Honest review right?

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Spoiler
"
Disrupted wrote:
I remember one guy that sucked blizzard dick like hell - and actually "liked" D3 back when pretty much everybody but the most morbidly obese WoWdrone could agree that it was shit (hear its much better now) - tried this and with like 12 mins playtime said, and I quote, "it is shit, it doesnt even have quests"
See this right here?

Shit design. Needs "Quests: Travel to the right" in the upper right corner.

>.>

<.<

>.>

You know you're playing an AAA game if your first task is "Press right to move your character to the right"...
But in all seriousness, Twilight Strand has a very "World 1-1" structure (good design!) and that one "doesn't have quests" line really grinds my gears.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
But in all seriousness, Twilight Strand has a very "World 1-1" structure (good design!) and that one "doesn't have quests" line really grinds my gears.

I know what you mean. Maybe they should add a huge overlay text after you killed the zombie sth like
Q1: "You found a weapon. Now survive!"

>.<

That's really pathetic, i agree.
... just realized, isn't "Kill Hillock" actually a quest?? How hard did that guy fail? D:
"
toyotatundra wrote:
To be fair, for a new player start of his PoE adventure might look like this:

You wash out on a beach.
You move extremely slowly.
You attack extremely slowly.
You miss a lot.
You get stunned out of the attack animation a lot.
You probably tried to default-attack every single zombie for 60 minutes before actually reaching Hillock.
You have no idea how to manage your flasks for Hillock. You die.
You have no idea how to do ANYTHING.
Somehow you still reach camp. Eventually. You step out into the next zone and
You get destroyed by the overtuned Perandus mobs. Repeat 100 times.

All that will lead to a very painful experience. Game doesn't tell you anything. How is a new player supposed to know what to do?

Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
"
silumit wrote:
"
tacotiklah wrote:
Should the game have gotten a negative review? No, I don't think it should have. I think the guy should have stuck with it because this game is one where once you get past the initial learning rips, it gets more enjoyable each time you play. But I can totally understand where a brand new player could get decimated to the point of rage-quitting.
That's you saying. You, who already know this. The guy in question doesn't, and the game didn't give him a chance to discover it. So the game deserves this review. Even if it may look undeserved. Because from new player's point it is.

Note that I followed that paragraph with this...

"
tacotiklah wrote:
But I can totally understand where a brand new player could get decimated to the point of rage-quitting.

This game can and WILL be harsh to you when you start. Many other ARPGs reward you for killing everything in an area, but this game (outside of challenges) actually rewards efficiency more. But you won't know that until you've gotten to the point where you've killed Malachi in merciless with a few different builds, and then have the point really reinforced when you try your hand at mapping.

And other ARPGs value unique items above all else and treat them as the gold standard GG items needed to faceroll through the game. In this game however, many uniques are crap (outside of very niche uses or leveling items) and rare items can actually be much better. But for a new person, they won't know how to gear their character, which further amplifies how badly they get stomped. In short, the game is harsher on you than most other ARPGs. But it's why there's a rabid fanbase behind it as well. Once you get past the learning curve, the game's possibilities seem almost infinite.

I guess my point is that feel bad for the guy because I totally get why he'd hate the game, but I'm kinda sad that he ragequit because the game gets so much better if you stick with it and learn from your failures.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info