possible potential of this game.
"
Antnee wrote:
"
zzang wrote:
So this basically means items that have an unique mod which can be changed without affecting other items usually go legacy. While items that have a mod other items use aswell usually dont go legacy?

But then, Mjolnir.

So, what the fuck.

I can try and explain how, as far as I an aware, they do the items behind the scenes. Its useful information if you care about what items go legacy etc in the future as then you know what they can and cant do at least.

some of my terminology may be off and this is only how I understand it works from prodding on the subject a lot until Mark_GGG came into a few threads and properly explained it in a way I wasnt getting from looking around at what others were saying. What I describe is not how it really works in detail, I dont know the details, but its close enough to understand the mechanism I hope.

Basically they cant change the data stored on the item itself, they can only change the global data base and do some limited, incredibly messy little visual hacks to the numbers we see displayed on our items. So the key here seems to be understanding what data is stored on the item and what data is coming from the database. Lets take an item here for an example...

the item has 5 mods and I believe they all have variables that are held on the item. Lets just look at the important one, the physical taken as lightning, whats on the item whats on the database for this one mod?

Ok, on the item something like this will be stored for that mod...

Reference database line #1873
X1 = 30
X2 = Physical
X3 = Lightning

What will then be stored in the database will be something like this...

display text on the item:
"X1% of X2 damage taken as X3 damage"

insert maths that gives the player this damage taken conversion.

So the 3 variables on the item they cannot change. They can change all the text around those variables and they can change the maths that gives it function in the game, but the values themselves that go in those X spots are fixed.

They could change this drastically if they wanted, they could change the database line to this...

display text on the item:
"X1% of X2 damage added as extra X3 damage"

insert maths that gives the player this damage conversion.

and then the coil will say...

"30% of physical damage added as extra lightning damage"

and it will work. But then it wouldnt only change coil, but every other item that uses this database line. So Cloak Of Flame etc will change to...

"20% of physical damage added as extra fire damage"

ToH flask, whatever else has this mod. They could do "30% of physical attack damage leeched as life per lightning golem you have active", but they cant change 30% to 20% or to 40% etc.

What they did with leech was a bit of trickery. They could change the database line and how leech worked but they couldnt change our old t1 6% values. But because they were changing the entire mod evenly across all instances of it in play they were able to simply change the maths in the data base to divide incoming leech values by 5, then they put a visual hack in where the game would recognize a leech stat and visually display to you 1/5 of the number. So when you find a t1 life leech amulet now, it still has a value of 6 for the % leech, thats still the roll, but the game jumps in an shows u 1.2% and the maths behind it chops it down to the same. Now and forever whenever GGG add a new life leech item to the game they have give the item 5x as much leech as they want it to have because the game converts it down on the fly, that is why its such an ugly thing to do.

We are presuming this is how they are dealing with Chaos conversion. They wont actually change any of the items rolls when it drops, they will just change the maths and then put something in place that will take any chaos conversion stat it sees and display it as 60% of its original value when displaying text on an item. Its universal to the point where every new chaos conversion item they add for the rest of time will have to be given more conversion that they want it to have because it will get dragged into this messy fix. If they want to add a new 60% conversion item they have to give it 100%, and thats megamessy because if they were ever to reverse the voltaxic nerf the new item would also jump 'back' to 100%.

So even if an item is the only item in the game to have that stat, it may still be that they have left the door open for other items to use the mechanic and it has been written out with X1, X2, X3 type variables that cannot be changed as their values are written on the item. They can do a mess fix like the leech fix but it will mean its that bit more complex and messy to ever make an item using that stat again. Its very much a last ditch resort where they see no other choice but to do this, and can only happen with very limited stats as its a global mess that will effect every item that has them.

"
Yeah that manifesto actually does need to come out it could calm the shitstorm of a hurricane lol

lol, a shitstorm can be calmed? Maybe a little optimistic :D

HEY it can go into a hurricane 4 into a THREE that's GOOD!
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on May 25, 2016, 2:51:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info