Honest review right?

"
BearCares wrote:

virtual worlds without instructions attached can actually feel more immersive because guess what, the real world doesn't give you instructions either, you tend to fuck it up before you can get it right

The shear breadth of knowledge required to learn PoE's mechanics makes a blind playthrough more frustrating than immersive, IMO. Vendor recipes is a good example. Even as an experienced player, I wouldn't enjoy leveling in a new league without vendor recipes, and yet new players won't even know they exist unless they turn other players or the wiki for support.

That's not even mentioning the vast number of complex interactions between skills/items, some of which are so confusing that GGG frequently hops on the forums to explain them.

If you're implying that you've stuck with POE for this long without researching ANY game mechanics on your own, than you must be an unusual case. My guess is that the majority of long-term players discovered the wiki/forums/global chat early on in their POE career, whereas those who had no support eventually got fed up and quit (see the statistic about 50% of players not making it past Brutus).
Almost as good as some Amazon reviews :D
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
I just wanna know if he really had a bad luck pera pack spawned right outside or not.
And if he failed to equip a weapon or use the gem, that can surely feel like a brick wall.
"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
I actually kind of feel bad for the guy. PoE DOES have a steep learning curve. I played D3 for years and could absolutely faceroll through that game within a couple of hours and developed some cockiness because of it. I heard this was a better ARPG by far (which it is), and from my very first playthrough, I felt like I stepped into a world of shit. And talisman was nowhere near as in your face as perandus is. At least in talisman you could opt to not activate the stone pillar areas and go on about your way. I can only imagine what must have been going through that person's mind when they first step out onto the coast for the first time, with no knowledge of the game's mechanics at all, only to be roflstomped by a horde of constant respawning mobs of enemies that you normally don't even encounter until act 3 (like evangelists).

Should the game have gotten a negative review? No, I don't think it should have. I think the guy should have stuck with it because this game is one where once you get past the initial learning rips, it gets more enjoyable each time you play. But I can totally understand where a brand new player could get decimated to the point of rage-quitting.
Well if he really ran into perandus mobs just outside of town, I can undersatand his frustration, not his review though.
And as a side note , this
"
tacotiklah wrote:
...roflstomped by a horde of constant respawning mobs of enemies that you normally don't even encounter until act 3 (like evangelists)...

should have been addressed from the beginning. Perandus mobs should be of the type of the area they spawn in, imho.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Last edited by Wazz72 on May 2, 2016, 6:07:07 AM
i blame the fat guy.
"
bornochis wrote:
i blame the fat guy.

BUt all he wants is his coins back, and maybe some love,... just give him - be nice!
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
Looks like the review I would leave about Dark Souls if I hadn't figured out how to get past the Asylum Demon. I died to that fucker like 10 times before I figured out you're supposed to run past him.
Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!
"
viciousnugget wrote:
Looks like the review I would leave about Dark Souls if I hadn't figured out how to get past the Asylum Demon. I died to that fucker like 10 times before I figured out you're supposed to run past him.

Oh, I imagine there are a number of reviews just like that :) You either have a challenging game and disgruntled players who didn't live up to the challenge, or you have a handholding cakewalk. Can't have the pie and eat it, too.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
To be fair, for a new player start of his PoE adventure might look like this:

You wash out on a beach.
You move extremely slowly.
You attack extremely slowly.
You miss a lot.
You get stunned out of the attack animation a lot.
You probably tried to default-attack every single zombie for 60 minutes before actually reaching Hillock.
You have no idea how to manage your flasks for Hillock. You die.
You have no idea how to do ANYTHING.
Somehow you still reach camp. Eventually. You step out into the next zone and
You get destroyed by the overtuned Perandus mobs. Repeat 100 times.

All that will lead to a very painful experience. Game doesn't tell you anything. How is a new player supposed to know what to do?
Last edited by toyotatundra on May 2, 2016, 10:02:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info